Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Hub Bearing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Bearing Replacement

I need to replace my right front hub bearing. I decided since im at 200,000mi i might as well do both fronts at once and hopefully be good for another 200,000. I'm trying to find good instructions on how to do it but everything i find tells me when I get to the point of getting the hub off the car to take to a machine shop to have it pressed out. Being as I am a manager of a Machine shop that shouldn't be to hard, it just that i have no idea what to press out. Will i see the bearing in there easily? I just replaced my CV axle and i was trying to see the Bearing but i wasn't exactly sure if i was looking at the right thing. if anyone can give me descriptive detail on this it would be great. thanks in advance.
    Click to see ride.↓↓

you should see it after you remove the axle,there are also 4 10mm 12point bolts that you need to remove .

-->751 whp @ 27psi <--...Midnight Tuning <----

Comment

My understanding is (without having done it myself yet) that one way to do this is:

If you remove the 4 10mm bolts, then thread some really long 10mm bolts in their place, (long enough to stand back from the knuckle to allow you to hammer on the bolt heads), you can then usually hammer on the heads of the long bolts and that will shock and press/remove the hub and rotor assembly from the knuckle.

Then you can take that assembly hub and rotor assembly and press the rotor away from the hub or vice versa in a press.

Since you're putting in a new hub unit it doesn't really matter if you mess the old one up while removing it.

That's how I believe it can be done without removing the steering knuckle from the car.

The hub/rotor assembly is supposed to just slide off once unbolted but never does by all accounts, it usually gets seized on.

Comment

Originally posted by project93 View Post
        I just replaced my CV axle and i was trying to see the Bearing but i wasn't exactly sure if i was looking at the right thing. if anyone can give me descriptive detail on this it would be great. thanks in advance.

Well, remember when you put the end stub of the CV axle into the hub unit, then threaded the axle bolt on it? If you looked closely at where the axle went in, (and I'm sure you did), it has a splined pattern all around the inside of it to mate with the splines on the the axle end. That splined area is the inner sleeve of the hub unit, and it is assembled over the rotor on a normal cb7. If you had taken your finger and pressed on the hub splines, you would see that they rotate under hard finger pressure (or if your hub is shot, under much lighter finger pressure).

The hub and rotor are attached to the knuckle by 4 bolts I believe. Again, I haven't done the job but I've looked at the hub and read about doing the job.

hope that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X