Ghetto_CB7 : 1990 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghetto_CB7 : 1990 Accord LX

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________

The Car :
    1990 Honda Accord LX CB7, 2 Door Coupe, cappuccino, Interior Code F

Engine
    Exterior/Suspension/Brakes
    Interior/Conclusion

The Objective :
    Build a N/A daily driven CB7 with 220whp/170wtq and run a 13.99 quarter mile with full interior.

The Rules :
    1) The car must run the quarter N/A this means no turbo, supercharger, or NO2.
    2) The car must be reliable and streetable enough to be daily driven.
    3) EVERYTHING done to the car must be done by my friend and I.

The Reasons :
    1)One of my biggest pet peeves is people who own / drive / use / break / complain about / or even talk about things that they do not understand and have no intention of ever understanding.

2)I am not a mechanic, and I have had very little mechanical experience, so this is a learning build. My additional objective is to learn everything possible about my and all other automobiles. (So I can avoid being one of the people from my above reason)

3)From my experiences I have found it is cheaper, more rewarding, more informational, and more beneficial to do it yourself.

4)With this in mind I expect there to be failures in this thread, in fact there will most likely be many of them, and I will gladly share with you my idiocy in hopes that it spares others the trouble.

5)Finally I have also found that many people do not do as good of a job as you could do yourself. It is your car and I hope you love it more then the guy down the street.
    Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 11-07-2008, 10:37 PM.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

Information

The Progress :

After the swap I obviously have more updates, but I have not dyno'd yet so I will update this then.

Current Setup:H22a, Cat-back exhaust, short ram intake

Quarter Mile Time: Not available

0-60 MPH Time : Not available

60' Time:Not available

F22a Stats:

WHP:114.7 @ 85 degree's F

WTQ:127.4 @ 85 degree's F

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________

The Recent Failures :

Interior redo failure #1
    Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 11-07-2008, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Information

Vender Reviews: Note these are my reviews and I take no responsibility for your bad experiences!

The Reviews are in alphabetical order.

Energy Suspension:Energy Suspension Link

This is regarding the motor mount inserts for the CB7
      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
      ES:
      Hi Evan,
      Energy Suspension only makes the inserts for one mount (the front I
      believe). That would be this set here:
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...p?prod=16.1107

They dont make any inserts for the other mounts, and this kit will not fit
      them.
      Many of the Accord owners have been using this product to cover the other
      mounts:
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=DIYMMI
      - Graham

ME:
      So am I to understand that this part # 8514 will not fit my accord rear mount?
      Thank you,

ES:
      Hi Evan,
      I'm sorry for the delayed response. The 8514 will work for your rear mount.
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com....asp?prod=8514

I was trying to get some info from the warehouse. They're apparently unable to process special orders with Prothane at this time, but we have 2 of the 8514 left in Black at this time.

Let me know if you need any other assistance and I'll be happy to take care of you!
      - Graham

ME:
      Thank you very much for the information on the motor mounts. I will be purchasing the front and rear mount from your company very shortly. I do have three other question however. In your color choices you list red and black, with the difference being that the black is "graphite impregnated" where the red is not. I am an engineering student and was just curious what this "graphite impregnation" is and what the advantages/disadvantages of it are? I was also wondering how much of a difference the 80a DIY motor mount inserts would make for the side mounts (mostly straight line driving). Finally I was under the impression that the accord and prelude motor mounts were interchangeable. Is it possible/do you know if the 92-01 prelude mounts you have would fit the Accord. I only ask this because I am doing an H22 (prelude motor) swap into my accord.

Thank you and do not worry about the "delayed" response, it was still much faster then most companies and far more informative.

ES:
      Hi evan,
      You can read more about color difference in the Energy Suspension parts here:
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...=Color&optid=1
      Graphite has a lubricating property to it, by infusing the part with Graphite - it imparts some of that lubrication to the part. It's not a replacement for prelube (which is included with the parts if needed), but it dure doesn't hurt!

We actually have a lot of Accord owners buy the DIY Urethane kit. More than any other customer actually:
      http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=DIYMMI
      However, If your side mounts aren't in bad shape, I'd just skip it.

