Pictures of modified quarterpanels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of modified quarterpanels?

Has anyone on here modified their quarterpanels in order to prevent wheel rubbing with extremely low offset wheels, very wide tires, or very slammed cars?

I got my car aligned on Saturday and the rear driver's side wheel started rubbing on the quarterpanel. The guy first made an excuse that he heard the exhaust rubbing on the sway bar (because apparently the metal exhaust rubbing on the metal sway bar sounds exactly like a rubber tire rubbing on a metal quarterpanel... even though the sound clearly comes from the opposite side of the car). After being showed the rub marks, the guy claimed that because I have 205/65/15s that that must be the problem, ignoring the fact that those tires have been on there for over a year with no problem. He then blamed the car's lowering springs (only Teins which offer like a 2" drop, before putting the Konis on their highest perch setting, which have also been on there over a year with no problem), at which point he told me I needed stiffer shocks to compensate for the drop, which is when I pointed out that my Koni Yellows are about as stiff as you get. At that point he then tried to sell me new, smaller tires (which I already explained weren't the problem). He also failed to understand that if either of those were the problem, then it should be occuring on both sides of the car, not just one.

So, since it's not worth my time to show up at every Tires Plus I can find every day and wearing through my tires trying to fix whatever they screwed up, I'm gonna have to modify the quarterpanels to give myself better clearance. Rolling the lip was nowhere near enough, so time for some more drastic measures. Does anyone here have pictures of Accords with quarterpanels that have been stretched, flared, or radiused to better accommodate such wheels? I'm gonna start by grinding off the bottom edges of the quarterpanels, just not sure where to go from there, looking for some good inspiration here :/

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=190005

0 offset wheels, about as crazy of a "stance" ive seen on a cb. And it looks damn good. Goodluck

Comment

Pics...? I had to roll my fenders with a slight stretch, and I don't rub with an 8inch wide wheel and a +9 offset... Your tire size is the same as a CR-V almost, why so big?

Comment

fender roller!

CB7Tuner Resident Gamer!
        PSN: JDMcb7TX

Comment

@Junior Smurff: Are you sure the quarters are modified on that car? It looks to me like it might just be extreme negative camber causing the clearance?

@N9netwoAccord: Sorry, the rear tires are 205/60/15. It has TL rims, that's the size that came on them. Your tires are the same width as mine, but you have a lower offset (I have +44, but my Vigor rear discs are supposedly equivalent to a 15 mm spacer, resulting in a +29 offset). So your tires should stick out 20 mm wider than mine, how do you avoid rubbing? Are your coilovers set really high, or do you have major negative camber? Also, what's with the "knotched strut towers"?

@JDM_CB7_TX: Already rolled the lip on the fenders.

And lousy cell phone pic, but here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
          Last edited by Sarthos; 08-01-2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I don't understand why you're concerned with "stancing" your car when your quarter panels look like that. You're already going to have to do a lot of welding to repair that mess, why not just make your own flares?

If you've got Vigor rear discs then that's what it causing this. It's effectively pushed the tires out to a point where they're under the lowest part of the quarter panel so they rub it on bumps. Combine that with a taller tire and a lowered vehicle and I don't understand why the answer isn't obvious. If you want to keep that setup you're going to have to flare those rear fenders.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Vigor rear discs, wider tires have been on it since last summer. Never had it rub until it got aligned on Saturday.

Anyway, looking for pics to try to see how exactly people like to modify their fenders on CBs. Apparently it's common on a lot of hot rods to just radius out the quarterpanel until it clears, I didn't think that'd be a particularly good way to go on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                @N9netwoAccord: Sorry, the rear tires are 205/60/15. It has TL rims, that's the size that came on them. Your tires are the same width as mine, but you have a lower offset (I have +44, but my Vigor rear discs are supposedly equivalent to a 15 mm spacer, resulting in a +29 offset). So your tires should stick out 20 mm wider than mine, how do you avoid rubbing? Are your coilovers set really high, or do you have major negative camber? Also, what's with the "knotched strut towers"?
                [/URL]
                I have a small stretch, and my rear fenders are roller with negative camber added. I guess you could call me "stanced" Your tire size is similar to a CR-V, (205/70/15) Ever since you corrected your alignment your wheel has been moved, it wasn't correct for the past two years I assume and now it is and it has been modified from the original equipment so I have to kind of see it as a multiple part problem.I have never seen this before though, but it might be a combination of everything that's been done. The discs, tire size and correcting the rear toe. What were your alignment specs?

Comment

The alignment specs were like 0.1 degrees positive camber, 0.66 degrees positive toe before. They changed it to 0.8 degrees negative camber and 0.24 degrees positive toe. The changes should have moved the top of the tire in by like 4 mm, and moved the front of the wheel in by 1.9 mm. I'm not sure how changes that small could have caused rubbing :/

Comment

my members rides....
                    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

My goal is to cut off a set of mk4 wheel flares and make fit, I'm runnin 9" wide konig rewinds. I know puttin dub parts on might bite me in the arse one day but should look good.

Comment

@Junior Smurff: Are you sure the quarters are modified on that car? It looks to me like it might just be extreme negative camber causing the clearance?

@JDM_CB7_TX: Already rolled the lip on the fenders.

And lousy cell phone pic, but here

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                        U may want to also look underneath ur factory side skirts and asess the rust that may be lurking under there

Comment

Eh, the rockers are one thing that I can fix relatively easy. The passenger's side is fine, the driver's is a bit messed up.

mk4 flares, sorry but I can't remember what the mk4 is, not a Lincoln is it? :/
                          I was considering taking a pair of front fenders and reversing them (right fender on left side, left fender on right side) and modifying those to fit in there.

Comment

Eh, the rockers are one thing that I can fix relatively easy. The passenger's side is fine, the driver's is a bit messed up.

mk4 flares, sorry but I can't remember what the mk4 is, not a Lincoln is it? :/
                            I was considering taking a pair of front fenders and reversing them (right fender on left side, left fender on right side) and modifying those to fit in there.
                            vw golf

Comment

Ah, not too familiar with VWs.

Comment

Working...
                              X