CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 08-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #1
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
91 ex fuel pressure issue

Fuel system having an issue maintaining pressure on my 91 ex. Takes a few minutes to get it to crank but once it cranks it's fine, hesitates some but does not cut off like it's a fuel pump.

Checked injectors, regulator and not leaking anywhere.

Anyone ever had this issue? Thinking it's something in the fuel tank.
EG9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG9 View Post
Fuel system having an issue maintaining pressure on my 91 ex. Takes a few minutes to get it to crank but once it cranks it's fine, hesitates some but does not cut off like it's a fuel pump.

Checked injectors, regulator and not leaking anywhere.

Anyone ever had this issue? Thinking it's something in the fuel tank.
How long as this been happening and how do you know it's related to fuel pressure?
Bunta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
blind_peach
CB7tuner Member

blind_peach is cool... so far.
Have you checked your fuel cap? I have no idea why, but just today as I was filling up gas, I went to take off the fuel cap and some hissing noise as if air was escaping came out
blind_peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunta View Post
How long as this been happening and how do you know it's related to fuel pressure?
Just bought the car couple weeks ago and started driving it Thursday.

Took it to a local shop, place called NTB on Friday. They tried figuring it out but couldn't figure it out. They tried a new regulator but keeps wanting to lose pressure.

I'm also getting a TCM code 13 if anyone thinks that may have something to do with it. Going to run by a local transmission shop see if they can figure out what the TCM code issue could be.

I'm not sure it's even the original motor for this Accord and if it's not the original motor/trans I've read that could be the issue with the TCM not matching the trans if it didn't come out of a 91 ex.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_peach View Post
Have you checked your fuel cap? I have no idea why, but just today as I was filling up gas, I went to take off the fuel cap and some hissing noise as if air was escaping came out
I'll check the cap out tomorrow. Always a possibility.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Quote:
Just bought the car couple weeks ago and started driving it Thursday.

Took it to a local shop, place called NTB on Friday. They tried figuring it out but couldn't figure it out. They tried a new regulator but keeps wanting to lose pressure.

I'm also getting a TCM code 13 if anyone thinks that may have something to do with it. Going to run by a local transmission shop see if they can figure out what the TCM code issue could be.

I'm not sure it's even the original motor for this Accord and if it's not the original motor/trans I've read that could be the issue with the TCM not matching the trans if it didn't come out of a 91 ex.
There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking. Honestly I wouldn't trust a tire shop (if you are referring to the NTB I'm thinking of) to diagnose car problems. If you need a professional take it to Honda.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Quote:
There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking. Honestly I wouldn't trust a tire shop (if you are referring to the NTB I'm thinking of) to diagnose car problems. If you need a professional take it to Honda.
Probably the same NTB but always good people there when I've dealt with them in the past. Didn't charge me a thing and they messed with it off an on yesterday. I can't complain about them other than the coffee isn't great. At least I know now that it's more than likely some in the gas tank (or gas cap......hopefully!!!).
Old 08-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
accordlove
CB7tuner Member

accordlove is cool... so far.
you said you think you don't have pressure or you know you don't? do you hear your fuel pump prime (hum) when you turn your key to the on position?
accordlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordlove View Post
you said you think you don't have pressure or you know you don't? do you hear your fuel pump prime (hum) when you turn your key to the on position?
Sorry I'll rephrase........

NTB used a fuel pressure gauge and it keeps losing pressure somewhere in the system.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
How quickly is it loosing pressure? Does it hold pressure once the engine is running?

If your not seeing fuel leaking anywhere and your cylinders aren't flooding with fuel (Leaking injectors), I would say the check valve in the pump is passing fuel back into the tank.

Check your spark plugs/cylinders and see if any of them are wet with fuel after you shut off the car.

Turn your key forward 2-3 times, let the pump prime each time and see if it will fire up right away.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #11
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
How quickly is it loosing pressure? Does it hold pressure once the engine is running?

If your not seeing fuel leaking anywhere and your cylinders aren't flooding with fuel (Leaking injectors), I would say the check valve in the pump is passing fuel back into the tank.