As for swapping the Prelude mounts, I've not got any experience there, you should pop the question with the guys here Honda-Tech.com
      Let me know if you need any other assistance and I'll be happy to take care of you!
      - Graham

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

Honda Motors Online:Honda Motors Online Link

Majestic Honda:Majestic Honda Link

This is regarding my mistake of switching my billing and mailing address when ordering the parts for my manual to auto tensioner swap.

ME:

Hello I attempted to order from you and I accidentally switched the shipping and the billing address. Please contact me as soon as possible with what I need to do to fix the error!
      Thank You,

MH:
      What is your order number?

ME:
      Order # is…

MH:
      No problem. We'll switch the addresses and ship it to your billing:

ME:
      Ok, thank you, would it be possible for you to send me another email with the updated billing and mailing addresses? Just to verify that everything is as it should be.

MH:
      The correct is done on the actually invoice. There isn't a revise confirmation to send you.
      Thank you,

ME:
      Ok, could you tell me the shipping address then so that I can verify that the order is going to the correct location?

MH:
      It was provided on your previous email. We are shipping it to:

ME:
      Thank you again, and sorry for the confusion.

MH:
      You're very welcome.

Unorthodox Racing:Unorthodox Racing Link

My experiences with Unorthodox racing were very good. They responded to my emails extremely fast and had excellent customer support. Below is an email message I had with one of their customer service representatives.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
      ME:
      Hello, I need to purchase Under Drive Pulleys for 92-96 JDM H22A with 90 USDM Accord AC. What pulley set or individual pulleys do I need to purchase. Also what are the prices.
      Thank You,

UR:
      Should be pulley set part# 040600402, check the larger inner belt of the JDM crank pulley and see if it has 5 or 6 bottom grooves.
      Shawn

ME:
      Hello Shawn, I apologize for the massive amount of time between emails. I got the answer and it is 5 grooves. I am waiting on one ordering problem from another company (will hopefully be resolved tomorrow) and then I will purchase the under drive kit. Thank you guys for all the help you have given me and the quick response time.
      Thank You,

UR:
      No need to apologize! J
      Shawn

It should be noted that I did not end up buying the Under drive Pulley's due to not knowing exactly what pulley configuration is on the JDM H22a and some controversy regarding undamped crank pulleys.
      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

I am waiting for approval to post email conversations from these venders

WIll be adding Skunk2 and TASAuto in the near future!
      Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Information

Member Selling Reviews :

Bought From:
        None Yet...

Sold To:
        None Yet...
        Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Information

The Experience :

A brief History of my experiences with HONDA's (this will be updated as the build and my life goes on)

2004 :
          Spring Drove My first Honda (1993 Prelude H23)

Summer of 05 My friend and I got hit by a conversion van in the Honda Prelude (car was totaled)

2005 :

Spring Friend bought another Prelude Si 1992.

Winter friend blew up Prelude

2006 :
          Spring Took out my first engine (H23)

Spring (my friend paid someone to install H22 head on H23 block)

Spring (after looking for a CB7 for almost a full year I broke down and bought one for $2000)

Summer prelude engine blew up (Partially friends fault, Mostly Installers)

Summer I began working on my car

Summer Joined CB7Tuner.com
          Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 10-03-2008, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Props on the interior redo! I was just reading your thread on that, I'm working on mine, laying black clothe on my tan (g) interior. I learned a couple things, thanks! Your's looks realy good btw.

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Information

The Story :This was written for an English class a while back so pleas excuse the semi proper English and uninteresting details about my life...
              __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
              In the summer of 2005 I was a young, stupid, and perhaps ignorant, sophomore in MT. I attended high school and had my niche of friends, my plethora of enemies and of course school work. It should be noted that I divided my time mostly between friends and enemies. Not that my school work was neglected by any means, but I found it less inviting then going out on a Friday night. I was however different from the majority, or I will be honest all of my friends in that Friday night was not utilized to get drunk, or high or party. I used Friday night to acquire more productive hobbies.

As I mentioned I was naïve and believed whatever I was told, at least initially. The first time I became blatantly aware of my disorder was when my seven fingered, Korean, want to be black friend, Nick, began getting interested in expensive automotive stereos. He had been my friend since kindergarten and had taken a slightly different academic path then I had. He had 1.3 GPA and we commonly used a scanner to alter his grades into something less punishable. So of course when he showed up with his banging subs and told me the details about how much they cost, how loud they were, that the foam surround was made of spider silk, and so on I automatically became convinced that his 1.3 GPA outdid my 3.5.

