Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Recutting a Honda of America key to use my key shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recutting a Honda of America key to use my key shape

Been considering buying a set of HOA keys. I want to actually use the keys for my car but not sure where to look because they're already cut. Is there a way to make an old key and insert a blank?

I'm not sure it would be possible to remove the molded rubber from the old key without damaging it. If there's any way to do it, you'd probably have to get creative. You MIGHT get lucky and find some uncut ones somewhere... but that might be difficult.

You could always try some previously cut ones. Apparently as these cars get older, the lock mechanisms get a little screwy. People have been trying each others' keys on their CB7s since this site began in 2003, and they were even having success back then! It's possible you'll get lucky and find a JDM key that actually works in your car. It's not a guarantee, but it's a possibility.

Comment

If you find a set of keys, you could have your cylinders matched to the keys.

Getting lucky: I met some guys at a local salvage yard who had locked their keys in their CB7, first key on my ring opened their door.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

if you go to a real jeweler or somewhere that makes jewelry, they usually have these micro tig machines and small fine saws, I dont think itd be much to lop of the keyed part of the hoa and silicon bronze tig a new section of blank on.. since its tig and they use tiny machines heat shouldnt be a problem

or the diy alternative would be cut off the minimum needed from the hoa key, grind small bevels on the key and new piece and silver solder it, and sand it back down for a clean splice. if theres enough of the hoa shank you can clip something to it thats metal and wrap the handle part with a wet towel and that should sink enough heat away not to damage the plastic, maybe even diy with a hobbyist tig machine.

looking at my keys you have a lot of room to work with

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I'm not sure it would be possible to remove the molded rubber from the old key without damaging it. You MIGHT get lucky and find some uncut ones somewhere... but that might be difficult.

It's possible you'll get lucky and find a JDM key that actually works in your car. It's not a guarantee, but it's a possibility.
          That's what I was thinking too was if I tried to get it out the molding would get messed up, Good to know/kinda bothersome that other CB7 keys work on our cars lol. My brother was a diesel tech for International and they all use the same key.

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          If you find a set of keys, you could have your cylinders matched to the keys.
          Any idea off the top of your head the cost that would be? Probably better looking at the option below of hard soldering a blank shank to the fob of the HOA key. but if i want the original key and everything without mod this may be a good idea.

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
          ...The diy alternative would be cut off the minimum needed from the hoa key, grind small bevels on the key and new piece and silver solder it, and sand it back down for a clean splice. if theres enough of the hoa shank you can clip something to it thats metal and wrap the handle part with a wet towel and that should sink enough heat away not to damage the plastic, maybe even diy with a hobbyist tig machine.
          This is probably the best way that I could think of doing it. Hard soldering the two wouldnt be too hard. only worry would be the joint giving and having the key stuck in the ignition.

Comment

Buy blanks and hire a locksmith to match it to your current cylinders. Most mobile locksmiths can do that for like $50.

Comment

The unavailability of HOA blanks is the issue, I believe.

Comment

one slight possibility is making sure you order keys where the cuts aren't deep enough to interfere with what YOUR car uses. Like depending on where the cuts/valleys are, you might be able to still use it to cut it further to match your own key.

Alternative would be to have a locksmith re-pin your cylinders to match the key. I assume this would be pretty expensive to do the whole car though. They need to disassemble the cylinders and rearrange the wafer pins inside. Not necessarily difficult, just tedious and you need to be very careful.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  The unavailability of HOA blanks is the issue, I believe.
                  Exactly, I found one set of blanks but they wanted $99 for one key. nah... better things I can spend that money on. Is it worth it, idk if i'd say that but they are cool.

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  one slight possibility is making sure you order keys where the cuts aren't deep enough to interfere with what YOUR car uses. Like depending on where the cuts/valleys are, you might be able to still use it to cut it further to match your own key.

Alternative would be to have a locksmith re-pin your cylinders to match the key. I assume this would be pretty expensive to do the whole car though. They need to disassemble the cylinders and rearrange the wafer pins inside. Not necessarily difficult, just tedious and you need to be very careful.
                  I thought about that but looking at a pic of the keys before buying would be kind of hard to match the ups and downs of the key code. Repinning would be awfully expensive. but would definitely be an option, just not until my budget allows for it if I wanted to go that route.

Comment

I gotcha. I think it's possible to adjust tumblers to use different keys. This sounds expensive no matter how you do it.

Edit: What Mike said..

Comment

Silver bearing solder is really strong, Id say as strong as brazing with bronze. When making whiskey stills a bung gets silver soldered to the stainless vessel and theyve never let loose. I get what youre saying though from shear forces but i think the brass will bend before the silver breaks away, as long as you use flux shouldnt be any longevity issues.

Comment

Silver bearing solder is really strong, Id say as strong as brazing with bronze. When making whiskey stills a bung gets silver soldered to the stainless vessel and they've never let loose. I get what you're saying though from shear forces but i think the brass will bend before the silver breaks away, as long as you use flux shouldn't be any longevity issues.
                        From the research I've done on silver solder, what you're saying is correct. I think that going about it that way would yield pretty good results. i thought about the sheer break of turning the key, and I don't think that it would be an issue. If I do it that way ill probably do it with a set of spare keys and use them for a while before I go and cut up one of the HOA keys. I have a genuine Honda key right now that I got cut at the dealer (I have homies from when I used to sell them ) so Ill just get a copy made and use that as a test to see how the silver holds. Like I said though, I doubt it will be an issue because of the strength of silver soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by Incredibr0 View Post
                          From the research I've done on silver solder, what you're saying is correct. I think that going about it that way would yield pretty good results. i thought about the sheer break of turning the key, and I don't think that it would be an issue. If I do it that way ill probably do it with a set of spare keys and use them for a while before I go and cut up one of the HOA keys. I have a genuine Honda key right now that I got cut at the dealer (I have homies from when I used to sell them ) so Ill just get a copy made and use that as a test to see how the silver holds. Like I said though, I doubt it will be an issue because of the strength of silver soldering.
                          Awesome, do take some pics, Id be interested in seeing how the project works out. Then when youre done you could diy copper plate the whole thing very easily and hide the splice nickle would cost a little bit, but you gotta base plate with copper anyway

Comment

Ebay is your best bet. I've found new blank HOA keys on there before

Comment

Awesome, do take some pics, Id be interested in seeing how the project works out. Then when youre done you could diy copper plate the whole thing very easily and hide the splice nickle would cost a little bit, but you gotta base plate with copper anyway
                              Definitely, could be a good DIY thread

Originally posted by P_Sean View Post
                              Ebay is your best bet. I've found new blank HOA keys on there before
                              I saw one on there the other day but paying $100 for a blank is not the business. If I can find one less than like $50 then maybe I'd do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X