Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's new-ish car shopping time again!

Hey everyone!
    Sorry I haven't been posting much. I'm here many times a day keeping an eye on things, but I haven't been as active as I once was. That's changing, I hope!
    The last year and a half has been nonstop craziness... some good, some bad, and some just plain exhausting. Things are finally on the upswing, though.

Anyway, part of the craziness is that I just started a new job. This job is 30+ miles away, all high-speed highway driving. Unlike my last job, with a commute that involved a ton of traffic, this job is quick and easy!
    When I got my last job, I picked up my current 05 Accord Hybrid. It's nice enough, but it's pretty beat up. I like the power, the fuel economy is acceptable, and it's reasonably comfortable... but I think it might be time to step it up.

I'm currently exploring my options for something to replace the old Accord. The CTS-V might be sold to help fund whatever I settle on, which means I'll have more cash to work with.

If I sell the CTS-V, I'm thinking I can spend $20,000-$22,000. If I don't sell the CTS-V, then probably $10,000-$12,000. I'm expecting to get $2,500 for the Accord.

Here's what I'm looking for:
    -30+mpg (I can skew heavy on the highway mpg ratings, since the majority of my travels will be at 65+mph.) I'm not opposed to hybrid or diesel.
    -Reliability. Sadly, that means no Alfa Romeo for me!
    -Comfort. Seriously. I want to drive a couch to work.
    -Noise insulation. Going hand in hand with comfort... I want a quiet, serene ride to and from work. I've never really had this in a car, and I'd like to experience an isolated cabin for once!
    -Attractiveness. I don't simply want an appliance. I want something pretty. I know that's wholly subjective.
    -Power. I don't need a ton... but I'll be merging onto a 2 lane highway where people are regularly going 80+ in both lanes... so I need to be able to get up to speed! Most modern cars will probably meet my needs... but I just want to put that out there.
    -Newer. I don't plan to buy new, but I want something fairly current. Ideally, something current-generation, or recently departed last-generation. Depending on the car, 2012 is the absolute oldest I'd consider.

Bonus:
    - Fancy features - I don't need much, but I at least want Bluetooth connectivity. I could always add aftermarket stuff to get the cool features, but it's better if a car just comes with them! Again, probably not hard to do in a newer car.
    - Prestige - A fancy badge isn't a necessity... but anyone who has read my threads on this topic in the past knows that I'm a sucker for a luxury brand.
    - Manual transmission. It's not an absolute necessity, but I wouldn't mind a stick again. I opted for an automatic for my traffic-clogged commute to my old job, but it is no longer a necessity.
    - CPO warranty. Again, not necessary... but since I'm still looking at used cars, CPO gives me near-new protection, which is nice.

Handling doesn't matter. It can handle like a moose on ice for all I care.
    FWD, RWD, AWD... doesn't matter.
    I'm not looking to modify whatever I get. I still have the Miata for that, and I intend to get at least one or two other project cars down the line.

I definitely DO NOT want another Accord, and likewise, no Camry. I've had enough of Accords, and even though the last two generations have been fantastic, I just want to get away from them this time around! The Camry has never appealed to me, and while it definitely meets practically every one of my wants, I just... can't.

Currently, my sensible side is telling me to get a Mazda6. 2017-2018 model years are well within my target price range. Mazda isn't a luxury brand, but they've REALLY stepped up their game. To get a really good one, though, I'll need to sell the Caddy... and it hurts to dump my hotrod Cadillac for a Mazda sedan that doesn't even make 200hp.

My less sensible side is considering hybrid and/or diesel models from BMW, Lexus, Mercedes Benz, Infiniti, and Audi.

Sorry for the long rant! Can anyone help me brainstorm?
    I'm open to suggestions, personal experiences, and pretty pictures.

Comfort, attractiveness, power, newer. I'm reading that it looks like noise insulation and reliability are there. Ballistic door panels make up for the lack of mpgs. Plus, people in front of you are likely to get out of your way, further easing your commute.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...071552124.html

Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-09-2020, 11:59 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Toyota Avalon, Lincoln just about anything, Lexus IS250/200T or ES350, MMC ILX, pre-MMC TLX, base model Cadillac ATS.

My initial though before you established your year limit was "used LS400/430/460", but you probably can't get one that new on your budget.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

As I read this, it sounds like a newish Mazda 6 with the turbo engine would fit most of the parameters. They haven't paired the engine with a manual in that car though.

As an obscure suggestion, the Infiniti M56, might fit most of the prerequisites also. It is kinda an acquired taste aesthetically and the Infiniti brand equity seems to be eroding at an alarming pace these days. The V8 variant likely will be thirsty as well.

http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Forgot to add: Caddy XTS.

