No announcement yet.

Loyal car owners and quitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just wasted 20 minutes writing something and deleted it so here's the short version, people sell their cars for many reasons; primarily financially it seems. It seems wrong for anyone to be upset with that because clearly those people didn't want to be in those situations and have to sell their passion just to pay rent in some cases.

For others, there's only so much you can do with a car that wasn't already built for performance so when you've accomplished all your goals and you've had your fun the spark seems to die and you want something else to build. Its pretty simple.

The CB chassis isn't going to die tomorrow. There will still be people buying them and modding and maintaining. The way I see it, with the departure of some of the better builds, a little more focus gets put on newer members that now have a great foundation to build on because those previous/OG builds existed. Sure it sucks to see them go but that's life. Change isn't always bad.

The Facebook group

Comment

The sad part is that MOST of the newer CB enthusiasts seem to be of a totally different mindset. They don't take pride in their work because it's good work, or because they use quality parts. They seem to spend more time bragging about doing things "for the low", or being "creative" (meaning halfassed mods, not genuine creativity like you'll find in much of our DIY section.) They're too lazy to search for correct answers, and too quick to accept and follow halfassed, unverified advice.

Basically, CB7tuners are starting back where we were in 2003, only with a different, inferior mentality.

We're not going to see the degree of quality in the builds that we've seen in years past. As the longtime serious CB7tuner members move on, their cars will likely pass to people that will abuse them or part them out. Those that replace them aren't likely to be on the same level. The cars are cheaper, the available quality components are fewer, the available low-quality components are many, and the desire of the average CB7tuner is becoming less about learning, and more about doing things as quickly and cheaply as possible... the mindset of people who buy and modify $500 cars.

For those reasons, I can actually understand the anger, because once we lose the longtime serious enthusiasts, we will have lost something that we will never recover.

Comment

This is a pretty depressing thread.
        Originally posted by cb7dazz
        And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        ...for example

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          The sad part is that MOST of the newer CB enthusiasts seem to be of a totally different mindset. They don't take pride in their work because it's good work, or because they use quality parts. They seem to spend more time bragging about doing things "for the low", or being "creative" (meaning halfassed mods, not genuine creativity like you'll find in much of our DIY section.) They're too lazy to search for correct answers, and too quick to accept and follow halfassed, unverified advice.

Basically, CB7tuners are starting back where we were in 2003, only with a different, inferior mentality.

We're not going to see the degree of quality in the builds that we've seen in years past. As the longtime serious CB7tuner members move on, their cars will likely pass to people that will abuse them or part them out. Those that replace them aren't likely to be on the same level. The cars are cheaper, the available quality components are fewer, the available low-quality components are many, and the desire of the average CB7tuner is becoming less about learning, and more about doing things as quickly and cheaply as possible... the mindset of people who buy and modify $500 cars.

For those reasons, I can actually understand the anger, because once we lose the longtime serious enthusiasts, we will have lost something that we will never recover.

Yeah I can see that. I haven't really been checking out the threads since the beginning of this past semester but there seems to be at least a couple that are still in with doing things right. Everything I'll do with my car will be proper but I can't say it'll be done in a year or two or three. I really wish I was older during the era this stuff started with people that seem to actually care about their car. It seemed like it was who had the nicest higher end parts. While expensive doesn't always mean quality compared to what goes around now... Losing the members with the knowledge is obviously worse than seeing them sell a car. Quite a few times I've looked through MRTs and wanted to ask the owner something but they're no longer active.

What doesn't make sense to me is, being able to buy them cheap should be the draw to them. If you save money buying the car then more money for parts and upgrades. I've seen people on Instagram say they sold their Honda for something more "expensive" which was just a 240 hatch. Really??? I don't really get it to be honest. I think I actually prefer the "status" crowd over the "popular" crowd. Now people get ridiculed for buying pricey things.

The Facebook group

Comment

because my goal in this life time is to conquer working on every genre and origin of make.

the cb7 was a great stepping stone, i learned how to do clutches, motors, suspension, wiring, racing. it basically just blew up from there and now im doing ls swaps in 3 days and building all kinds of motors.

i like it all and i just can't stick to one brand (not like my boss who is a bowtie nut (3 iroc camaros, 69 camaro, 70 chevelle) or my other friend who has three ford products and only bleeds blue. makes me sick to my stomach.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

That's a true automotive enthusiast. Not dedicated to a single car, but dedicated to the pursuit of the next project. I love the CB7, and I still feel that the CB7 community is better than any other I've encountered, but I'm still interested in other cars as well.

