Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Cruise Control failure

Hey everyone.

1991 EX 5spd Sedan with about 250k on it.

Lately it seems the cruise control will sometimes work as normal, and other times it will not engage at all. However, the light on the instrument cluster will always illuminate to say the CC is engaged.

Anyone have a procedure to test the system out or know of a common failure?

Thanks!

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
    Hey everyone.

1991 EX 5spd Sedan with about 250k on it.

Lately it seems the cruise control will sometimes work as normal, and other times it will not engage at all. However, the light on the instrument cluster will always illuminate to say the CC is engaged.

Anyone have a procedure to test the system out or know of a common failure?

Thanks!
    It's a simply system. Just an electronically controlled vacuum which holds the throttle cable in place (via another cable). I'm guessing your unit is "gummed up" or leaking and it's simply not engaging. You are going to be doing things like seeing if it gets an electrical connection when it's not working (volt meter). And testing the actuator manually with some voltage. You'll need a manual to try and find proper wires, etc. Or the easy way is to find another actuator and test it. If it works then it was the actuator. If not then it's the voltage being supplied to it (old fuse, old wires, etc.) or a hose leak possibly.
    If temps are a factor, take that into consideration too.

Comment

Mine takes a few minutes to start working when its super cold out. I just figured it wasn't building enough vacuum yet so I set it high and slow down(close the throttle) until it hits. Can take 10 miles sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
        Mine takes a few minutes to start working when its super cold out. I just figured it wasn't building enough vacuum yet so I set it high and slow down(close the throttle) until it hits. Can take 10 miles sometimes.
        That's the rubber plunger in the unit. It's old and when cold doesn't flex as well. I'm guessing the engine bay heat makes the rubber more pliable and then it starts working.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          That's the rubber plunger in the unit. It's old and when cold doesn't flex as well. I'm guessing the engine bay heat makes the rubber more pliable and then it starts working.
          Is it rebuildable? Its too cold out to go digging around right now

Comment

I have a couple of them. If you want to try a different one, just pay shipping.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
              Is it rebuildable? Its too cold out to go digging around right now
              No. The whole unit is sealed together via machine and has a folded metal lip on it. You could pry it apart but you'll never get it back together again.

Comment

Hey everyone.

I fixed the problem by removing some of the slack on the cable that runs from the actuator to the gas pedal.

Seems to be OK now.

Comment

Nice. Thanks for the update!
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                  MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
                    Hey everyone.

I fixed the problem by removing some of the slack on the cable that runs from the actuator to the gas pedal.

Seems to be OK now.
                    Sweeet. Never thought of that and good to know.

Comment

Working...
                    X