Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car safety checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
    Honestly, I would hope EVERYONE uses their handbrake (for the US inclined - E-brake) everytime they step out of their car.
    If an emergency situation is the first time you think you need to use your handbrake then I can't help you.

However I will add handbrake details this weekend for you guys
    It's a way of life for those of us with manuals. But, if the cable is not regularly exercised it could become a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by be3p067 View Post
      It's a way of life for those of us with manuals. But, if the cable is not regularly exercised it could become a recipe for disaster.
      i never use my E-brake..back right tire locks up, gotta beat on the brake line when that happens lol
      92 4 Dr Ex-sold/91 civic hatch(bad head)/93 civic vx

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
        Honestly, I would hope EVERYONE uses their handbrake (for the US inclined - E-brake) everytime they step out of their car.
        If an emergency situation is the first time you think you need to use your handbrake then I can't help you.

However I will add handbrake details this weekend for you guys
        it's no good when your rear pads freeze to the rotor though..... which happens in the winter
        i've had it happen when the fronts were on ice and couldnt move the car, hah. and when the rears have been frozen on ice and been dragged by the fronts.

but yes, it is a good idea to use the e-brake to make sure it works. i just don't recommend using it for parking in the winter unless absolutely necessary (or that it's been dry out).

i most often just leave it in 1st or reverse (for those with a 5sp).

just my 2cents.
        Originally posted by deevergote
        These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by s-Lowcb7 View Post
          i never use my E-brake..back right tire locks up, gotta beat on the brake line when that happens lol
          Why not just fix the problem?

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          it's no good when your rear pads freeze to the rotor though..... which happens in the winter
          i've had it happen when the fronts were on ice and couldnt move the car, hah. and when the rears have been frozen on ice and been dragged by the fronts.

but yes, it is a good idea to use the e-brake to make sure it works. i just don't recommend using it for parking in the winter unless absolutely necessary (or that it's been dry out).

i most often just leave it in 1st or reverse (for those with a 5sp).

just my 2cents.
          Admittidly I don't live in that type of climate, Though If it happens to the fronts, the rears will be the least of your worries.
          There must be a way around it though?
          What part actually freezes/locks? The caliper or the pads?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

i believe its just pads to rotor that freeze.
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

i got trapped on the way to WA because i pulled over and slept in the car (24hrs of driving will do that) and when i awoke they were locked-up after 15min of tryin' to free them i gave up.

then i took a fat pee on em' and the were free!
              gross... a bit. poor soviet's brakes getting abused BUT it worked.
              wish i had some water, or something but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Comment

Who doesnt do this already ya slackerssss
                Attached Files
                SwaggerJacker

Comment

very informative. i did everything on my car myself & i need to make sure it stays rite so i regularly check it out. preventative maintenance saves$$$$.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3222203/5

Comment

Great to hear people are actually using this!!

Is there anything else people would like me to add after doing this check?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Hi I Usually Always Do Routine Saftey Checks But While Coming Home From Work My Steering Started Vibrating It Got Worse And Worse Till I Got Home I Thought It Was My Wheel Bearing While Driving But Then When I Got Home And Checked All The Lugs On The Front Left Were Extremly Loose Almost Completly Off.i Always Torque Em Down To 80lbs And Just Did That 3 Days Ago.was Wondering If Driving On The Loose Lugs For About 10miles At 35mph Couldve Messed Up Anything Else.and Also Why Would They Loosen Up In The First Place Unless Someone Did It But I Dont Think They Did After All I Live Inthewoods.thanks In Advance To Anyone Who Could Help.

Comment

Loose nuts can damage the studs and the holes in the wheel.

Usually the main reason for "self loosening" wheel nuts is that the holes in the wheels are damaged so the nut doesn't seat properly.
                        Another reason is using wheel nuts with the wrong taper for the particular wheel.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I find that self loosening wheel nuts, and especially just 3 days after I've just tightened them, is almost always the result of me forgetting to actually tighten them after I've let the car down off the jack. My mother nearly lost a front wheel off her '89 Accord a few years back for exactly that reason. She called me from the side of the road and said there's this strange noise coming from the front of the car, sounds a bit like a helicopter, and I instantly knew that I'd forgotten to torque those lug nuts down.

Comment

My biggest problem is remembering to release the e-brake when I take off...

Comment

Originally posted by chronicponic View Post
                              My biggest problem is remembering to release the e-brake when I take off...
                              haha me too. i tend to drive a few feet and then hear the tires skid and go "oh shit!"
                              Frost White CB9: EX F22A6 Stock 5spd - Click Here

Comment

i think that sewing pin is qonna work i been havin problems with that my self

Comment

Working...
                                X