do i need the power steering pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need the power steering pump

The other day I was sitting in my car watching youtube waiting for laundry to get done at the laundromat. When suddenly the car made an ear piercing metal on metal noise like nails on a chalkboard. it took me a while to figure out the power steering pump had seized and i used a knife to cut the belt to make the noise stop.

I was wondering , since the power steering has been inop for a long time and the pump seized from no lubricant is it ok to just keep driving like this? The pump doesn't do anything else right?

I almost want to make the belt for the ac and alternator shorter and bypass the ac compressor because it's also spinning uselessly and doesn't work anyway. If the ac compressor seizes I won't be able to cut the belt like i did in this case because i'd loose the alternator.

The pump only pumps the fluid through the power steering system. If it is not being driven, you will just notice that turning the wheel in your driveway or a parking lot or anywhere else you are not moving will really be difficult.

For the other belt, just go to an auto parts store and ask for the belt for a DX model that does not have A/C.

Just FYI, I am converting to a manual rack this winter season, so if you want a working pump, I can send you mine.
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
      Just FYI, I am converting to a manual rack this winter season, so if you want a working pump, I can send you mine.
      well mine failed because there wasn't any fluid in the system because it leaks

I actually like the idea of manual steering I kinda wish i could find someone to do the same conversion to mine so i never have to worry about power steering ever again.

Comment

Working...
      X