islandhopper : 1990 Accord DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember me?

Been a while since i made an actual update to this thread. This one's a doozy.

Anybody remember these bad-boys?

yup......NO MORE BB6 FOGS!!! Finally had a reason to polish up the driver's side fog and install them since i just recently nailed a racoon on a back-road going a little faster than i should have been. it was either hit the poor little guy or try an evasive maneuver at speed, on a narrow road, in a tricky spot. i had very little time to decide so i chose the soft squishy animal as opposed to the ditch, rocks and trees.

Felt super bad for the 'coon but not so much after i smelled coolant. He went thru my bumper cover and busted the radiator (broke the slats in front of the rad and cracked the lower tank)...not to mention it shattered the driver's side prelude fog and turn signal housing. didn't have time to snap pics since i was losing coolant so i scooted on home. Replaced the radiator the next morning but was left with an ugly hole where my BB6 fog and signal used to be...then i remembered i had some minty 90-91 fogs with yellow caps sitting in storage.

Fuck yeah. Threw them on and after splicing in a new ground wire (the B harness i had was missing one) and putting in some new bulbs they lit right up. I removed the shields in them to increase output. Wasn't sure if it would help but i think it did. The output is just as good as the 'lude fogs (which had non-fluted lenses) and just as yellow too thanks to the caps. Running standard 35w halogen bulbs.

The camera is intensifying the brightness of the fogs. They're still fairly dim but better than when they had shields. I made sure to aim them properly but really they're just there for aesthetics. I use them in the day-light as running lights since they're wired up independently from the headlights (super easy mod).

Here you can still see some of the blood, hair and dirt on the bumper that i missed. Was super gross bruh.

Kinda hard to tell but the three horizontal slats in front of the rad are just floppy now on the driver's side since the vertical pieces that hold them in place snapped. Needless to say it needs a new bumper cover...good thing i already have a new one! Also need a new driver's side turn-signal housing. Haven't had time to go to a junkyard and pull one but i will soon. Might grab both sides since the passenger side is polished and tinted and they'd look different.

She's dirty and tired but still as reliable as ever. Just got done with a road-trip to Utah and back. 1250miles without a hitch. well sorta...the 25yr old ignition relay decided to give up once i got there and refuses to switch when it's cold. once the ambient temp warms up it switches fine but is a pain in the ass when you're trying to go somewhere early in the AM. so 40bucks later i swapped it out for a new one and she's on the road again.

I'm still blown away by how dead fucking reliable this car has been. In more than 320,000miles on the original motor and trans it's never had a major mechanical issue that's left me stranded. The only other time it's done something like this is the main relay (which we all know is a common issue that's easily fixed with a 10mm socket and about $70 or a soldering iron ).

If you're still reading this log winded post, cool, now let me tell you about some upcoming plans i have for my CB...

I've been neglecting this poor thing for too long now. It needs some TLC. The CV on the passenger side chatters on tight right-had turns and i just found out the drivers side CV boot has a MASSIVE tear. it's not chattering but needs to be replaced. The transmission case has been cracked for over a year now...maybe two, i forget...and the JB weld i used isn't holding too well anymore so it leaks. leaks real bad. i have a low mileage F22A4 motor and H2U5 trans in storage so i'll be swapping that over when i get the time. But maybe not until i build the motor for boost. I have an old turbo manifold and down-pipe from NWAccord that i got at the Oregon spring meet that i'd love to put to use. We'll see. I still need to source the right turbo and internals. Hopefully i can pick his brain and see what is available. Would like to swap in an LSD as well. I'd be happy with 300hp.

As far as paint and body i don't think i'll be doing too much other than fixing the front bumper cover and getting a poly CD5 lip. I'm kinda partial to the ratty look it has going for it. I'd like it to look like shit and go like stink. but with great headlights and some rare parts that only CB guys could spot (I'm currently working a deal for some 90-91 JDM fogs and tails ). Need to re-finish the flushmount spoiler too before it freezes and splits open. And i think that's it...might get a rear windshield visor if i can find one but nothing else. just simple yet rare parts on a car that no one but CB guys can appreciate.

oh yeah, got some real Racing Hart C2's a few months ago from Nolan...need to get them re-finished and assembled. Would like some real caps/lug covers to finish them and use them as my show wheels...

k im done

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
      just simple yet rare parts on a car that no one but CB guys can appreciate.

k im done
      This is the best plan for these chassis
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

You are correct about only cb7 guys appreciating such things.

