No announcement yet.

domesticated : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But even when you balance and blueprint and engine, you still have detrimental harmonics that cannot be balanced out from the crank, rods, and pistons.

Anyway, more good news. My S4 broke, I'm not due for an upgrade for 9 more months and I forgot to update my insurance info when I switched bank accounts after the move, so I'm SOL. Looks like a 200 dollar fix. But I've been out of a phone for 3 days now and it's weird. I've been using Google to make phone calls.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
      I could only see it being a good idea to remove them if you were rebuilding the engine to different specs and could cancel out the added vibration.

I'm sure we could get lots of the kids on the facebook group to guinea pig this for us with a little encouragement.
      Ill let you know how it goes..

a 1.8 liter B18 doesnt have balance shafts and has almost the same rod ratio as an h22..I believe theyre more for creature comfort, but others have said its bad to not run them, Ive seen other say it doesnt matter as long as you dont mind vibration. I dont mind the vibration part, simplifying timing belt service and not having to worry about seals popping or wearing out or the shafts locking up. From what I gather they have no effect on rotational balancing but only counteract the forces of the pistons doing their thing. I took the gamble. Hopefully my crank bearings can take the bit more of abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
        But even when you balance and blueprint and engine, you still have detrimental harmonics that cannot be balanced out from the crank, rods, and pistons.

Anyway, more good news. My S4 broke, I'm not due for an upgrade for 9 more months and I forgot to update my insurance info when I switched bank accounts after the move, so I'm SOL. Looks like a 200 dollar fix. But I've been out of a phone for 3 days now and it's weird. I've been using Google to make phone calls.
        Yeah, I read the rest of your link after my post.

Check out ting.Com it's a good cell company that only charges you for what you use and the phones are bought outright so there's no cancellation bs.

Comment

I use like 10 gigs of data a month lol. I pay 80/month unlimited everything.

But as far as the balancing, I have no data on our engines, but I have seen them first hand ruin oil pumps quick and reduce bearing life too. A 4 cylinder will fundamentally cancel out R1 vibrations, but fundamentally the R2 vibrations need assistance, hence balance shafts. I could care less about my engine feels at idle, but I sure as hell would want as little vibration as possible over 8k!

Comment

I think it all depends on the pratical use of the engine, if you plan to daily drive the car then keep the balancing shafts. But if it is just for road racing or track use then remove the shafts for a little more power. Eliminating the balance shafts also reduce parasitic drag. I don't think the vibrations would be that noticeable when reving the car past 8k. You probably would have other things shaking so bad that it will cancel out the engine vibrations,unless you have solid mounts.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

You also gain oil pressure when you delete the balance shafts because you must block the oiling passages to the balance shafts. But to each their own, there are advantages and disadvantages.

She needs a pressure washing!

If you go turbo on an aged motor how long do you expect it to last? Damage to FRM sleeves is an expensive fix.

Comment

Honestly. I have a balance shaft delete on my H22. It's running pretty poopy taking WAY more abuse then yours would've. (I presume) and It's been fine. Having no issues due to the delete.
                Not positive how much power it saves you but a LOT of people do them around here.
                Originally posted by cb9love
                when all the cali cb's get forced off the road send em back too Ohio, we will still run them cats or not.

Comment

I use like 10 gigs of data a month lol. I pay 80/month unlimited everything.

But as far as the balancing, I have no data on our engines, but I have seen them first hand ruin oil pumps quick and reduce bearing life too. A 4 cylinder will fundamentally cancel out R1 vibrations, but fundamentally the R2 vibrations need assistance, hence balance shafts. I could care less about my engine feels at idle, but I sure as hell would want as little vibration as possible over 8k!
                  Wow, that's cheap.

And yeah, i agree. I was going back and forth on the balance shaft issue, but i'm gonna trust Honda's engineering and leave them alone.

Comment

I pay 80/month unlimited everything.
                    You US guys get rinsed for phone costs! I pay £15 ($24) a month unlimited data, texts etc.

Shame we pay £1.30 a litre ($8 a gallon) for fuel though!

Win some loose some.

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                    UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                    NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

Well, you have low internet costs and much higher speeds than we do here, as well.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Is that so? That suprises me, didnt know that.

For all sitting on the fence on the Ball Shit Belt, I mean Balancer shaft belt this great post by owequitit is a nice read.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...3&postcount=38

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                        UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                        NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I don't care about how the engine feels as far as harshness, I'm concerned with keeping it healthy. I beat on my car pretty hard and run it at high RPMs all the time. I know vibrations are bad and I don't care about 2% gain in power. I was talking to powertrain engineers at work and they all agreed that the 1-2% increase in power isn't worth all the damage it does to you're engine.

Comment

If I'm correcT, that link is saying that there is no damage occurring due to removing the balance shafts. You just feel more vibratiob

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                            MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

Originally posted by SanJoCaF22DrAcc View Post
                              If I'm correcT, that link is saying that there is no damage occurring due to removing the balance shafts. You just feel more vibratiob
                              "What balance shafts do is something terribly important. They drastically reduce engine crankshaft harmonics. Excessive harmonics can cause the following problems:

Clutch drag at high RPM
                              Clutch failure
                              Buzzy engine
                              Engine main bearing fretting and fatigue
                              Crankshaft failure
                              Buzzy interior and exterior parts"

And they specifically showed pictures of damage to clutches and the input shaft of the engine.

Comment

But that link states that those vibrations remain even with the balance shaft hooked up and working. All that's being done by having those in place is Thea I of feeling it. The vibration does not cease to exist it is merely masked.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                                MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

Working...
                                X