No announcement yet.

Crankshaft's 01 GMC Sierra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just out of curiosity why didn't you go with Black Bear? Seems to be the norm on mail tunes for our trucks.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Can't beat $50 if mine was 4x4 I'd went atleast 4.11s. Done HD alternator and water pump in mine aswell what started all this I did timing chain an oil pump aswell.

I wouldn't trust black bear for anything other than a bolt on mail order unless using interface. Main reason is customer service isn't even close to atomics Richards a very knowledgeable down to earth kind of 1 on 1 person a lot of folks have been tuned by him over on performancetrucks.net. Trust me I've been in contact with a lot for email tune with interface (Basically street tune done through emails and logging) and without and black bear would be on the bottom of the list of all I talked with. Avid speed, Frost, Nelson and pcm of nc come in mind way before BB just my opinion some share it. I went with who I felt most comfortable with.
      Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018, 04:56 PM.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
        Can't beat $50 if mine was 4x4 I'd went atleast 4.11s. Done HD alternator and water pump in mine aswell what started all this I did timing chain an oil pump aswell.

I wouldn't trust black bear for anything other than a bolt on mail order unless using interface. Main reason is customer service isn't even close to atomics Richards a very knowledgeable down to earth kind of 1 on 1 person a lot of folks have been tuned by him over on performancetrucks.net. Trust me I've been in contact with a lot for email tune with interface (Basically street tune done through emails and logging) and without and black bear would be on the bottom of the list of all I talked with. Avid speed, Frost, Nelson and pcm of nc come in mind way before BB just my opinion some share it. I went with who I felt most comfortable with.
        I really wanted 4.10 not gonna lie but I kept thinking about the actual use I have for the truck, not having anything to tow on a regular basis coupled with the price I got these gears for I simply jumped at the opportunity since I'm only 2wd. What you note is a very good reason for your choice, I don't know any of them aside from seeing them mentioned on sites but customer service is where you get a feel for the quality of work the company does. Now that you mentioned the alternator I also changed mine because the light kept coming on and went with a 130 and which as you know requires a belt change as well due to length difference.The BTR Cam you mentioned is it the NSR or No Springs Required?

Comment

Yep gotta run the longer belt also changed the idler while I was at it did a lot of maintenance while I was in it. Yes I went with the nsr on 1.8 rockers it's actually a cam dynamics grind says it right on cam card, I already had the springs done from the last OE cam swap. Cam 100% needs a stall on the larger heavier truck with the 4.8/5.3. I drove the truck 1-1500k before a stall on my old rich tune and it was a dog. I've driven it maybe 20 miles since the stall (still adding things like the shorties, egr block offs and tune up jazz) and it wouldn't hook to save its own life. Blake at avid said he usually seen 40-50whp gain after nsr cam once tuned the curve feels even better than that is what he stated. I plan to turn 6300 1-2 shifts and a tad lower on 3-4 it Should make for a fun heavy pig. After I run it for awhile making sure everything is up to par after tune I'll add a bit of nitrous to it to get it moving a bit more and save for a built trans or 80le swap.

This is atomic's personal truck back when it was running a turbo setup.
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=daS6wD_hYyw
          Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018, 10:41 PM.

02 Crv
          02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
          92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

Even on BTR website it states the cam as a cam motion grind, what I find interesting is that they claim 66hp increase; I guess 66 at the flywheel Vs what you were told. I have seen lq4 blocks in the area for $300 and 5.3 cores for under 100, usual faults of these engines are; bad oil pump, oil consumption or cam/head issues. I figure if I get lucky I could throw in a low buck rebuild with the slight torque difference and a cam it would literally be a new truck.

Comment

Cam dynamics not cam motion, if I could post pictures I'd post cam card.

02 Crv

Comment

And yeah most of their cam test are done on a engine dyno. Avid is a separate shop that just does a lot of said cam installs and tune no relation between the companies as far as I know. Craig from Btr sent me his way and we chatted for awhile. He was real excited about the curve once it's tuned we shall see.

6.0 ain't a bad idea I like the lm7 myself response to mods pretty well aslong as it stays alive I'll be keeping the 5.3.
                Last edited by SOHC-FTW; 07-22-2018, 11:16 PM.

