Somewhere to hide spare key?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhere to hide spare key?

So I've been thinking about somehow hiding a key to my car, somewhere outside of it.... AmTec's thread reminded me of that, thanks AmTec!
    Maybe in the empty space where the intake box thing used to be (passenger side inside front bumper). I just love the idea of always having a key for the car hidden, even if I lock myself out or lose my keys.

Also, how to secure a key to the car is another thing I need to figure out.

Discuss
    I'm faster then a prius

I doubt anything inside the engine compartment will be useful as you will have no access to the latch to open the hood if the car is locked. They sell magnetic key holders at just about any hardware/big store; you simply place the key inside, close it and find a place where the magnet can stick to while being out of sight.
    Usual key hiding spots are along wheel wells, inside bumpers and gas hatch.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

When I had my Accord I had a flat key made that had no black plastic head that slid inside my wallet and was reasonably flat and didn't add much weight.

That always worked well for me.

Comment

I carry my spare miata key in my wallet. Same deal, flat key. It's been there ever since I locked my keys in the car and had my wife bring it to me on her lunch break.

A spare key on you, rather than on your car, is a better idea. Thieves know where to look if they're smart.

Comment

I carried a spare in my wallet as well for a long time - not sure why I don't now.

Or you get lucky and have another Honda owner come by with a key that opens it. I came out of a JY once to a guy trying to get into his CB7; I pulled out my keys (4 or 5 different ones at the time) - first one I tried opened his door. My wife and daughter claim that the key to my 92 EX will open my 90 LX.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
              I don't get it....

But I should do this too. I've locked myself out of the car many times (dam brake pedal locks doors thing)

Magnetic key is a good idea but if it's raining out or crap weather you may getting wet crawling on the ground to reach this mystery hiding spot. But too easily accessible and thieves will find it. There isn't a lot of metal on the car either so you'll be hiding it in a wheel well, front or rear subframe? Even if you used the back of the caliper or somewhere deep that is quite the reach.

I like the wallet idea, never thought of that before.

You could also use a key lock system. Put this unit somewhere on the car and you need the code to get the key. I'm sure there are different "types". Secure it up under near the filler tube, etc.

Comment

I carried a key in my wallet when I had the CB, too. It actually saved me once.

My RSX's key is chipped though, I hate that. It's great for security (I did once get a guy back into his Integra by grinding down my old CB key on a curb, lol), but a hidden key is my only option.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Years ago, before I snapped the lip on my CB7 (never to replace it), I had the idea of hiding a key in the lip. My plan was to drill a small hole in the bottom of it somewhere, run a small bolt up through it, and attach a spare key on the inside of the lip with a small wingnut. That way, it would stay secure until I needed it. When I needed it, the wingnut could be undone with my fingers.

Comment

Actually, I just remembered my hood latch was removed for being incompatible with my aftermarket hood, so it's just on the locking hood pins... which do have a flat key! I could hide a chipped key in the bay, and my spare hood key (which is a lot smaller than a car key anyway) in my wallet. Win!

How did I not think of this already?!

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Well of course, I wouldn't put it under my hood!

I mean under the front bumper, I could cut out a small access hole out of the thin plastic wheel-well thing, and attach something... Putting it a locking box is a great idea. I'm sure I can find somewhere cool to hide it...

While putting one in your wallet is a good idea, I usually leave my wallet in my glovebox. So if I don't have my wallet out of the car, I'm still screwed.
                      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        Actually, I just remembered my hood latch was removed for being incompatible with my aftermarket hood, so it's just on the locking hood pins... which do have a flat key! I could hide a chipped key in the bay, and my spare hood key (which is a lot smaller than a car key anyway) in my wallet. Win!

How did I not think of this already?!
                        Smart!
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

If I were you I would hide it under the car but past your splash guard and cover the splash guard right back up. It should be smaller than a h.i.d ballast

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                            If I were you I would hide it under the car but past your splash guard and cover the splash guard right back up. It should be smaller than a h.i.d ballast
                            Ya, you can technically reach your arm in behind the bumper / from in front of one of the tires. There's a tray there too. My HID ballast are in there bolted to the metal part. That would be a sweet spot. Put one of those key lock things in there. On an angle only you know which way is up. Punch in the 3 digits to get the price key!

Comment

In your wife's purse.

Comment

Working...
                              X