Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Removing trunk springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing trunk springs

I am replacing my oem trunk with a carbon fiber oem style trunk. I can to realize is that I need to remove the two tension bars that make the trunk pop open. Doe everyone and a special and/or easy way of removing them with hurting my self? I believe there is special tool from Honda but don't know the name for it so I would not know what to search for. Any help greatly appreciate in advance.

i have never removed those, but everytime i need to remove a part that im scared it will pop in my face and explode my head, i attach it with metal wire or with a ''C'' clamp visegrip and wear gloves to avoid getting my fingers snapped, then i grow myself a pair of huge balls of steel and just go ahead doing the job lol

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Remove it when the trunk is opened so there is not as much tension on it.
      Last edited by sonikaccord; 01-19-2014, 10:14 AM. Reason: safety

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

easiest way would be bolt cutters, standing as far away as you can.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I was thinking about doing the same

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Remove it when the trunk is closed so there is not as much tension on it.
            There is more tension on them when the trunk is closed. I have used a large pair of channel locks to grab the end of the "U" and the side of the tool as the fulcrum to undo/and reinstall the springs (still be careful!).

Edit: Be sure to support the trunk lid, as soon as you undo one spring, the second spring probably isn't enough to hold it up.
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I thought about that after I posted it.

Maybe some big zip ties can hold them together

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

There is a YouTube video on this. I did the same thing when I installed an OEM spoiler. I used vice grips instead of channel locks as fleetwood stated above.

Comment

Why can you not just remove the lid from the hinges? Spoiler or not, the CF trunk will be lighter so it will spring up a little more than the stock trunk but it shouldnt be an issue.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                    Why can you not just remove the lid from the hinges? Spoiler or not, the CF trunk will be lighter so it will spring up a little more than the stock trunk but it shouldnt be an issue.
                    That's what I was thinking. Unless the trunk doesn't have mount points for the springs.

Or another thought, maybe the carbon fiber isn't strong enough to hold the tension of the springs.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                      There is more tension on them when the trunk is closed. I have used a large pair of channel locks to grab the end of the "U" and the side of the tool as the fulcrum to undo/and reinstall the springs (still be careful!).

Edit: Be sure to support the trunk lid, as soon as you undo one spring, the second spring probably isn't enough to hold it up.
                      thanks for the advice. I took the oem trunk completely off first and then and went ahead and remove the springs. It took me a well to remove the first one but as soon as i figure it out and second came out quick...

Comment

Originally posted by dcsally97 View Post
                        There is a YouTube video on this. I did the same thing when I installed an OEM spoiler. I used vice grips instead of channel locks as fleetwood stated above.
                        Thanks, i wish you would have post a link to the video on youtube before because i feel like i did it the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                          You are right about the spoiler. I was not so sure about the springs and the cf trunk. i paid a lot of money for the trunk and do not want to risk it.
                          So i just remove them so it would not have a chance of breaking. Its already done and finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                            That's what I was thinking. Unless the trunk doesn't have mount points for the springs.

Or another thought, maybe the carbon fiber isn't strong enough to hold the tension of the springs.
                            The trunk did have and the mount (holes) for the hinges, and like i states before i did not want to risk that the trunk was strong enough or not.

Comment

All done

Comment

Working...
                              X