Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Swapping F22a1 INTO F22A6 car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping F22a1 INTO F22A6 car

I see alot of threads going the other way, F22A6 into F22A1, but not the other way around, and yes i am sure there is a reason for it!

I started this project farther back than i would like to admit, got burried with work and lost interest, but now have a week or so off and not only want to move forward but NEED my shop back so i can move forward on other projects.

I have a '92 cb7 automatic F22A6 with a blown bottom end.

A friend gave me a Running F22A1 I would like to install, but from what i gather it is not a direct swap and some things need to be swapped with it to make it work correctly.

Can anyone point me i the direction of what needs to be swapped to the A1 and what the most efficient way to execute this? Both motors are out and on stands as we speak.

First we get it running reliably then we play with cosmetics and performance!

The differences between each engine can be removed and replaced easily with basic mechanical tools and skills.

They are:
    camshaft
    valve springs
    intake manifold
    exhaust manifold
    windage tray
    oil cooler (automatic transmission models)

Pull the valve covers off of both and swap the cams around. You're fine without the valve springs, but if you want, swap those too. You'll just need a way to keep the valves in the F22A1 seated when reinstalling the locks. You're going to want to remove the cam followers anyway to install the lower spark plug tube seals that will come in any valve cover gasket kit you buy. No more oil in the spark plug holes.

Since you should check the bottom end of the new engine for sludge and damage anyway, swap the windage tray over. Perfect time to replace the gasket (Hondabond or Permatex gray in the corners).

The intake manifold and exhaust manifold kind of go without saying. They're going to be immediately obvious when you have them next to each other. Just swap them over to the F22A1 and use new gaskets. Use your existing wiring harness and coil, and not the one that may or may not come with the new engine. That will allow everything to plug up perfectly fine.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

The reason is that the A6 is rated at 140 HP vs. 125 (Corrected from 130 - see deev's note below) for the A1.

If it is just the bottom end that is bad, take the entire head with manifolds off the A6 and install it on the A1. If you want to, drop the pans and swap over the windage tray.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 06-12-2018, 09:09 PM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Word

Thanks Jarrett & Fleetwood Appreciate the help there!
        Windage tray? you mean the oil baffle? will do

Off to get a bit, There is a head bolt on thwe old A6 head that is rounded so i suspect someone has been in here before. I drove the car for a year before the bottom end took a crap.... Rod knock are flippin loud when they go and youre at a stoplight in 90 degree weather

Kinda makes me wanna jus swap the cam

Looks like a shop day for me today, fuel pump went out on the BMW so got that going too

Comment

Yeah, no thanks on drilling out a head bolt on a $100 engine. More time and effort than it's worth.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Get a set of the sockets designed to remove bolts/nuts that are rounded off? How many miles on the A6 vs A1?
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Fleetwood, I Blew the A6 266,804 mi.

i pulled the A1 at 120000ish miles

Lowes has a set of grip rite bolt extractors for like 20 and some change since i think my kid made off with mine, really don't like drilling out head bolts... either way ima tackle it here shortly after i assemble the other car now that the pump is in and working
              Last edited by SlammedHappY; 06-02-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

The A6 head could probably use at least of set of valve seals if you decide to swap the whole thing. Good luck either way.

Comment

It may be worth noting that you don't have to swap any of those parts for the A1 to work. But if you do you will keep most of your power. I would swap the parts. It'd be easier when the motors are out.
                  ==========================
                  1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                  1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                  Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                  Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                  M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                  Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

A6 is rated at 140 HP vs. 130 for the A1. There's no need to swap any of those parts for the A1 to work.
                    gmail sign up guide, 192.168.0.1 login

Comment

Where did this 130hp come from? The Accord’s F22A1 is rated at 125hp for all years. The F22A4 is rated at 130hp. Granted, the only difference between them is the exhaust manifold, but let’s keep the information accurate. Especially if we’re going to be condescending.

Internally, all F22A engines are identical. That means you can bolt all the parts unique to the F22A6 onto an F22A1 and get that full 140hp. Alternatively, dropping the F22A1 into the car and reusing none of the F22A6 parts (including intake and exhaust manifolds) will only require the use of a PT3 ECU, lengthening the o2 sensor harness (an extension harness is the smart way to do this), and tucking the IAB wiring out of the way.

Comment

My bad. Somehow I had it in my head that the 92-93 A1 had been bumped to 130, but I can't find any HP info in my owner's or service manual. A quick check on Edmunds (authoritative??) indicates 125 as deev pointed out.

(makes me want to convert the wagon to A6!)

Comment

yeah because doesn't the A6 have a different cam (or cam gear), the black box for the intake & the header is more efficient right?
                          Keep Pushing..

Comment

I listed the changes in the second post of this thread.

Comment

I have made zero progress and she sits collecting dust.... Was never able to drill out head bolt and work schedule have kept me everywhere but here...

Hey Jarrett, do you have any recommendations for keeping the valves seated when swapping the cam? I eithen need to do something with this or off to the scrapper it goes and i do not like to give up or quit but i need to thin the herd

From what i got out of your post in the second thread i can swap intake/exhaust manifolds and cam and make this work?

thanks for everyones input, i just have not had the time or energy to invest lately

Comment

Working...
                              X