Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V6 Swap questions

Before you say it....

Yes I know it has been done. Though it was no help to any of us, I don't believe. Yes, I have seen the thread about it. I've even posted on it. However, instead of resurrecting it constantly I figured I'd just ask my questions in a thread all of my own. That way I can construct my theory... It's about axles. Well right now it is at least. I'm almost positive there'll be a "Captain Obvious" but these are questions for my growth of knowledge. This is for 6 speeds of fun, no "auto-tragic"

The outer spline count of the Acura CL-TypeS and our CBs is 28. The same. The inners aren't which is fine considering the swap. Pics help so let me post them. You can run 4-Lug but 5 is better, IMO, length is the issue or maybe it isn't. The length of the CL axle compressed is 26.5" or 25" (other site) and the Accord is 23 7/16" or 24" (other site) Does that length REALLY make all the difference in regards to custom axles? I don't know if it matters but the CB7 wheel base is 107" and the CL is 106.9" Running CL or 99EX hubs (5lug).
    Driver Side
    Acura CL

CB7

Passenger Side
    Acura CL *Hub=28/Engine=27* 26" (25")

CB7 *Hub=28/Engine=27* 23 9/16" (24")
    Last edited by Shay91Racer; 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM.
    Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by deevergote
    Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
    Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185
    Sold/Gave To: 90goldcoupe | CB7lx91 | Jas_r34 | F20accordturbo | BatmannamtaB

Yes, that length makes a substantial difference. Ask anyone whose done an H22 swap and tried to use the Prelude axles because they didn't research anything. They bind and break almost instantly.

Also, you're not clarifying whether or not the axles you referenced for the CL are the '01-'03 CL Type S with the 6 speed or not.

And the '98-'99 Accord V6 hubs are still 28-spline, but the inner diameter is about 1.5mm too small. You'd need '00-'02. But your problem shouldn't be with the hubs at all. The '95-'98 Odyssey knuckles would solve this issue.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Correction with the hubs. I researched the 00-02 as you said. But to clarify CL type-S
      Member's Ride Thread

Don't forget to cut holes in the box. Someone sent me a dead hooker one time, and that wasn't cool.
      Bought From: AccordWarrior | CB7lx91 | DarkShadow707| Tn_Accords | H23CB7 | Jack_lee | Fatboy1185

Comment

The DS shop quoted me $869.99 for the pair. Built to handle 325hp N/A though the typeS pushes out about 260hp if I'm correct.

$869.99 built for 325hp n/a
        $450.00 built for factory 260hp
        Last edited by Shay91Racer; 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM.
        Member's Ride Thread

Comment

A custom axle shop like the DS (though I would NEVER go with them...) can make an axle of any length. The key is to know what length you need. That has always been one of the most difficult parts for me to figure out when contemplating an unusual swap.

And yes, I agree... the only V6 conversion I've seen done to a CB7 offered pretty much nothing, other than "look, it was done". No help, no advice, no tips, no hints... Dude joined this site, showed off his car, the site crashed and lost 80% of the nutriding in that thread, and then he disappeared. Tried to sell the car for an obscene amount of money, failed, and parted it out. Not a team player.
          I also don't know if the car was ever drivable. It's entire possible that he had axle length issues as well.

Comment

Be careful they like to call people lazy when you start a thread instead of searching the forum for answers, but then again ive never seen them say it to anyone else but me..

Comment

Do you have something constructive to add to this thread, or are you just here to insult me?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Do you have something constructive to add to this thread, or are you just here to insult me?
                Advice is constructive..

Comment

johnnyblaze2g, I've put up with you for long enough. You can go away now. You have nothing of value to offer this community.
                  Thank you for whatever contributions you may have made in the past. Your presence is no longer worth tolerating. Goodbye.
                  (and yes, I am fully expecting this 38 year old man to come back with another username and throw a tantrum like a child.)

Back on topic... Shay, the ratings SHOULD be at the wheels, not the crank... therefore, the 260hp Type S would really be pushing about 210-220 tops to the wheels. If the ratings are for WHP, then those more expensive ones are good for more than 100whp over stock. Should be all you'll ever need! More than that, you'll have a very hard time keeping traction!
                  I'd still suggest going with Gator over DS, though. Do a Google search on DS's seriously poor customer service, and you'll find some interesting things. Like the owner of the company unloading on an "impatient" customer that got fed up and posted about how he's upset with his lengthy wait (months, I believe...) That was enough to make me never want to buy from them, anyway.

Comment

Deev,
                    You have no idea how contemplating this swap is. I know CAD so I plan on fabbing up my mounts, completely custom. I figure the axles should be somewhere in between the two. Around 24 9/16" - 25 1/4" both sides? Rough calculation... Very rough. But this swap has me all in all too intrigued to just let it die.

Wiring is going to be fun because I'm only wiring the electronics directly. Complete custom harness. Or if I want to cheat, just use the whole harness and stock ecu. Nah, custom it is.

Brake lines, not worried about it. Bending some brake line tubes.

Further more as far as the mounts and axles go, when I get them figured out, I will offer them to THIS community because it has forever been helpful since I first signed up in '07. I know a lot of people are all talk and I may be one of those people, but it all starts with a plan. As of right now, I've been working out this plan. I don't need this car for my DD because I bought a '09 Lancer ES sport. But I do need the garage space so it can sit up, that is what I don't have and puts a halt on this. But as long as I am enlightened, there will be a time when I make this happen. Hopefully within the next couple months I can begin and be completely done by July or August.
                    Member's Ride Thread

Comment

may have found a place to store it while I work... It's directly up the street from me and extremely cheap.

Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I wonder how much the car-sized one costs. I'm sure that 6x10 is the $30/mo unit...
                        Still, storage units are a cheap way to go. cp[mike] did that once. Stored a crashed BB6 in a storage unit, and stripped the sucker.

Anyway, if you know CAD, then you're probably better equipped to do the design than most people... so that's a plus. Designing the mounts and axles so everything will fit (and work!) properly is the part that always stumped me. Fabbing it isn't difficult, as long as you can provide accurate specs. You just need to find a fabricator. Easy enough.

As for providing the axles (and mounts, I hope!), or at least everything needed to have them made... that will be a HUGE help to this community!

It'd be awesome if you could find a way to make the engine fit better than the Canadian guy did... I don't think he could clear the hood. He had to cut a hole in it.

Comment

The storage unit is the best I got right now. I think I'd aim for an oversized one so I can sit the engine and other parts in it as well. But still it's cheap.

I emailed Gator like you recommended and the guy called be back, same day too, but I missed it. He's going to Daytona for 3 days for races. But hopefully he can be a big help with this project as far as the axles go. Left a nice voicemail He said he'd call back Monday.

I know it's people here that are good with a little bit of everything ie wiring and other electronics so I have the whole community to help me with this project.

As for the Canadian guy, yeah that's what he did. Made a hole in the hood. Could've at least put a ricer hood scoop on it lolz. I want to address the clearance issue because I figured it should be able to fit in there fine.
                          Member's Ride Thread

Comment

I am going to be glued to this thread... Using the CL J32 I presume.

Comment

The J series is a 60° design, whereas the C series you'd find in the 5th gen Accord, which is 90°. While more compact from front to back. I'd assume the J series is taller than the C series for this reason. I haven't seen them side by side to compare, nor do I have any measurements... but I'd imagine that could be a reason why anyone with a J swap in any non-V6-equipped Honda seems to have to cut the hood.
                              If you could find a way to mount it without hood clearance issues, that would be amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X