Find a vehicle owner by the vin number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Find a vehicle owner by the vin number

Title says it all. Im trying to help my freind get an acura legend we found at a junkyard. They dont have the title.

you can try to take the vin to the police department and have them run the vin for you..

Let them know what youre trying to do and they will generally work with you if youre not acting like an ass or anything like that..just be respectful and they will most likely do it..

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
    Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
    Originally posted by bmxicansd
    so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
      you can try to take the vin to the police department and have them run the vin for you..

Let them know what youre trying to do and they will generally work with you if youre not acting like an ass or anything like that..just be respectful and they will most likely do it..
      You can try the police but generally that isn't something they have time to do.

That's what the DMV is for.

Id start there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
        You can try the police but generally that isn't something they have time to do.

That's what the DMV is for.

Id start there.
        I called them to figure out how to get a title

All they said it

" You need to contact the owner of the vehicle "

I asked them if they would supply information and they said couldn't.

Comment

dmv can generraly give you the info, but they wont..the police department is probably going to be the only way that you might be able to get it..IMO..

they deal with people going tin and out for fix it tickets, why cant they give you info that take no more than to fix a ticket..I would do it at my PD, but I cant run too many vins or else they are going to be suspicious of what im doing.I work at a police department, but I only enforce parking and run vins on the field, so I cant help you, sorry.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
          Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
          Originally posted by bmxicansd
          so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

Originally posted by cb7rush View Post
            dmv can generraly give you the info, but they wont..the police department is probably going to be the only way that you might be able to get it..IMO..

they deal with people going tin and out for fix it tickets, why cant they give you info that take no more than to fix a ticket..I would do it at my PD, but I cant run too many vins or else they are going to be suspicious of what im doing.I work at a police department, but I only enforce parking and run vins on the field, so I cant help you, sorry.
            Well i only want to run one vin number because i only care about one car lol

So are you saying i should go to my local police department or just talk to a cop?

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
              Well i only want to run one vin number because i only care about one car lol

So are you saying i should go to my local police department or just talk to a cop?
              A quick search on Google showed that another option is to go to your local courthouse as they hold all the info from driver to driver.

BUT

this information is not public record so no go on that. Think about it....you cannot just walk into a PD and ask the police to run a VIN so you can have the drivers information....they can do it because they are the police but it is on a need to know basis and you do not need to know.

They only run vins when an investigation requires them to do so....and running your vin during a routine traffic stop IS an investigation as they are collecting information on you and your vehicle to warrant their stopping you etc. so before anyone claims otherwise.

NOW!

I remember hearing that in a case like yours where you can't really find the last owner you should go to either the DMV or the courthouse and request a NEW title...you will have to pay whatever fees are associated but it skips the hassle of finding the last registered owner.
              Last edited by Ralphie; 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                A quick search on Google showed that another option is to go to your local courthouse as they hold all the info from driver to driver.

BUT

this information is not public record so no go on that. Think about it....you cannot just walk into a PD and ask the police to run a VIN so you can have the drivers information....they can do it because they are the police but it is on a need to know basis and you do not need to know.

They only run vins when an investigation requires them to do so....and running your vin during a routine traffic stop IS an investigation as they are collecting information on you and your vehicle to warrant their stopping you etc. so before anyone claims otherwise.

NOW!

I remember hearing that in a case like yours where you can't really find the last owner you should go to either the DMV or the courthouse and request a NEW title...you will have to pay whatever fees are associated but it skips the hassle of finding the last registered owner.
                In maryland it seems you cant just request a title.

I called up the MVA and asked how to aquire a title for a vehicle thats sitting on your property. They told me to find the old owner and get the title from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                  In maryland it seems you cant just request a title.

I called up the MVA and asked how to aquire a title for a vehicle thats sitting on your property. They told me to find the old owner and get the title from them.
                  That's bs....what if the owner is dead....

They just don't want to do their job.

Ask to speak to a manager or go to the courthouse.

There has to be a way to request a NEW title.

Comment

The junkyard is gonna have to get you a new title....They are technically the last owner of the car.....when you sell a car to a junkyard you sign the title as if your making a sale.....but then the junkyard is supposed to let the government know that the car is now in the junkyard and I believe that then essentially ends possible ownership of any car there.....because if the car is a junkyard it should technically be undrivable.

This is what I was told by a junkyard owner up here when I bought my cressida off him....I got lucky tho....he was a lazy ass who didnt send the titles to the government so he just "sold" it back to me.....I think he did tell me if he had sent the title in he could have gotten me a new title but it required more work than he would have wanted to put in....cuz he said they would ask questions as to why hes selling a junked car and all this other crap.....I didnt really listen I was just excited to have the cressida haha

Might be different in different areas but either way you gotta get the junkyard to look into the title.
                    Last edited by King James; 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

^ yes. unfortunately you have to look to the previous owner for title information as they had signed a bill of sale and title @ time of purchase. here in vt, you don't need a title if the vehicle is older than a 1995. i assume it's not set up the same way in maryland? which sucks, because then all you'd need would be a bos.

life is good.

Comment

I don't know exactly how they do things there but here I had the same situation and the junkyard didn't receive a title when they purchased the vehicle. Its very illegal but they do it all the time. You can file for a bonded title or an abandoned title. Both routes take a little bit of work but they are definately worth looking into. There are other possible methods but they aren't as lagit.

click to see my ride
                        click to check out my bb6 dash swap

Comment

Working...
                        X