CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
F22A1 Firing on 2 Cylinders

Good Evening,

I wasn't sure where to post this topic, if it's not in the correct spot just delete this post. I have a F22A1 in a 97 Honda Odyssey. It's almost like looking at a CB7 under the hood. I am running a OBD1 PT6 ECU and I'm having trouble with either the injectors or distributor. I'll try to be brief and let you know what the problem is, and I'll list everything that has been modified.

Problem: Looking at the F, the left 2 cylinders 1 & 2 fire, 3 and 4 don't fire. If I unplug cylinder 1, cylinder 3 and 4 start to fire (2 not affected). If I plug back in cylinder 1, 3 and 4 stop firing (2 not affected). If I unplug 2, only cylinder 1 is firing only. It's either cylinder 1 spark or fuel injector/wiring.

I have 180 compression on all 4 cylinders. I rebuilt the motor with stock internals. I've tried timing, (distributor and cam) I've tried rewiring my harness, and checking grounds. I just can't figure this weird problem out. I have no codes on the ECU (tried 3 different ecus), I have went through and fixed every code I had.

Modified Parts:
F22a6 Cam
F22a6 intake
H22a4 Plenum
H22a4 Fuel Rail
F22a injectors
F22a Fuel Pressure Regulator
Milled Head (not sure how much)
Custom wire harness (self built)
Deleted ABS (not sure if matters)
Deleted SRS (not sure if matters)

If you would like to see video, I can record and post a video of this problem if that helps with diagnosing.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:55 PM   #2
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 181
wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
Sounds like an ignition problem. What distributor are you using? Did you make custom spark plug wires? I wonder if you wiggling the wires back and forth when you take them in and out is shorting them out. Just to be clear, I think when looking at the motor from the front of the vehicle the cylinders are, from L to R: 4 - 3 - 2 - 1.

Does the inside of the distributor cap look ok? Shouldn't be cracked or burned up looking inside.

If that doesn't shed any light on it, you might drop in to ericthecarguy.com and ask over there (no connection to him, I just appreciate his vids and have studied them). He's made some really good videos on old Honda ignitions and seems to know them really well.

Last edited by wtfisafleek; 10-25-2017 at 09:03 PM.
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
Sounds like an ignition problem. What distributor are you using? Did you make custom spark plug wires? I wonder if you wiggling the wires back and forth when you take them in and out is shorting them out. Just to be clear, I think when looking at the motor from the front of the vehicle the cylinders are, from L to R: 4 - 3 - 2 - 1.

Does the inside of the distributor cap look ok? Shouldn't be cracked or burned up looking inside.

If that doesn't shed any light on it, you might drop in to ericthecarguy.com and ask over there (no connection to him, I just appreciate his vids and have studied them). He's made some really good videos on old Honda ignitions and seems to know them really well.
New NGK plugs and wires, it's a 90/91 accord distrubor (coil inside). I've tried different plugs, different distributors, different injectors. Even tried wiring up different wires for the dizzy and injectors and bypassed the harness.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
wtfisafleek
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Mesquite, TX
Posts: 181
wtfisafleek is cool... so far.
The rotor in the distributor should only fit one way if I'm not mistaken, so that can't be it... with you swapping all those parts maybe that rules them out.

Has this motor ever ran correctly with the harness you made?
wtfisafleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #5
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisafleek View Post
The rotor in the distributor should only fit one way if I'm not mistaken, so that can't be it... with you swapping all those parts maybe that rules them out.