Check your spark plugs/cylinders and see if any of them are wet with fuel after you shut off the car.

Turn your key forward 2-3 times, let the pump prime each time and see if it will fire up right away.
It runs and drives just takes a few times to crank up. Does sputter a little every now and then when accelerating.

You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.

NTB checked everything at the spark plugs/cylinders/fuel injectors/fuel rail and all lines outside the tank, got a new fuel pressure regulator and tried that.

Seems to be the biggest problem when it's at a cold start and I have to turn the key on for a few minutes, even turn it a few times before it will crank.

Got a new gas cap for it today but so far don't think that is the problem but we'll see the next day or so.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Think I'm just going to replace the fuel pump and inspect/replace hoses back at the tank.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
accordlove
CB7tuner Member

accordlove is cool... so far.
Quote:
It runs and drives just takes a few times to crank up. Does sputter a little every now and then when accelerating.

You can hear the fuel pump when you turn the key on.

NTB checked everything at the spark plugs/cylinders/fuel injectors/fuel rail and all lines outside the tank, got a new fuel pressure regulator and tried that.

Seems to be the biggest problem when it's at a cold start and I have to turn the key on for a few minutes, even turn it a few times before it will crank.

Got a new gas cap for it today but so far don't think that is the problem but we'll see the next day or so.
Quote:
Think I'm just going to replace the fuel pump and inspect/replace hoses back at the tank.
unless you live in an area where rust is an issue, i doubt there is a leak. unless someone is sabotaging you... anyways pop your hood, find the fuel filter, look for the pressure line going to the fuel rail and see if it gets pressure. if not its either the filter or pump, if it is getting pressure id assume injectors, but from what i hear, our injectors dont fail often. im no expert mechanic either lol good luck.
accordlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #14
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d seems to have made some friends! fleetw00d seems to have made some friends!
Leaving the key in the "on" position without the engine running doesn't do any good to pressurize the system. The pump runs for 2 seconds after turning the key to "on", then shuts off until you actually turn the key to "start". Turning it "on" for 2 seconds, off, then "on" again (and maybe a 3rd time), then go to start and it starts right away; then it is likely the pump check valve. Before I dropped the tank to replace the pump, I'd try to run a bottle or two of good fuel system cleaner through the tank to maybe ungunk the check valve.

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583

Working to relink my pictures. Please be patient. If there is one you particularly want to see, let me know.
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #15
Bunta
CB7tuner Member

Bunta is cool... so far.
Quote:
There is a one way valve in the fuel pump I believe that helps hold the pressure, that may be leaking.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #16
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
New fuel pump and distributor but still have the slow cranking problem.

Did get the right TCM so the sport light is no longer flashing now
Had a TCM from a 94 LX so now trans shifts better lol!!!!

Next I'm going to check and make sure the ECU, intake manifold and motor are correct. Any difference between 90-91 and 92-93 ecu's? If the manifold is for a 91 and ecu is for a 92 how much difference is there?

Don't think it has the correct motor as it originally came with. Currently has the f22a4 and from what I've seen should have the f22a6. Still trying to do more research when I have spare time tho.......

I'll look and see what ecu is in later today.

Last edited by EG9; 08-30-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Pt3-a54 was in it but switched it out for a pt3-a72 and still the same. Gonna try a pt6-a50 and see what happens. Good thing these ecu's are cheap!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #18
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Just curious how different are the fuel injectors from a 92 LX f22a4 to a 91 f22a6?

Noticed the 92 LX ecu didn't have the light on the ecu as the 91 ecu has. Just wondering if the injectors are different from 91 to 92 just in case the injectors are from a 92 (thinking maybe the 92 intake manifold was used) when the 91 manifold/injectors should've been kept and used.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #19
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
They are the same.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #20
EG9
Newcomer

EG9 is cool... so far.
Forgot I had this post. Figured Id update.

Timing was off two teeth from previous owner doing the water pump/timing belt. That was the biggest issue which for the most part fixed the problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: