Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check Engine Light Disappears when Scan Tool Connected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check Engine Light Disappears when Scan Tool Connected?

I have a check engine light on my other car. I've gone twice to Autozone for them to check with their scan tool what code it is. Both times as soon as they plug it in and we turn the car on the light goes off and they tell me there's nothing there. WTF? I did a search and couldn't find any answers.

I can disconnect the battery and it goes away as well, but the light will come back on eventually.

I used to get codes p420/430 last summer then I changed the O2 sensors and it went away. Don't know if this problem really is the cat or even related to that at all.
    Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
    -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
    MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Ol school member!!

Maybe they have a faulty scan tool? Maybe if you sweet talk the techs and the dealership, they'll pull it for you.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Without connecting the scan tool and turning on the car does the light go away?

I had this happen with a O2 sensor and is known to occur with a O2 sensor issue. Just a though.

Comment

Previously being under the impression that OBD-2 required the use of the scan tool, I was surprised to discover my OBD-2 CRV still retained the ability to read codes by counting the flashing lights, just like OBD-1 does. I don't know about other cars but I would assume they would probably be the same way too. Maybe you can try doing a flashing-code readout directly instead of hooking up a scanner, see if you can get it out that way.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

No, there's no way to jump terminals and get the flashing codes.

I disconnected the battery yesterday and I got 25 miles before the CEL came back on. That's the normal part, but not being able to read it with a scan tool doesn't make sense. I guess I'll try another place and see what they say.

The car drives without any noticeable problem just like before when they were able to read my codes.
          Last edited by uslspct; 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM.

MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

You didn't answer my question

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Without connecting the scan tool and turning on the car does the light go away?

I had this happen with a O2 sensor and is known to occur with a O2 sensor issue. Just a though.
              Yes, the light goes away, that's the point of this thread. And the 2 downstream sensors were replaced around September.

MY RIDE

Comment

What make model and year of vehicle are we talking here? What brand O2 sensor did you buy?
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

It's a 10 year old Toyota. I bought oem Denso's.

MY RIDE

Comment

Well you mentioned that "the 2 downstream sensors were replaced" So I was wondering if this was a V6 or I4. Also whether it is OBD1 or OBDII makes a difference on how the CEL lights and diagnostic computers act!
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

if you just say "a 10 year old toyota" how do you expect us to really help you? if you get p0420/430 your cats are fucked. there wasnt really any need to replace o2 sensors. they were working and doing their job.
                      COUPE K24

Comment

Working...
                      X