Has this motor ever ran correctly with the harness you made?
Nop, it ran back in the day when it was in my previous CB that ended up getting totaled. Different harness of corse. I've been doing some reading, I'm thinking it's a ground issue. I'm going to keep poking around with the grounds.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
GTRON
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas City Mo
Posts: 708
GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Nop, it ran back in the day when it was in my previous CB that ended up getting totaled. Different harness of corse. I've been doing some reading, I'm thinking it's a ground issue. I'm going to keep poking around with the grounds.
I know when I didn't have my thermostat ground connected properly, my car wouldn't start at all! Freaked me out, the car cranked, but there was no fuel or spark.
__________________
I'm faster then a prius
GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRON View Post
I know when I didn't have my thermostat ground connected properly, my car wouldn't start at all! Freaked me out, the car cranked, but there was no fuel or spark.
Well I found out it's not a ground issue, I think it's interference with the signal wire on the distributor.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
GTRON
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Kansas City Mo
Posts: 708
GTRON is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Well I found out it's not a ground issue, I think it's interference with the signal wire on the distributor.
Glad you're figuring it out, let me know if you need an extra hand.
__________________
I'm faster then a prius
GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #9
sonikaccord
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 4,106
sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
Good Evening,

Problem: Looking at the F, the left 2 cylinders 1 & 2 fire, 3 and 4 don't fire. If I unplug cylinder 1, cylinder 3 and 4 start to fire (2 not affected). If I plug back in cylinder 1, 3 and 4 stop firing (2 not affected). If I unplug 2, only cylinder 1 is firing only. It's either cylinder 1 spark or fuel injector/wiring.
Firing order is 1-3-4-2 for Honda's. In your case cylinders 3 and 4 are causing some issues.

Your custom harness... are the CYP/TDC/CKP wires shielded properly? Are the polarities right? Are they twisted pairs? Do you have a noid light to check your injector firing order?
__________________
<Click for story - Welcome back!
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:28 PM   #10
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
After my custom wire harness, I couldn't get the motor firing right. I put a OEM OBD1 Odyssey harness in the car, didn't make a difference on firing. Before I start tearing this motor down to pieces to figure out what it could be I had a question about the cam. Currently in the motor is a F22B6 cam in a F22A head. I was told the A6 and B6 cam is the same pretty much, if that's true great. The old F22B6 motor was overheated bad... I used the F22B6 from the warped head in the F22A head. Can a cam get damaged from a warped head to make a noticeable difference in firing or can the cam warp as well? I'm about to take a F22A6 cam and stick that sucker inside and see if it makes a difference.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #11
92smokeaccord
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: north branford ct
Posts: 2,190
92smokeaccord seems to have made some friends! 92smokeaccord seems to have made some friends!
If I am not mistaken I do t think you can use the pt6 ecu. If you do I think you still have to swap a couple pins around on the body to get it to run. You should try a stock 97oddy ecu for the 4 cylinder. It should run fine. Also everything should be used from the f22b motor. Dizzy,injectors, injector resistor( if it uses one) even stock oddy engine harness. The ecu may run the motor a tad bit weird but still on all 4 cylinders.
__________________

my new turbo build
92smokeaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #12
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
Results:

Not sure if the head gasket caused this or what, any ideas?



__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 PM   #13
BreckAConner
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: KC/MO
Posts: 450
BreckAConner is cool... so far.
I had the block and the head decked/milled, do you think firing on 2 cylinders is because of the timing being way off? The 2 clean cylinders are the ones not firing. I have an adjustable cam gear so I can adjust the timing, but I don't know how much the timing would be off if that's the case.
__________________
For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!
1st - 1992 CB7 LX Sedan --> Sold
2nd - 1991 CB9 EX Wagon
--> Extra
3rd - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Totaled
4th - 1990 CB7 EX Sedan --> Daily
5th - 1990 CB7 LX Coupe --> Sold
Other - 1983 VT750c, x2 1997 RA1 LX & x2 1997 RA1 EX, 2001 BB6 Base
BreckAConner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #14
fleetw00d
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Chester, Ohio
Posts: 2,492
fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckAConner View Post
I had the block and the head decked/milled, do you think firing on 2 cylinders is because of the timing being way off? The 2 clean cylinders are the ones not firing. I have an adjustable cam gear so I can adjust the timing, but I don't know how much the timing would be off if that's the case.
Your initial description says 3 and 4 fire is you disconnect #1- this would seem to be a wiring issue, not cam timing or head gasket related.
__________________
90 LX 4dr 5 spd 368,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
93 LX wagon auto 249,000 MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=208490
92 EX coupe auto 168,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=205114
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.