A beneficial side effect of this gullibility however, is that I soon become interested in the subject that has been preached to me, in this case stereo’s. Soon after, I began to do real research and before long I had my own masterpiece of speakers, amps, crossovers, filters, decks, capacitors, and wire running through my vehicle (at that time a 1994 Ford Ranger). With such an amazing setup I decided to check out the competition in town.

To do this I utilized the “meeting” spot for street racing in my town. Nick had been going out there for a few months and I had never taken up an offer to show up; I had never really had a reason to. This time however, I went and, damn! The majority of people there were the stereotypical want to be gangsters with ether no money whatsoever or the freshman in high school who have parents’ rich enough to buy them a $40,000 STI. Following my past mistakes I completely believed that everyone out there would have a better stereo then me. To my surprise I found many people with similar stories to Nick, “my subs broke my window”, “I won a sound competition”, or “I am deaf because of my system.” But when it came time to compare setups they seamed to know nothing about the items they purchased, the way they were installed, or anything about tuning. It became very obvious that I had the nicest, cleanest loudest stereo in the group; this is how I got my first nick name ever, Entertainment. (it should be noted that having the best stereo in this group was like being the fastest person weighing more then 500 lbs)

It did not take long for me to become curious about the automotive side of the little meetings. It is one thing to be known for how to make a stereo pound and a completely other to tear down and rebuild an engine. I was very aware that not many of the individuals out there actually tuned and worked on their own cars. Honestly I doubt the majority of them knew what was in their cars, they were just the people who drove them, most of them didn’t even buy them, they ether owed twenty grand in loans or the car was in their daddy’s name, I was not concerned with them. What I wanted was the real tuner.

Needless to say but I did not find my 400whp supra that night nor anyone who had the knowledge or money to build one. What I did find was a group of three individuals who stood out from the rest. All three of them dove imports and two of the three dove Hondas. After spending hours just listening to them talk Nick and I decided it was time we upgraded from audio to auto.

A few months later we went car shopping. Nick’s dad is fairly wealthy so it was no surprise when his dad agreed to letting him find a car instead of the Sanoma he had been driving. One Saturday morning he called me and sure enough in the paper there was a 1993 Honda prelude si for $4000. He and I showed up without knowing what to expect, we had both been driving since eight grade summer, both of our trucks were stick and neither of us had ever been in anything remotely close to a sports car.

When we arrived to look at the car it was sitting in the snow on the side of the road.; It was almost spring so all the main roads were dry. The owner came out of the house and after an extensive list of questions he offered us a test drive. We humbly agreed and said that we would return the vehicle in fifteen to twenty minuets.

With the car unlocked we both got in, him at the wheel and me in the passenger seat. With the key in the ignition and in the accessory position we turned the car over and on the second try the engine came to life. Nick took the wheel and put the clutch in, e-brake off and then we began to roll. We made it an entire forty feet before getting stuck in the eight inches of snow.

After an extended amount of effort pushing and digging we finally got he car on a dry road and off we went. Luckily for us the speed limit on the road we found was 70 making it easy to test the car’s performance. With the car in neutral we revved it to the 6500rpm redline and nothing seemed any different from any other vehicle we had driven, in fact the car was quieter then the trucks we dove. We looked at each other and shrugged. Assuming that the car was just like everything we had ever driven Nick put her into first gear and slowly took the car to about twenty, where he floored it.

All it took was one run from twenty to one hundred to convince me that I needed a Honda. We proceeded to play in the prelude until one of us looked at the clock. Neither he or I actually remembers the time we left the owners house but we know it started with a twelve and by the time we returned it was well past two!

Less then a week later Nick pulled up to my house in a perfect, red, powerful, sleek, 2.3 liter 160 crank horsepower, 156 foot pounds of torque Honda. My passion had now become focused on the most notorious performance small displacement internal combustion manufacturer of all time HONDA.
              Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Information

Reserved
                Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Information

Please do not post Yet!!!!!

Reserved for later posts.....

Comment

Information

Reserved for later posts......

Comment

Information

Reserved
                      Last edited by Ghetto_CB7; 06-20-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Information

Reserved for later posts.......

Comment

Information

Reserved for later posts........

Comment

Information

Reserved for later posts.........

Comment

Information

Reserved for later posts..........

Comment

Working...
                              X