Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AccordWarrior : 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road

So, we begin again.

Since my beloved 2013 Tacoma was taken from me by an inattentive driver, I'm building a new truck. There will be some similarities, but I've gone off in a new direction with this one. No ARB or rollbar, unfortunately, but it should look nice when I'm done.

IMG_3200-edit by Mike M, on Flickr

It's a 2016 DCSB OR 6MT with the Premium and Tech package with the OEM Tonneau cover.

Engine

- 3.5L
    - 6spd Manual

Suspension
    Current

- PTR13-35150 2G TRD Pro Suspension
    - Headstrong Off-Road AAL
    - ECGS Bushing

Wheels/Tires
    Spring / Summer / Fall
    - Toyota TRD "Beadlock" Wheels - Graphite
    - 265/75-16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2

Winter
    - OEM 2016 TRD Off-Road Wheels
    - 265/75-16 Hankook I-Pike RW11 Tires

Interior
    - OEM Rear Floor Liners
    - OEM Door Sill Protectors
    - OEM Accessory 2005-2015 Tacoma / FJ Cruiser TRD 6MT Shift Knob
    - Weathertech Front Floor Liners
    - Add-on 3 gang switch pod
    - Covercraft Waterproof Seat Covers
    - OEM TRD Shift Knob
    - Air On Board Switches

ICE
    - OEM Entune Premium system, including Nav
    - Alpine PWE-S8 powered subwoofer
    - Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio
    - Scangauge II on a Blendmount
    - Aukey DR-01 Dash Camera

Exterior
    - OEM TRD Pro Grille - real, no replica BS
    - OEM TRD Pro Rigid Fog Lamps
    - OEM TRD PRO Skidplate
    - Tuffskinz TRD Letters in Turbo Silver
    - Debadged "Tacoma" on doors and "V6" on tailgate
    - Removed TRD OR Decals
    - OEM bed mat
    - OEM exhaust tip
    - CBI Ditch Light Mount - Removed
    - Firestik 4' Antenna - Removed
    - OEM Mud Flaps
    - Generic LED Reverse Lamps
    - OEM 2G Running Boards
    - Retro 4WD Mudflap Decals
    - Philips Xtra-Vision +100 Headlight Bulbs
    - Black Horse Sport Bar
    - KC "C-Series" 30" LED Bar
    - KC Pro Sport 6" HID Lamps
    - Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Holder
    - Blue Sea Fuse Panels
    - Blue Sea Circuit Breaker

To Be Installed
    - Wilson Little Wil Antenna

Future Plans

- Depo Replica Pro Head Lamps or 2020 OEM LED Lamps
    - Homelink Rear View Mirror
    - Subaru Tweeters(?)
    - Door Speakers(?)

Additional Photos :

Right after I bought it and debadged, prior to sticker removal
    IMG_0027-edit by Mike M, on Flickr

CB Radio Setup
    IMG_0777 by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_0763 by Mike M, on Flickr

Alpine Subwoofer
    IMG_1281 by Mike M, on Flickr

Covercraft Seat Covers
    IMG_0573 by Mike M, on Flickr

Pro Items
    IMG_1794 by Mike M, on Flickr

Misc Photos
    IMG_1324 by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1309-edit by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1307 by Mike M, on Flickr

IMG_1359-edit by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1350-edit by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1348-edit by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1375-edit by Mike M, on Flickr

IMG_1785 by Mike M, on Flickr
    IMG_1784 by Mike M, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by AccordWarrior; 02-17-2023, 03:50 PM.

Very nice! I wish they would have man the tundra manual. But definitely a nice upgrade.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Wow, lots of car purchases, man! The six speed manual is gold! I never liked the front end of these after the recent face lift, but it's a great package.
      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
        Wow, lots of car purchases, man! The six speed manual is gold! I never liked the front end of these after the recent face lift, but it's a great package.
        The Vette replaced the STi. The delta between what I sold the STi for and what I bought the Vette for would have paid off the truck. Unfortunately I got stuck having to buy a new truck after the moron crossed the center line and took out my truck. I loved it to absolute death and didn't plan on getting rid of it for a lot of years but my hand got forced.

