H22 Bogging and Missing TPS or bad catalytic converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
    See what kind of pressure you get when pinching the return line (briefly); I don't see it above, but did you swap in your spare regulator?
    I already returned the rented gauge and it was a bitch getting my old stud that holds the fuel banjo line out and back in. I actually rounded off the threads partly on my spare rail now using the two nut method. Took quite a bit of force to undo that fuelrail stud.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      I don't think it's your fuel pump. The symptoms would be worse and the PSI difference is only 1 PSI. Failing pumps usually quit all together. Try what fleetwood said first, but I think around 30PSI should be fine to my knowledge.

I think you need to collect more evidence here. Just thinking outside the box...

- After a run, what do your spark plugs look like? fuel soaked, fine, etc.
      - Does it have the problem in neutral in the driveway? (when warm)
      - Does the car do the same thing in neutral (coast on the highway,hold the gas)
      - Would you say the problem is temperature related every time?
      - Have you tested the voltage at the fuel pump yet after a run?
      - Do you have any electrical issues? (did a mouse get in and chew wires?)
      Most pumps say they put out around 43psi when running, when mine is running it initially puts out 30psi, then immediately dips when any throttle is applied. It doesn't get above 30psi, even if I'm at 4000 rpm or raise the throttle any.

I haven't removed my plugs, they're only 6k miles old, about a year and a half old.

It has problems idling in neutral, RPMs dip down low and sometimes have to blip the gas because of my lightweight flywheel and IACV that's probably broken too.

It doesn't idle when cold due to not having a FITV. When warm, the idle drops and sometimes kill the car.

I haven't tested the voltage at the pump. I'm just going to replace it since its 25 years old and has over 250k miles.

No electrical issues. Its an AZ car so its rust free, but who knows what happened when it was stored. It developed some surface corrosion on the bolts in the engine bay which pisses me off, even though I had it garaged and covered.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
      I'd be looking at the mechanical timing and the MAP sensor personally

Also, make sure your resistor box is working correctly too. Sometimes they have weird symptoms when they fail and this is right on par with that.

Also, considered an intake gasket being bad? If you had a gasket fail, the pressure in the manifold wouldn't be registering correctly and the ECU would withhold gas because of it
      I need to do my timing belt soon. It was installed in 2008 has about 75k miles on it.

I don't have access to any JYs around here. New MAP sensors are too expensive, Autozone wants around $100 for one. When in AZ, I'd probably just meet up with people that had swapped CBs and it would be easy. Here in MI, nobody drives Hondas...kinda depressing.

My only option for a resistor box would be new, and it'd be way too much money, again due to no JYs. Never heard of bogging symptoms from a resistor box from all the threads I've read online.

Intake manifold gasket I have is a reuseable Hondata phenolic plastic, so its not a paper one that leaks.

Well I'll let everyone know what I find out. I already ordered the 190lph Walbro and install kit from Amazon and got a new tank base gasket ordered from Honda.

If this won't fix it, then I guess I'm doing a timing belt since its due anyways.

This car is frustrating me so much, I almost feel like just ditching it for something else. I've been trying to fix it for a solid month now, wasting all my weekend time with crap that doesn't fix it.
      Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-04-2018, 09:08 PM.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Also, I looked at my Helms manual for the Accord and the symptoms seem to point to a fuel pump as the predominant cause. Loss of power>Fuel Pump. I'm thinking its just tired after that long, motors eventually fail right, usually they put out less power before completely failing.

Last edited by Losiracer2; 06-04-2018, 10:45 PM.

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Sorry to see youre still having issues. Will be watching for updates.
          Maybe the pre-filter sock for the pump has succumbed to time and schmoo in the tank and clogged up? Thats what came to mind when demanding more fuel and the pressure dropping, or like you said just a tired old pump. Ive always heard they dont fizzle out, they just drop dead.

Comment

I have an extra used map sensor if you need one. Or I can pick one up at one of the yards near me this weekend. Lemme know.
            http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
              I have an extra used map sensor if you need one. Or I can pick one up at one of the yards near me this weekend. Lemme know.
              yeah its worth a shot I guess. I don't have any CELs on though...I remember when I first was trying to sort out all my emissions control box stuff in AZ to pass emissions, and I would always get a CEL when something wasn't setup properly.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I figured it out! My car is alive and has power now!

Soo which adjustable Skunk2 cam gear doesn't look right? I can't believe I didn't spot the obvious. I was so focused on the timing on the distributor side of the camshaft that I didn't even think to inspect if either one of the cam gears had shifted.

10 Degrees Retarded! TEN DEGREES on the exhaust cam....no wonder it would barely idle and would bog and miss like crazy with any amount of throttle. It somehow shifted and the 6 allen head screws were pretty loose.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                X