Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

225/45R-17 - Can they fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

225/45R-17 - Can they fit?

First post!

Some friends and I are entered in the March LeMons race at Sears Point. We have an 86 mustang and after our first test drive last weekend we realized it has big problems. So we decided to try something different and we found an already prepped LeMons car locally.

It is a 1991 Acccord LX, we'll probably buy it this afternoon. It appears to be bone stock (except being stripped, the cage, and the race seat/belts). We had already bought wheels and tires for the 'stang. The wheels are 5 bolt so obviously we won't be using the wheels, but the tires were really expensive and I'd love to use them. They are 225/45R-17 and fit perfectly to 7x17 wheels. So now I'm scouring the local craigslist looking for 7x17s with the 4x114 bolt pattern.

What offset would I need to make it work? Will they even fit?

I'm perfectly willing to roll fenders, or make other improvised body mods.
    Last edited by ukemike; 02-21-2015, 12:24 PM.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Yes they will fit. Excuse the dirt, under construction.

225/45/17 on 17x8.5et36 or 38 I don't remember which one. I had to roll the rears and the fronts need a bit more camber. I'm at about 1 degree in the front and 1.5 in the rear. I plan on dropping it another 10 to 15 mm when it warms up
    Last edited by sonikaccord; 02-21-2015, 07:15 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

You'll definitely want to be sure to get wheels that are at least 8" wide, if not wider, for those tires. You'll experience negative handling effects if the wheel isn't wide enough, and the tire slops over the lip.

+35 to +38 offset should be decent for a wheel up to 8" wide. Possibly 8.5", though you may rub at full lock (which might matter when racing...)

One thing you could always do is go on reputable tire/wheel sites, like tirerack.com and discounttiredirect.com. Browse for wheels of various larger sizes, and see what size tire they recommend for it. It could help you get an idea of what you're looking at in terms of wheels, too!

Another option, depending on the size and offset of the Mustang wheels, is to convert to 5 lug. It can be done fairly cheaply, especially if you have decent junkyards in your area. There are a number of DIYs on this site showing how to do it using various cars. If I were to do it, I think the Odyssey method would be my choice. It likely would be no more expensive than a new set of wheels... possibly even cheaper. If it's an acceptable modification, at least...

Comment

Why not try and see if you can get the wheels re drilled to 4x114

Comment

Blitz, interesting thought, I'll consider it, but it seems unlikely to work since the wheels are 5 hole. Also since this is for racing I don't want structurally compromised wheels.

Deevergoat, the tires are currently on 17x7s and fit perfectly with the sidewalls at a nice right angle to the tread. But I'll check again in the morning, perhaps those wheels are 17x7.5 or even 8.

Sonik, I've seen many of your posts while perusing this site. Its very helpful to see them mounted. With my car not lowered I think this will work.

thanks all
          M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

I'm running 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza Re11's on my 17x7 +45 TSX wheels. I was running the same size on my 17x8 +45 TL wheels. It's my go to tire because many newer cars run that size, so tires are relatively cheap.

'93 LX Wagon (On the back burner)
            '92 EX Wagon (Traded)
            '93 EX Wagon (Current DD)

Comment

March LeMons race at Sears Point, do you mean Sears Point as in Sonoma Raceway near Sonoma, CA? I didn't know they had lemons races there. I drag race there and it would be fun to see another CB7 at the track.
              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                March LeMons race at Sears Point, do you mean Sears Point as in Sonoma Raceway near Sonoma, CA? I didn't know they had lemons races there. I drag race there and it would be fun to see another CB7 at the track.
                Well you know I never called Candlestick park by any of the corporate sponsor names and I never called Sears Point "infinion raceway". So Sonoma Raceway is just another mistake. It's Sears Point and always will be.

Anyway I found some wheels. They are Enkei wheels. 7x17 with a 38mm offset. Tedd got the tires mounted today and we put them on and they fit very nicely. Looks pretty good too. Though we have one problem. The wheels have very deep and small holes and normal lugnuts don't fit. I forgot to take a pic with them on.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/4908519102.html

The wheels are great, but there is something black spattered on them so we got them cheap.

Comment

225 might be a bit wide for a 7" wheel. I'd imagine that would result in some sloppy handling! I've only gone as wide as 215 on my 7.5" wide wheels, and I don't think I'd go any wider than that. For racing purposes, too-wide tires might end up being detrimental.

As for the lugnut problem, hit up any autoparts store for some "tuner" style lugnuts. Or if you want added safety, pick up some Gorilla Nuts. Higher quality bits. They sell for $35 or so, last i checked. They'll fit in the smaller holes.

Enkei is definitely good stuff. They actually make the OEM alloys for our cars. I have a set of Enkei RS6s in my basement right now, in fact! The cheaper stuff is cast, rather than forged... but quality stuff. Definitely good for your purposes. Those look like the J10... not lightweight wheels, sadly. About 21 lbs each.

Comment

On a 17x7 I'dstick to a 215 or a 205. I'd had some pretty sloppy handling characteristics going from a 205/50/16 to a 225/50/16 on my 16x7's. I autocross, too. I wish I would've done the 205/55/16 instead. Since you already have the 225's, just run them, but keep your eyes open for wider wheels.

'98 Prelude resto/mod thread

Comment

225's would fit but its better for something wider like 17x8 would be proper

Comment

By the way, the final answer is this:

Oh yeah, they fit.

I should explain something. LeMons racing cars are supposed to have themes, our theme is the Middle East Peace ACCORD. HA! the side you don't see is done up like the Palestinian flag.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            Yes they will fit. Excuse the dirt, under construction.

225/45/17 on 17x8.5et36 or 38 I don't remember which one. I had to roll the rears and the fronts need a bit more camber. I'm at about 1 degree in the front and 1.5 in the rear. I plan on dropping it another 10 to 15 mm when it warms up
                            what drop do you have

Comment

Working...
                            X