Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22b1 Forged Piston Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
    Now there is a catch to buying pistons before checking out the cylinders. If you are looking to buy stock sized pistons and the cylinders do end up requiring even just a little bit of work... Now you may not be able to get the piston to wall clearance that you wanted.

I realize that we are talking fractions of an inch. But that's all it takes to have a skirt or ring land wear sooner due to rocking/piston slap, every fraction counts in the end. As much of a PITA that it may be. It is better to check the bore before you buy the pistons. Specially if you are looking at staying stock bore.
    For the not so knowledgable (I just learned about this myself a few months ago), forged pistons expand more as they get hot than cast pistons. This makes the piston-to-cylinder wall clearance much more important with forged pistons that with cast pistons. In fact, what I read before is that you should get the forged pistons first, then send the pistons to the machine shop with the block so that they can bore the cylinders to exactly match the piston size.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
      For the not so knowledgable (I just learned about this myself a few months ago), forged pistons expand more as they get hot than cast pistons. This makes the piston-to-cylinder wall clearance much more important with forged pistons that with cast pistons. In fact, what I read before is that you should get the forged pistons first, then send the pistons to the machine shop with the block so that they can bore the cylinders to exactly match the piston size.

Thank you for bringing that up..... also a note, there are a couple different alloys in use with aftermarket forged pistons. Some expand less than others... depending on the composition.... Not all forged pistons are the same, 2618 vs. 4032 are comon forged Aluminum Alloy pistons!

I do realize that you need to have the cylinder bores sized to your pistons.... but it's always nice to have your block checked first before you buy a particular size piston...specially if that size is stock.... that's all I am saying.

Here is a hypothetical..... What happens if you buy 85mm forged pistons and you find out from the machine shop that your stock 85mm bores need to be bored out to 85.25mm, 85.5mm or 86mm? Even .25mm is a hell of a lot for a forged piston to make up in it's coefficient of thermal expansion. My Forged Wiseco pistons require only a 0.0762mm piston to wall clearance. If that isn't as much as you need to remove, you now have to take the pistons back and buy something over sized......
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-31-2014, 10:56 PM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Greats points...so definitely taking the block and head first is now my priority..
        F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Comment

Low silcon pistons vs. high silicon pistons.

DGOfTheCentury, check out the book "Honda/Acura Engine Performance" by Mike Kojima. It's old, lots of the info is fairly outdated, and it focuses mainly on B and D series engines... but there's still a TON of useful info in there, including a good deal of technical information regarding forged internals and turbocharging. It's where I got my start, and I have yet to meet anyone who read through that book that made a fool of themselves on a forum Even if you have a decent understanding of how engines work, there's bound to be a few new bits of information you don't know in there. I strongly recommend picking up a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Low silcon pistons vs. high silicon pistons.

DGOfTheCentury, check out the book "Honda/Acura Engine Performance" by Mike Kojima. It's old, lots of the info is fairly outdated, and it focuses mainly on B and D series engines... but there's still a TON of useful info in there, including a good deal of technical information regarding forged internals and turbocharging. It's where I got my start, and I have yet to meet anyone who read through that book that made a fool of themselves on a forum Even if you have a decent understanding of how engines work, there's bound to be a few new bits of information you don't know in there. I strongly recommend picking up a copy.
            i will be checking out tht book...anymore you would like to recommend? i have been learning for like 6yrs from my dad and "trial and error". i have a 98 corolla i play with every now and then as well.

I recently bought this 91 accord and i managed the f22b1 swap on a POA, because the f22a was junk so i have a great confidence in my potential, i just need to learn numbers and yield of particular modifications.

CB7s are my first favorite Honda, EG hatch being the second, have yet to own one though (people here sale them like they have gold chassis)

91' Accord Project

Comment

Here are a couple other books that will take you more towards tuning and electronics/sensors side of things.

Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish
              Performance Fuel Injection Systems by Matt Cramer & Jerry Hoffmann
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                Here are a couple other books that will take you more towards tuning and electronics/sensors side of things.

Engine Management: Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish
                Performance Fuel Injection Systems by Matt Cramer & Jerry Hoffmann
                thx will do..

91' Accord Project

Comment

Working...
                X