What good is Bluetooth on a laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What good is Bluetooth on a laptop?

I just picked up an Acer Aspire 5735-4774 laptop the other day, and it has Bluetooth functionality.

The only thing I've ever used Bluetooth for is connecting my phone to a wireless headset. What else can I use it for?

I got this laptop for use in an in-car video setup (running WebcamXP 5) The screen is busted, so I picked up a little Mimo USB monitor (meant to get the touch screen... screwed up and got the non-touch screen.)

At the moment, I'm looking into using my iPhone as a bluetooth touchpad, or even an additional display. I've been using TeamViewer to control my home computer over the internet... but it's a fairly cumbersome way of doing things. I'm hoping I can find something that will work via Bluetooth with this laptop!

if you run a Wii emulator on the lappy you can use the bluetooth to link up an actual Wiimote.

i think the intention is mainly to be able to pair the laptop up with those silly wireless battery-powered bluetooth speakers.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. I guess there are other game controllers that use it as well.

I bet the real reason for it was that they could charge an extra $50 for a computer with Bluetooth, and people would pay it

Comment

I have a friend who brought his Bluetooth Jambox with him on our trip to Aruba and it was absolutely brilliant to use when we were on the beach and hanging out.

I'm really sold on the idea of a BT speaker, although it didn't have nearly enough volume for my liking...but then again I like all my music turned up to 11.

Comment

Bluetooth in a laptop allows you to connect a plethora of devices to it, from file transfers between devices, to accessories like keyboards, mice, headphones/headsets, speakers without wires. Before WiFi hotspots were common on cellular phones, you could use it to use your phone's internet. Its peer to peer, and is very similar to WiFi, but with a very limited range (10m).

For what you do deev, a Bluetooth keyboard with a trackpad would make a world of difference in your car with that laptop, and the screen you just got.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

You can buy Bluetooth audio receivers and connect to anything audio,Your home stereo, car stereo if you have aux inputs. So you laptop can be anywhere in the room with no wires and play music through your stereo. We do it with our cell phones here in my household.
            ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I run Linux and the headphone jack on my laptop doesn't work. Bluetooth would enable me to use BT headphones... but BT doesn't work either

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

they have items in china I bet they are recievers that you can use to input and through that device use your Bluetooth to do anything. You can even spy on others through their phone to hear what they are doin and saying I know its wrong but one guy showed me how the things ive seen and heard lol. A persons phone really is their worst enemy. I was thinking of getting a uav drone for night flying.

Comment

Here you go deev

http://cdn.avsforum.com/4/45/800x600...5mUHbbABL.jpeg

http://www.colorlivinginc.com/images/Dongle_02.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    I run Linux and the headphone jack on my laptop doesn't work. Bluetooth would enable me to use BT headphones... but BT doesn't work either
                    I love Linux and hate it's guts at the same time. It runs reliably and economically forever without any issues and it's compact. But it's bare, it has nothing other than the bare essentials. The PC will work but that's it. But if the PC has anything "extra" like BT, web cam, or aux jack, they don't work. Then if you go to make those things work your going to go through hell to do so. Want to add a program? Same shit. Have to jump through hoops to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                      I love Linux and hate it's guts at the same time. It runs reliably and economically forever without any issues and it's compact. But it's bare, it has nothing other than the bare essentials. The PC will work but that's it. But if the PC has anything "extra" like BT, web cam, or aux jack, they don't work. Then if you go to make those things work your going to go through hell to do so. Want to add a program? Same shit. Have to jump through hoops to get it.
                      I finally got it to work.... googled something, put some prompts in terminal, it works 90% of the time now. If u asked me to do it again though I couldn't tell u.

My dad is a Knicks fan so putting myself through unnecessary hardship and pain is pretty much in my blood. I finally have it running how I want, and I love not having to run an anti virus or w/e, and it + upgrades are free so it's a net plus for me.

Originally posted by lordoja
                      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                        I finally got it to work.... googled something, put some prompts in terminal, it works 90% of the time now. If u asked me to do it again though I couldn't tell u.

My dad is a Knicks fan so putting myself through unnecessary hardship and pain is pretty much in my blood. I finally have it running how I want, and I love not having to run an anti virus or w/e, and it + upgrades are free so it's a net plus for me.
                        Yeah the no viruses is awesome. I loved that. And the terminal is where I get angry. I can't hack that kinda shit. I don't have patience for it. I'm running Windows 8.1 right now. I really like it but it has it's maintenance that needs to be done every so often to keep it running smooth.

Comment

Linux Mint is fantastic. In my opinion, it is the FIRST release of linux that finally has a polished installer, front end, and all config utilities, goodies, etc. Everything works right out of the box and it never has issues. I have always tried to switch from Windows to Linux... and finally its good enough to. I like the "cinnamon" version, it is a perfect replacement for XP/7. Self-updates, and all the best programs are free and as easy to install as a single click using the Software Manager (basically an app store). Super solid release!

http://www.linuxmint.com/
                          Last edited by cp[mike]; 09-13-2014, 06:19 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Werd. I'll have to give that a try! I've always been intrigued by Linux, but never enough to go through with installing it. As frustrating as Windows can be, it's just so user friendly and well supported.
                            Windows is the fast food of operating systems. You can find it everywhere, and you know what you're getting. It might not be great, but it does the trick. It's familiar and comforting. Mac is like fancy, expensive food. If you like it, you love it. But if it doesn't offer something you like, you're left with something frustrating and confusing, if well made. Linux is like vegan food. Something that only the fringe weirdos seem to like, though it's probably the best thing... if you can get used to the weirdness of it!

I know I'm now taking things way off topic... but I've been considering a dual boot setup just to try out Linux. Now that you mention those versions, Mike, I'm even more interested in it. Is it worth it to do a dual boot? I've been contemplating buying another hard drive as well (my current 1tb is nearly full!) Would it be a better idea to do a dual boot using a different hard drive?

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                              Linux Mint is fantastic. In my opinion, it is the FIRST release of linux that finally has a polished installer, front end, and all config utilities, goodies, etc. Everything works right out of the box and it never has issues. I have always tried to switch from Windows to Linux... and finally its good enough to. I like the "cinnamon" version, it is a perfect replacement for XP/7. Self-updates, and all the best programs are free and as easy to install as a single click using the Software Manager (basically an app store). Super solid release!

http://www.linuxmint.com/
                              That's good to hear! I have not been keeping tabs on Ubuntu/Linux since about February of this year being as that's when I bought my Win 8 laptop. It's about time they made something user friendly. I felt like I needed a degree for the older versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X