Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next car (to replace the Fit.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike how about the Chrysler 200

Comment

Ick. FWD turd... though supposedly better now that it's Fiat-based.

Right now, the S2000 and the Miata are neck and neck. The 1st gen Miata is currently very appealing, as I could get a good one for relatively cheap, and just focus on restoring it.

Comment

I see I just wouldn't get the basic model 200 I would just get the one with all the bells and whistles

Comment

That would be pricey. I'm still not a fan of Chrysler, either... ever since they screwed my family over (they had a dealership, and Chrysler decided one day that they didn't...)

I'm looking to spend no more than $15,000 on a used RWD roadster (convertible).
          Right now, I'm doing my homework on 1st generation Miatas. I can pick up a very nice one with about 100,000 miles for under $5000. Dump a few grand into restoration, and it could be a very nice car. I think the only thing I'd modify is the stereo system. Everything else will be 100% stock, if I go the old Miata route.

Comment

A third generation Fox Body. Everything you asked for.

Convertible or hardtop.
            In your budgeted range.
            Optional 4 cylinder.
            Tons of aftermarket support.
            Zippy and fun (may need to upgrade the suspension).

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43016&endYear=1993&modelC ode1=MUST&showcaseOwnerId=85422&startYear=1988&mak eCode1=FORD&firstRecord=26&transmissionCode=MAN&ma xMileage=100000&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius =500&mmt=%5BFORD%5BMUST%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingI d=394083761&Log=0...

...and we all know the easy V8 upgrade.
            Last edited by Straight Success; 02-28-2015, 03:03 PM. Reason: Food for thought.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Not a bad suggestion... though probably a bit older (more of a restoration project) and heavier than I'd prefer. It does fit the bill nicely in many areas, though.

I think the only reason I'm interested in the 1st gen Miata, regardless of the age, is due to the sub-2200lb curb weight, and the fact that it is still regarded as one of the purest sports cars ever made.

Comment

No way unless show room quality would I pay 3k for a 4cyl fox body (79-93) unless it was an svo and even then if you did want to go with the 5.0 swap you would have so much tied up in it you would have wished you'd just bought a 5.0 car to start with. Owning 3 different fox bodies a 86 5.0 an 88 4cyl lx converted to a 5.0 and a 90 gt I had less than 4k in all three. Don't get me wrong they are great potential in a fox as most 275x small tire cars have shown and even lower classes you see fox bodies everywhere, but it's not what you are looking for in my opinion.

If you wanted an 80s to 90s v8 sporty car then is suggest an fbody as I've had 4 of those lol 3 3rd gens and a 4th and while yes heavier they handle so much better. Not that this is what you are after either but more so than a fox. Though if I had to chose I would go with a 4th gen ls1 fbody if I had to make any suggestion toward what you are wanting minus the weight of them even a lt1 car would be ok but the ls1 being reliable easy to work on t-tops sporty feel and pretty decent gas mileage and a good chassis to work with. A 4th gen fbody would be on my top 5 list of fun reliable sporty rwd cars with a big cool factor.
                Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 02-28-2015, 04:20 PM.

02 Crv
                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I gave some thought to an F body... but again, old (so it would be a project), and quite heavy. Also, being from New Jersey... there's a certain stigma that goes with owning an F body... I'd rather deal with the Miata stigma than the New Jersey F body stigma!

I do like the convertible 3rd gen Camaro, though. It has nice lines.

Comment

I know you don't like the Chrysler 200 but I think that the c model 20015 is very nice. Comfort quality all the bells and whistles 300hp not bad on gas. The only think I don't like is using a button for parking. I rather have a lever you rarely see a s2k though

Comment

The 200C would be starting a good $12,000 over my maximum price, though. If i was going to spend $27,000 on a car, it probably wouldn't be a Chrysler!

I see S2ks all the time down here. Of the 3 cars I'm looking at most closely, the MR2 is the least common.

I'm REALLY feeling this right now...
                      97 Miata M. I'd prefer a black interior, but that particular one is SO incredibly clean! Not looking to buy right now, sadly... as I'd actually love to jump on this one! It's in Colorado, though... so at least that helps resist the temptation!

Comment

This thread is a wrap. He's getting a Miata.
                        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

You suck. I happen to love that color combo, inside and out

While the new 200s look amazing, I think FWD in general is out of the question, correct? It's hard to toss those around below the speed limit; really, short of finding a classic Mini or importing a Fiat Barchetta, there aren't really any FFs that are as fun as cars like the Miata. Get something light and rear-drive and just kick the clutch in a tight turn for some easy, low-speed fun.

On the subject of 3rd-gens though, man have those cars grown on me these last couple years. I'm a Ford guy when it comes to domestics, but the design is aging like wine. My friend's uncle has a convertible '92 Anniversary model with something like 11k miles on it. While I'm not a fan of the Barbie-ish white with red stripes (stripes don't look good on anything but a first-gen Mustang, imo), it's a beautiful car. You can kind of see it in my photo here; I was more interested in the 427 that never sees sunlight. An absolute cherry. I've never seen one for sale with good paint though...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39McIm4-u80

Comment

I dont think you can be swayed at all (you're pretty much getting a miata lol) but i can also vouch for the f-bodies. When i wrecked my cb7 i ended up in a 1998 camaro v6 because my friend gave me a great deal on it with a rebuilt or replaced engine (still not sure which) with a cam, ss hood and functional ram air. Its a far cry from the light Hondas and it was weird driving it at first but even though its a v6 it has impressed me. With just a cam and tune and bolt ons its faster than most cars pre 2009ish some v8 cars included (looking at you mustangs). Yes its "heavy" depending on what you compare it to but the wieght is spread out very well. Engine is behind the shock towers and most of the weight is low. You can put HUGE tires on them (315s on all four corners easily) ctsv brake upgrade only costs about 300, Doing the typical koni and strano spring combo along with the strano swaybars is absolutely mind numbing. Never felt more grip from a car and ive driven many. Plus down here chicks dig em, been flashed at a stoplight and it wasnt because of my ugly mug.
                              Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

I already have my CTS-V for big power in a big car, though... which is why I'm looking for something lightweight, open topped, and underpowered

The Miata is winning right now, but when I made this thread, the MR2 was at the top of the list. The S2000 is still poised to be a winner as well. I think it's definitely going to be one of those three when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                                X