If I can keep my CB7 and still enjoy pursuing other cars, I'd like to do that. Right now, I'm really nerding out over buying a 1st gen Miata. I still love my CTS-V. Someday I'd love something rocking an M badge, or an AMG badge. Someday, I plan on building a Factory Five 33 Hotrod kit car. I'd love to restore a "boring" old Jaguar (probably one of the first three generations of XJ... even though it was the car that destroyed Jag's sporty reputation!) Of course, I'd want to swap a reliable, inexpensive, lightweight, and highly potent aluminum LSx I'd love to pick up a Volvo P1800. I'd love to get a completely senseless truck... like the X6 M, Saab 9-7x Aero (the Trollblazer SS), the SVT Lightning, or the Ram SRT10.

I dream. A lot. Sadly, I wrench very little.

Comment

well if you ever feel like modding that cts-v let me know. im knee deep into performance LS stuff and i hope you replaced the valve springs in the ls6 motor because theyre known for breaking and causing catastrophic failure. a full set is like 70 bucks lol.

a vw/audi shop has a mk4 jetta mechanic special and i may pull the trigger and do this with it.

I <3 G60.

Comment

^ Is that a combo of two cars or an import? I saw this at a show in 2010, and it surprised the hell out of me. I wasn't expecting VW to ever have made a ute!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    well if you ever feel like modding that cts-v let me know. im knee deep into performance LS stuff and i hope you replaced the valve springs in the ls6 motor because theyre known for breaking and causing catastrophic failure. a full set is like 70 bucks lol.

a vw/audi shop has a mk4 jetta mechanic special and i may pull the trigger and do this with it.

That's just weird!

And I have an 06 CTS-V, so it's got the LS2 rather than the LS6. Not sure if they addressed the spring issue. 111,000 miles on it so far, and no engine issues. I do need to figure out how to get the damn spark plug wires off, though! "Twist and pull"... practically impossible to get a good grip!

Comment

it's a conversion kit for 3500. im not sure if safety has been tested though.
                      I <3 G60.

Comment

the best car ive ever built. And the only car i'd do over again if i had extra money to blow. Soo many things that were unique and hard to find, i kinda regret it. But it felt victim of tiredness of constant repairs. Because it was a daily. But im the type who builds cars to drive it, not build it to let it collect dust in the garage. Also eventually at car shows if you do enough of em, people get tired of seeing the same ol car with the same mods. To keep up with the game you gotta keep on modding and being innovative and willing to change a few things here and there. To me, i felt like i hit a wall and it wasn't worth it anymore. So i moved on. Got myself a G37 and loved it.

Comment

I just love cars the different engine's, chassis, and designs I've had I think 37 cars so far and at the moment Iown my latest CB an 86 300zx turbo and about to venture into the wankle world with a nice little convertible 88 FC rx7. To me it's not about a passion for one chassis it's about the passion for them all it keeps one motivated, knowledgeable, and a enthusiast which in the automotive world is what should matter as we all should share that passion. I just sold big Bertha a week or so ago and about to sell my ex car tomorrow, this is not only a passion to own many varieties of cars nor a hobby but a love for every breed in the mindset of wanting and needing to learn something new everyday.

I've owned four CBS im sure I will get another eventually as well, but so many interesting fun platforms amognst us as in enthusiast we must venture out into another adventure. But sometimes what keeps us coming back to one chassis is theirs no place like home.

02 Crv
                          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                          Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I've never owned a car more than 3 years. I've spent considerable money on some vehicles, just to dump them. To say I haven't been financially smart in my automotive endeavors would be an understatement.

I let my heart do the talking, and my ass do the busting to pay for it.

I've owned over 40 cars since 2001. There are just so many cars out there that I lust after and want to own and play with and enjoy that I just can't make long term commitments to them.

They're kind of like women. Once I've had enough of one, I find a new one.

Might explain why I'm still single too. LOL

There's a few cars I've sold that I would like to have back again. But I did that once with one of my CB's and it just wasn't the same the second time around. The memory is sometimes better than living with the car.

That's basically it for me. There's just so much choice and I want to be able to experience them and learn and have fun. Once you name it, you have to keep it. That's why I don't name mine. However, my Optima and I have a pretty solid relationship right now.

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
                              There's a few cars I've sold that I would like to have back again. But I did that once with one of my CB's and it just wasn't the same the second time around. The memory is sometimes better than living with the car.
                              Nail on the head right there. Sometimes I think it would be fun to grab another CB and rebuild mine, but then I realize first off how difficult it would be to re-source all the parts I had, nothing particularly rare outside of my lip kit, but pricey to track down and second, my years of being without it has done a fairly good job of glossing over the bigger issues with it, water leaks, absolutely no power to speak of, scary brakes, etc, etc.

Comment

I have an eerie feeling I helped create this post.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Working...
                                X