02 Crv

Comment

Cam dynamics not cam motion, if I could post pictures I'd post cam card.
                  You are absolutely right, brain fart there lol Everyone around here talks about the TSP stuff but it's so damn expensive. Here in Houston there is a massive truck community and tunners as well but I might be going the same route as you depending on your results of course ��.

Comment

Just remember its better than any of the factory lsx cams. But I'll holler tell ya what I honestly think about it hopefully by the end of the week.

02 Crv

Comment

Also there's elgin camshaft's and they run in the mid $250 range. I've heard of them used on flat tappet fellas back when I was younger but they make a few options for the LS platform aswell. Maybe worth looking into for a bump in power for your truck.

02 Crv

Comment

I was looking at the graphs on the cam and there seems to be a HUGE gain all the way up to 6500RPM when the factory cam cuts off about 55-5600. If you look at the graph though it seems the cam makes same or actually less power than the factory under 3500RPM, when you get everything done please tell me how the truck drives down low at partial open throttle as this is where my RPM stays 98% of the time now, in the past 3 months I don't remember hitting above 3k at all.

Comment

Will do hopefully soon. I went to install the lsx innovation block offs got that done. Then went to reinstall a new doorman dipstick tube piece of junk snapped off in the block, so now Ima have to figure out how to get that crap out. I am hoping that a self taping screw and taping on it will get it out. It is always something it best come out or I'll be pulling a buncha junk off to get the oil pan off oh the joy of a 4x4.

Yeah cam needs a stall hints why I went with one before the stall it was not pleasant after the stall was a much much better improvement and way easier and friendlier to drive. I went with a 3200 yank should do decent once all done.

02 Crv

Comment

Sorry bud I don't log on here much, I just seen your visitor post.

Yeah trucks coming along good had some hick ups due to shop that did the stall converter (should have done it myself just like the rest of the truck). First they didn't shim the stall right, next didn't replace a seal and poured fluid out, then the reason the fire started was the top trans cooler line popped off (didn't have the clip fully seated) coming up the driveway and trans fluid got all over the exhaust and took less than 100ft from leak to 3ft flames and smoke. Had we not got a coke beforehand she woulda burnt to the ground before I made it back from the house. All while bringing the wife back from her surgery, but has been fine after I fixed it for a few weeks now give or take.

Been tweaking on the tune since I have the HP Tuner interface and it's coming around. I've got some Long tubes on the way should help it breath. Here's a little clip of the truck with the cut out open.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCLMp...ature=youtu.be

02 Crv

Comment

Sorry bud I don't log on here much, I just seen your visitor post.

Yeah trucks coming along good had some hick ups due to shop that did the stall converter (should have done it myself just like the rest of the truck). First they didn't shim the stall right, next didn't replace a seal and poured fluid out, then the reason the fire started was the top trans cooler line popped off (didn't have the clip fully seated) coming up the driveway and trans fluid got all over the exhaust and took less than 100ft from leak to 3ft flames and smoke. Had we not got a coke beforehand she woulda burnt to the ground before I made it back from the house. All while bringing the wife back from her surgery, but has been fine after I fixed it for a few weeks now give or take.

Been tweaking on the tune since I have the HP Tuner interface and it's coming around. I've got some Long tubes on the way should help it breath. Here's a little clip of the truck with the cut out open.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCLMp...ature=youtu.be
                              Damn dude that sucks, i try and do everything that i can myself because at the end of the day NOBODY cares about your stuff the way that you would and nobody will break down other than you regardless of who's negligence it was. I am gonna try the 4.2 TB converter on mine later, supposed to be a 2400-2800 stall depeding on LS size. The cam sounds nice though. The coke part reminds me of my friend whose truck wheel caught fire because of a bearing overheating and in the moment totally forgot that we have extinguishers on all trucks and resorted to use his drink as well.

Comment

Managed to change out the upper Oxygen sensors, cabin air filters and installed a new K&N fuel filter; the first two i hadnt changed them since i bought the truck two years ago, the cabin filters and Fuel filter were overdue since last service was two years ago and i've had a good amount of bad fuel since then due to flooding in the area. I still have a front brake upgrade to do with parts off a 2010 Tahoe PPV, Transmission filter/ fluid service, rear end service/upgrade to 3.73 and front end bushing kit although according to my alignment guy the specs held for a whole year with only toe being slightly off.

Comment

Working...
                                X