Bad experience with my auto parts store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad experience with my auto parts store

So I decided to go to the parts store my dad has been going to for years, I wanted to get the necessary parts for the Rotor-Over-Hub swap so that brakes wouldn't be such a pain to change myself.

The man sitting at the desk is a real estate agent, and he knows next to nothing about cars. I told him which parts I need, I showed him a picture on my phone, and why I need them, to clear up why I need acura CL parts for an ol' Honder. He seemingly understood my very specific request and ordered the hubs.

I came in the next day, he pulled out two oddly small boxes from under a desk, and said "That'll be $200"
    I opened the box and it was just a wheel bearing. I politely told him this is not what I wanted. He told me to talk to his boss.

His boss came out and I explained what I wanted, I explained even more carefully this time. He said he has to place a special order for the hubs and I will have to pay a few bucks in advance, He said if it ends up being the wrong part he will refund it. I figured, no problem then, and I gave him an $80 deposit.

5 weeks later and ONE of the hubs arrive, I opened the box and it was a hub for a normal CB7. Not the acura CL hub. He then told me that switching parts between makes and models is stupid and I'm stupid for attempting something that's never been done before. I told him to search it up. He refused. My dad was with me and the shop owner called us both idiots for buying such an old car and expecting to find an easy way out of normal service. "stop being lazy and do it the way it was meant to be done".

I asked him why he ordered this after I told him specifically what I wanted and why I wanted. When I initially told him, he told me he understood what I needed it for.

He just kept on saying "This is not the wrong part, your car is a 93 accord and this part is for a 93 accord, dont accuse us of ordering the part because you're too retarded to understand what parts you can and can't use in your car"

He wouldn't give the deposit back because "Nobody else is going to buy it and it's going to sit on the shelf for ages" and because "I said you can have the deposit back if we ordered the wrong part, this is the correct part for your car, so we delivered on our promise"

Eventually after a lot of arguing I gave up and just sent my car in for a brake job, Its too cold out to try to do captive rotors myself. I'm obviously not going to go back to that store. The store is actually in the same building as my dad's woodshop, so I often have to pass by and give dirty looks to the parts guy through the window.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Wow, that sounds even worse than your standard parts store fare...

Though, the captive rotor brake job really isn't that hard. Just need 4 long bolts the same thread as the wheel bearing retaining bolts. Using a hammer, you can drive the hub/bearing assembly out of the knuckle, slip the rotor off, put the new one on, and draw the assembly back in with the factory bolts
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Parts counter people shouldn't need a back story. Just tell them what part numbers you need and leave out the details. They can go on assuming that you've got a CL or are working on multiple cars. Why is a real estate agent working at a parts store anyway?

Did you eventually get your money back, though? That's a lot to just throw away.
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 11-16-2017, 11:46 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I'd say a solid 95% of us wouldn't take that shit from a parts guy or parts guy manager.
        YES I know they like to know what vehicle they are ordering it from... I get asked that all the time, but all they need is a part number, not a story as to what you are planning on doing with it.

Go talk to the dickhead and get your money back (or the correct part).
        Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

This is why I now use credit cards for 98% of all of my transactions. You can call them and process a chargeback on the situation.

I'm a huge car guy and I despise almost every aspect of dealing with people with vehicles. (the car buying process, maintaining a vehicle at a dealer, buying off the shelf parts such as tires and whatnot, interacting with people at car shows, etc). I don't get why it's always so shady and you bang your head against a wall.

I feel for you, but you can only look at it that this guy is living in a small world and felt the need to exert his will over someone and you got the unlucky end. If his world is so rough that he needs it to feel big, so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            Parts counter people shouldn't need a back story. Just tell them what part numbers you need and leave out the details. They can go on assuming that you've got a CL or are working on multiple cars. Why is a real estate agent working at a parts store anyway?

Did you eventually get your money back, though? That's a lot to just throw away.
            Funny thing is, they asked specifically for the backstory so they could "order the right part"
            see the part number wasn't enough, they wanted me to bring the old part and show them, but I dont have a CL hub to show

No I never got the money back
            Last edited by AmTeC; 11-17-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I argued for hours and hours. My dad came in and argued too. No dice, these guys are stubborn as all hell. I just cut my losses and I buy parts from Partsource from now on, Its a bit more expensive, but since partsource is a canadiantire division, they have to abide by proper customer satisfaction rules, so I won't be called an idiot there
              Last edited by AmTeC; 11-17-2017, 12:38 AM.

Comment

This is why I order online...

Comment

Same I order most of my stuff online, other than OEM Honda parts. My Honda dealer will price match stuff on Rockauto.com and other Honda dealers. But then again my Honda guy doesn't ask questions and just orders what I tell them I need. No backstory required, he knows that my Accord is an entire mismatch of Honda/Acura parts, and that magically things can work together... Sorry for the bad experience you've had on this one.
                  MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I think I'd go ahead and get the CB7 hub, someone will eventually need it and maybe you can recover more of the total cost and be out less than $80.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

My Accord had Legend, RL, Nissan, Prelude, Odyssey, Integra parts on it. 90% of the time, I told the parts guy the car that I needed the parts from, not the car that they were going on to.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                        My Accord had Legend, RL, Nissan, Prelude, Odyssey, Integra parts on it. 90% of the time, I told the parts guy the car that I needed the parts from, not the car that they were going on to.
                        They wanted me to bring the original part because a part number wasn't enough for some reason. I dont have the original part so I gave some backstory.

Comment

Wow...so coming from being a store manager of a auto parts store my self I can definitely tell you that these people should not be in retail anything let alone something out of there current profession. I do have quite a few regular people come in just for me because of my knowledge for cars and a big grasp of the component functions and what not it's a huge part of what makes my store a go to store for the back yard mechanic. I forgot who said this quote but Knowledge is everything.

my new turbo build

Comment

You can also get them off a 01-03 Acura CL or TL if you want to go directly to a 5 lug setup. They're a lot bigger at 11.8" vs. 10.2" so you'll need a 16" wheel minimum. I think I paid $175 for everything in the JY.

-01-03 Acura CL/TL front knuckle and caliper
                            -97-01 Prelude rear hub/bearing
                            -98-02 Accord V6 Rear Rotor

Everything bolts up and I had no issues

How I got them off in the JY lol

Last edited by Losiracer2; 11-18-2017, 07:45 PM.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

What Kai said. Also mapgas torches come in very handy especially for cold weather.
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                              X