If you want isolation, IMO, you are looking at Lexus, Caddy or Lincoln. Maybe certain years of Benz, but that could get a lot more expensive.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

I recently bought a new 2019 insight and am in love
            What ever happened to your cb7?
            Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
            93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

I'd go Lexus as well....

If you want to get divorced...
              335d
              265hp
              424lb-ft
              35+ mpg
              Prestige-ish
              *Reliability
              Comfort
              Fun
              Torque
              Diesel noises

*Once you do a delete, there's nothing else to really break except traction. If you do a tune, you can get 600 wtq and about 40 mpg. Make sure you can still get registered with a delete and you're golden.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

A Honda Fit.

The Mazda 6 seems very appealing. You can actually find a current gen in manual, but I'm sure its a matter of finding one. It was on the base model up until last year and who knows how many are out there.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...l-killed-2019/

The Acura ILX was also available in manual at one point if you don't mind one of those. Not sure how isolated it'll be for you though.

I didn't mind the previous generation (2011-2019) VW Passat. The GT was one of my favorites and got okay highway mileage if you didn't thrash it. Find a <'15 TDI and you can get up to 42 mpg. IMO it was a decent couch.

Comment

2015 Buick Regal GS manual. You can thank me later.

or 2017 Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Unmarked Detective Model - for the civilian in you)

Last edited by Straight Success; 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM.
                  The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I vote for an x5 diesel and get it deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                      Comfort, attractiveness, power, newer. I'm reading that it looks like noise insulation and reliability are there. Ballistic door panels make up for the lack of mpgs. Plus, people in front of you are likely to get out of your way, further easing your commute.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...071552124.html

I like these. Just so you guys know, on these they can have a stretched timing chain. Once the tensioner gets maxed out or it jumps a tooth on a cam gear it's a pretty bad deal. You get a CEL for it before hand but some sellers can hide it by clearing the code. The SHO 3.5 EcoBoost I guess isn't as notorious for this as the F series 3.5 EcoBoost but it does happen. No worries though if you want one, from what I've read just give it a good test drive and check for stored codes or a pending code. I like the SHO and might purchase one some day. From what I've read this is about the only thing to look for in the new SHO that isn't obvious or might be easily hidden from a potential buyer.

Comment

The newer Mazda 6 can be had pretty cheap from what I'm seeing with the 2.5turbo option.

I'm not a fan of the exterior styling, but the interior design is excellent, barring the terrible infotainment.

Also - don't sleep on the Hyundai Genesis (before they spun off the brand). I think it still looks pretty sharp and the interior rivals mid-range luxury marques.
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Another option you could do would be the new 2018+ Acura RLX Hybrid. Has the NSX drive train but swapped around. Not as much power obviously but the rear has the electric motors to push the car around. I don't think it was offered in a manual. It might just be worth checking out as you would have an almost new car.

Hybrid models feature the VCM capability as well, with an added start-stop system to boost fuel economy further as well as the ability to operate entirely on electric power up to 58 miles per hour with light throttle usage. The hybrid also uses a 7-speed dual clutch transmission using an integrated 35 kW (47 hp) electric motor, with each rear wheel being powered by a 27-kilowatt (36 hp) electric motor, with 2 rear electric motors total. This setup gives the hybrid a torque vectoring all-wheel drive system with rear wheels strictly electrically powered.

A 72-cell 1.3 kWh 66 pound lithium-ion battery pack is placed behind the rear seat. Total system power output on hybrid is rated at 377 hp at 6,500 rpm and 341 lb-ft of torque at 4,700 rpm. EPA estimated fuel economy is improved to 29/30/29 mpg (city/highway/combined). It is given a CARB emissions rating of LEV III SULEV30 compared to the non-hybrids ULEV-2 ranking.

377 hp and 341 tq would feel really nice getting up on the highway I'm sure. With a decent gas mileage.
                          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

2018+ RLX is about $10k over his stated "if I sell the CTS" budget

Comment

After Volkswagen did a cost benefit analysis on violating the clean air act and came to the conclusion that destroying the atmosphere would be more profitable than what they would pay in fines for doing so, I came to the conclusion that I would never support there business.
                              VW, Audi, Porsche, Ducati, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini are not an option for me. I had to sell my Veyron, lol
                              My suggestion would be the infiniti Q70 hybrid. RWD, Luxury, 31 mpg average, 2016 going on cargurus for 23.3k. And it looks pretty sexy to me

Comment

Working...
                              X