Comment

I'm assuming those racing harts are +38 offset?

Comment

from what i remember, i believe so. haven't had the time to go balls deep yet. they're sitting in storage waiting for me to clean them up. was thinking about re-barreling them to widen them for max contact patch. They're 17x7 right now, would like at least 17x8.5

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by islandhopper View Post
              from what i remember, i believe so. haven't had the time to go balls deep yet. they're sitting in storage waiting for me to clean them up. was thinking about re-barreling them to widen them for max contact patch. They're 17x7 right now, would like at least 17x8.5
              , how you going to make these fit? The 17x7 +38 I have wont fit with 0deg. camber. Are you going to fender roll or run neg. camber?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                , how you going to make these fit? The 17x7 +38 I have wont fit with 0deg. camber. Are you going to fender roll or run neg. camber?
                the RH Evo C2's i have on the CB right now are +42 and fit without rolled fenders running 215/45's. I'm sure a fender roller will tuck them no problem. honestly, i prefer a little negative camber (like -1.5deg) since i drive twisty roads for fun so a little more couldn't hurt too much if i need it.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Picture dump from today...

This makes me jealous. these kids were having way more fun than i was....i miss when snow days meant you'd get to play all day...

This kid was flyin', literally. caught air then landed on his rope and ate snow. got up laughing and ran back up the hill.

My Honda was a trooper. Took about 45min this morning to get to this point after defrosting and chipping away at the 1/2in of ice it was encased in after last night's freezing rain...

Went to the park to run around and be alone. Super nice out there in the snow. It makes everything SILENT when no one's around...i love it.

the ice was not solid enough to hold me. had to drive home with a wet foot and change my socks...:doh:

Snapped some pics of my beater before leaving.

As i was about to take off a lady in a Merc GL350 tried to turn around in the deep stuff with less than adequate tires and started spinning tire. So i offered to help her out. Got the shovel, dug a path out and hooked up my tow rope and pulled her out. Wasn't too bad. She was very thankful and tried to pay me. Declined the offer wished her well and went on my way.

Here's the Merc after she parked it. She let me jump in the driver's seat and try to rock it out, which was futile. I'm surprised it couldn't get itself out, even with 4wd. The gear selector is all electronic and confusing. Couldn't find low low. Tried my best but had to pull her out...

Got back up Aubrey butte without any issues. Still impressed by this little Honda. Always fun to scoot around in the snow with this thing...even if it plows sometimes.

The view from my uncles porch

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

How beautiful. Winter really is here.

I miss the innocence I had as a kid. It's one of the only things I would ever trade my CB to have back.
                    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Hey I got a dx bumper cover with cd5 lip on it if your in need of one and have a few sets of bumper lights!

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                      Wimp go low or go home haha
                      Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
                      Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

dude you're awesome. you've always got a horde of parts!

i actually have a rep DX cover. not sure how it'll fit. if it fits like ass then i'll nab that one from you. Definitely interested in the CD5 lip and signals though...i'll hit you up when i'm rollin' thru town.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

I can always make a trip down to Portland as well, ether way let me know.

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                          Wimp go low or go home haha
                          Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
                          Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

Man, i want to go to Oregon.

I've been through your build thread a few times now and each time i'm reassured that i want to black out my front end and rear bumper. It just looks good on 'cbs for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post

I've been through your build thread a few times now and each time i'm reassured that i want to black out my front end and rear bumper. It just looks good on 'cbs for some reason.
                              x2
                              It goes with the door moldings, side-skirts and various other pieces. Plus it looks aggressive, imo.

Sigh, I wish I could do nothing like a kid again. F responsibilities.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                                How beautiful. Winter really is here.

I miss the innocence I had as a kid. It's one of the only things I would ever trade my CB to have back.
                                Indeed.

Originally posted by Lucien View Post

Totally. i debated on whether or not to have the bumpers painted but eventually decided the BBB look was pretty awesome. Definitely going to stay that way. Glad i could be of some inspiration to you.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                                x2
                                It goes with the door moldings, side-skirts and various other pieces. Plus it looks aggressive, imo.

Sigh, I wish I could do nothing like a kid again. F responsibilities.
                                All you guys should come up to the PNW and play in the snow!

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Working...
                                X