Chumpcar racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chumpcar racers

Here is a bit on info on my Chumpcar team.

We bought this 91 Accord LX for $525 last winter. We have since stripped out everything that doesn't help it go fast, and tried to make is as reliable as possible without blowing everybody's bank account. Our mods include removing as much weight as possible. We Added safety equipment like, 6 point roll cage, 5 point racing harness, aluminum racing seat, window net, and emergency off switch.

For performance, we are using stock front springs in both the front and rear. This gives us spring rates that are pretty close from front to back. The springs have been drastically cut to get us as low as reasonable. Various parts on the undercarriage are about 3 inches above ground level. We added a rear sway bar from an EX and switched to the heavy EX front sway bar. The front top hats were extended about 3 inches (the stick through the hood). The plan is to extend the rears, because we think we might have ran them out of travel, it is pretty close, and would have only happened under the worst circumstances.

We replaced the timing belt and head gasket to help ensure the motor was reliable. We also replaced most of the hoses, and removed the ones we didn’t need.

We did 2 races in the 2010 season, finishing 8th out of 30 some in Newton and 12th out of 22 in Brainerd. Those races totaled 38 hours of time and our car was on the track for 36 of them. We have lots of room to grow as a team in 2012, improving both as drivers and in the pits. But we were very encouraged by our results in 2011, and the reliability of our Accord.

You can find more info on the car in the member rides section: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184335

we don't race for money, we do it for the trophies
    We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

I'd do it for trophies like that too!

I would look into investing in some good shocks and springs. Cut springs are quite dangerous, and the car can't possibly handle all that well. Our suspensions have potential with even a modest quality setup. You may find a good deal more success with better stuff keeping the car on the ground. Plus, for the amount of work put into the car, I'd hate to see it smack into a wall!

Comment

This is cool. Keep us updated.
      We are all ricers, it just depends what flavor rice you are.

Minitrucker by heart, CB7tuner by coincidence.

My For Sale Thread
      Bowling Pin Shift Knobs

Comment

There are limits for what we can spend on our cars, and springs and shocks definetly count towards those limits. Between the car and our few power mods we don't have room to spend on susppension. I get having nicer shocks that are valved for stiffer springs, but the rules prevent us from upgrading far beyond stock.

I would like to hear why cut springs are viewed as being so dangerous. We didn't cut them with a torch so the heat treatment is not all screwed up. We have re-setup the suspension after the mods. So I am curious what types of problems people have experienced from cut springs.

I can see why ONLY cutting your springs to lower your road car would be an issue. But I am having a hard time imagining why it would be an issue for this application, so please enlighten me.
        We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

Comment

Nice to see competitors here, our team just finished racing the 25:25:25 at nelson ledges and had a blast, although even with a home court advantage many cars were quicker...

this had us also looking into either taking a hit on value or cutting springs.

did you get to run on them, how was it?
          Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

We actually have cut front springs in both the front and rear of our car (2nd set of fronts were from parts car). This approach gave us a similar spring rates in the front and rear without any hit to our value.

Our springs are massivley cut, which makes them a lot stiffer. And we love it, our first race we were droped 2-3 inches, and it was ok, we took a few more inches out of it and it was much better. To get that low we had to extend the top hats so our front shocks still have some travel.

Going that low got us alot of negative camber, which we tend to only need on one side or the other, depending on the track, so we are going to try and home brew up so adjustable camber this winter to try and avoid the AIV hit.

How did you guys finish? What is your car set up? Plan to do more races?

Comment

those are some interesting top hats. Im guessing the hood needs to be clearanced for that to work.
              1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
              newer race video,older race videos
              1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
              1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Comment

How about a brake upgrade, you can use wagon or prelude calipers with the bigger rotors.

Comment

Working...
                X