Suspension Techniques sway bars review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension Techniques sway bars review

After reading, looking at pictures, weighing prices, etc. I finally decided to purchase a set of Suspension Techniques sway bars (Part# 52135). Firstly, I for one am glad that they changed the finish to the gunmetal color as opposed to the earlier green. The packaging is fantastic (if that holds any weight) and the finish of the parts out of the box is fantastic. The bars have a nice high gloss metallic gunmetal finish, but my front sway bar had what looked like a bit of dirt in the coating. All hardware was accounted for as well, which I've had problems with in the past installing other parts from different manufacturers. First impressions are very good.

On to the installation. Install of the rear sway bar was very straightforward using the provided instructions and diagrams. If you are able, having a helping hand around would make it a bit easier, but I handled the install solo no problems. The one thing I liked about this kit over the Progress offering was the no-drilling installation. Unfortunately I wasn't too thrilled with the brackets for the end-links touching my brake lines, though from photos it looks like less clearance issues when compared to the Progress rear sway bar. Also, for potential buyers with aftermarket or custom exhausts, piping clearance may be an issue as it was for me. I ended up temporarily rigging the exhaust until I can get to a muffler shop.

After completing the rear installation I moved onto the front. Although the difference in size isn't as significant as in the rear, the weight difference is very apparent. While installing the new front bar I ran into a few issues. The hump in the center above the exhaust was extremely close to touching the cross-member. It also touched touched the inner most power steering line but that was easy to just bend out of the way. Either due to my coilovers or other factors, I had to put pressure on the front wheels to raise the lower control arms up enough to have the bar actually sit in place properly enough to facilitate installation (installing on a lift). The alignment of the endlinks between the sway bar and the control arms in the "stock" above control arm position was way off, so much so that I actually installed the endlinks with the sway bar under the control arms. I also had a bit of interference with the traction bar links.

Test drive time. In the corners the car feels much more planted and secure, almost as if the corner is being taken at a lower speed than it actually is. The car has a more deliberate turn in feel now. Instead of the car feeling like it wants to understeer, it follows the front wheels much better. The cornering pivot point feels like it has moved back a bit with the much stiffer rear sway bar.

Comparison pictures:

Follow up soon?
    Last edited by Mike1357; 02-08-2016, 12:02 AM.

Very nice write up. I was actually leaning more towards these bars then Progressive and I am actually sad they changed the color. How long did the installation take? Also do you have a picture of how you rigged up the exhaust and what size piping did have for your exhaust?
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Real world issues of installing aftermarket parts is always a great idea. Good to know about the front end links issue.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
      UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
      NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
        How long did the installation take? Also do you have a picture of how you rigged up the exhaust and what size piping did have for your exhaust?
        Installation took me around 2.5 hours but I was really taking my time and taking pictures. I could easily see this done in under 1.5 hours. I have a 3" exhaust. Here's the rig.

Originally posted by marcusv8thunder View Post
        Real world issues of installing aftermarket parts is always a great idea. Good to know about the front end links issue.
        I kinda wish I did this with other parts I've bought and I'll probably write more in the future.

Comment

weird you ran into those problems. In my white coupe I have the ST front and rear sway bars and didnt run into those issues. Install was back in 2007 and I also run a 3 inch exhaust.

Comment

My exhaust was some muffler-shop-special. I doubt a decent exhaust would have those issues. I still may try to make the front sway bar fit properly after some road time.

I want to expand on the handling characteristics but it's been raining.

Comment

Any more handling feedback from the install? Roll? understeer oversteer changes? Etc.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
              UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
              NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Working...
              X