Rear end alignment issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear end alignment issues

Went in for an alignment yesterday, and of course the bolt to adjust the rear toe sorta snapped when they tried turning it. The other problem is that the rear end has camber of around 0.3 degrees positive on each side.

Firstly, the toe bolt: I'm worried that to get the bolt out I might have to torch it which would result in the annihilation of the bushing. Seeing how the bushings are already pretty well worn, I'm just trying to decide whether to get the prothane bushings to replace the bushings in the stock toe arms, or to just replace the old arms with the megan arms like these

http://meganracing.com/products/prod...d=896&catid=54

Or the billet ones like these

http://www.fatfourcustoms.com/products_and_services

Not much for reviews on the megan ones, the fat four ones seem to have no reviews on this site. Even then, its only the rear ones that ever get reviews, never the toe arms. Anyway, of the options for stock toe arms with prothane bushings, the megan arms, or the billet arms, which would work best for a wagon lowered about 2-3 inches? I'm always concerned that aluminum is aluminum and might be too weak to use if I haul extra weight or anything like that. And of course the adjustable arms are tubular which means not as strong as a solid arm. Then there comes the question, if the toe is a little off and the camber is a little off, is it possible the stock ones are slightly warped and the prothane option should just be thrown out?

Next though is the camber question. Not sure how it got any positive camber since its lowered a little bit, could be the Vigor rear discs. But to correct positive camber and bring it closer to negative one degree, I think there are only two options, the Megan ones
    http://meganracing.com/products/prod...d=895&catid=54
    or the Ingalls
    http://import.neuspeed.com/174/0/0/8...ction-kit.html
    Of the two, is either one of the methods better/worse for correcting camber? I see Ingalls being nearly twice the price which may or may not be better quality. And the washer trick I'm pretty sure is only to give the car more positive camber.

I'm ranting I think, but I've been horribly sleep deprived lately, sorry. I think the Megan toe bar and the Ingalls camber kit might be the best combination, unless someone has some good advice one way or the other? Megan is Megan, always heard it's basically an ebay brand but a decent one for an ebay brand. Just would want to be sure it is at least as strong as the wagon toe bar. Or the wagon control arm if I do Megan for both. I know the megan control arms are "supposed" to be stronger than the stock arms, just not sure if it's stronger than the stamped steel ones used on the sedan/coupe or if it's also stronger than the solid cast one for the wagon. Anyway, end rant, opinions?

Rockauto has some adjustable rear upper arms too for $94 a piece, -2 to +3.5, Raybestos Pro, I suspect reboxed SPC but don't blame me if it's not.

Comment

That's basically the same price as the Ingall's kit. No idea which is better. Only advantage I can see off the top of my head is if you get the kit that does the upper arms, you can do the F&F rear lower control arms to save some unsprung weight. Unless there is some other advantage I'm not seeing yet?

Comment

heres what you should do, get the following items and you should be set

Megan racing rear lower control arms (all 4 pcs)

Megan racing, Ingalls, Wicked Tuning camber kit.

once you have these on your car, your alignment will be perfect. then you can set it to were ever you want.

Comment

In your second sentence, Megan racing, Ingalls, Wicked Tuning camber kit... are you talking about the one that replaces the upper control arm?

Okay... any secret trick for annihilating that old frozen toe adjustment bolt? I'm having trouble drilling it out, I don't wanna try torching it due to proximity to the gas tank, and the punch and hammer plus pb blaster method isn't working. And of course I don't want to chop up the old arm to get it off.
          Last edited by Sarthos; 07-10-2012, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X