This one makes a lot more sense for my future with real back seats. Admittedly the interior and head unit system a a LOT nicer than my old one but I do miss my lift / bumper / wheels and tires a ton. It was so nice having a completely unique truck. This one had to be stick though between my dislike of the transmission on the last one and the issues with the autos on the new one it made complete sense.

The Mazda is my wife's. After replacing 7 brake calipers in 2 years on her tC, I was done.

Comment

This is a really nice package! Congrats!
          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
            This is a really nice package! Congrats!
            Thanks!

It really could use some more tire, but at this point in my life, justifying $900 for a set of BFG KO2s when I have brand new tires is a bit...tough. I've got new wheels waiting when the time comes.

I want to lift the front, but Tacomas are very touchy with lifts. I had to get a special bushing for the front differential when I lifted my last one.

Comment

I'm putting the Teraflex Prerunnner kit on my Jeep. But to run it the way it was tuned I need 35s instead of my stock 32s. But a 35 is 12.50 wide and I won't run those on stock wheels (some do). So then I need wheels. Falken Wildpeak MT 35s run about 270 shipped, good wheels are about the same. But it's a jeep so I need 5. So that's 2700 just for bigger tires. F me. My stock tires are 980 to replace plus mount and balance. Trucks get expensive quick lol. All said and done (shipping included), it's about 7100 to turn my Jeep into a Prerunner, and that's still with stock axles (D30HD front, non Rubi D44 rear).

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                I'm putting the Teraflex Prerunnner kit on my Jeep. But to run it the way it was tuned I need 35s instead of my stock 32s. But a 35 is 12.50 wide and I won't run those on stock wheels (some do). So then I need wheels. Falken Wildpeak MT 35s run about 270 shipped, good wheels are about the same. But it's a jeep so I need 5. So that's 2700 just for bigger tires. F me. My stock tires are 980 to replace plus mount and balance. Trucks get expensive quick lol. All said and done (shipping included), it's about 7100 to turn my Jeep into a Prerunner, and that's still with stock axles (D30HD front, non Rubi D44 rear).
                Yeah. My wheels were something like $900 this go round. I kept the spare from my '13, so I will only need 4 tires. I think I had about $2,000 into wheels/tires with my old one.

How do the differentials hold up to the larger tires? My good friend has an Xterra and while he'd have no physical issues fitting a 285, the diffs hate it. I'd have to cut my body to do 285s so I have no interest in that.
                Last edited by AccordWarrior; 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM.

Comment

To my knowledge the diffs do just fine, it's all the other stuff that breaks first.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
                    Thanks!
                    I want to lift the front, but Tacomas are very touchy with lifts. I had to get a special bushing for the front differential when I lifted my last one.
                    I do wiring work for Icon and their stuff seems pretty nice. I wired up the lights and fridge on their 2016 tacoma.
                    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                      I do wiring work for Icon and their stuff seems pretty nice. I wired up the lights and fridge on their 2016 tacoma.
                      Very nice!

I had the Icon progressive AAL setup on my last Tacoma and loved it.

I want to go a bit crazy with this one, but unfortunately the budget is not going to allow that one to happen.

Comment

New grille time!

Looks SO much better than the OEM one as seen here:

Comment

Major updates on the first post.

Comment

Tacomas are very nice trucks, they are well built(even with the recent rear suspension and differential recalls) and hold their value like no other vehicle; i looked into one for myself at one point but i could not go down from a full size to a midsize truck and opted for a long bed GMC instead. I looked into aTundra too but in the price range were worse condition than my truck. Nice truck though man.
                            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                              Tacomas are very nice trucks, they are well built(even with the recent rear suspension and differential recalls) and hold their value like no other vehicle; i looked into one for myself at one point but i could not go down from a full size to a midsize truck and opted for a long bed GMC instead. I looked into aTundra too but in the price range were worse condition than my truck. Nice truck though man.
                              When my 2013 was totaled, I got more than I paid for it new (granted, I had a pile of mods on it that I was compensated for, but still, I had owned it for 3+ years).

The rear diff recalls for the whining has been seemingly targeted to a harmonic rather than an actual issue, but I'm lifting the truck in the next month or two, so that will solve that issue regardless.

Toyota has had rear suspension issues since the 80's in terms of the leafs flattening out.

This is my 3rd Toyota pickup as I have zero need for a full size. It's also one of the very few manual transmission trucks still available, so I absolutely love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X