Rear lower control arm question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear lower control arm question?

I am replacing the rear control arms on left side. Upon taking out the one farthermost to rear of car i noticed a little metal sleeve on the bushing sticking out about a centimeter that makes it fit nice and snug into knuckle. My replacement mevotech part has no such sleeve sticking out on bushing and no such spot in the bushing for a sleeve to be inserted. Does this matter anyone think? so if i install the new mevotech arm the bushing will just have to lay flush against knuckle. Anyone thinks this will matter?

It won't affect anything. It's just to allow the arm to stay in place on the knuckle so that the long bolt can be installed. Once that bolt is through, that locator sleeve isn't doing anything anymore.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      It won't affect anything. It's just to allow the arm to stay in place on the knuckle so that the long bolt can be installed. Once that bolt is through, that locator sleeve isn't doing anything anymore.
      yeah just learned that trying to put the mevotech arms on with no sleeve. PITFA. Something so simple took me hours. Next side will be easier. I understand the bolt cam lobes now on forward lower control arm. Both lobes face same way so it can move back and forth while lobes push and pull against teh sides of that slot it is in. Good shit to know. Now i know how to change my rear toe. Next is right side.
      Last edited by zedjr10; 09-23-2019, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
        I understand the cam lobes now on forward lower control arm. Both lobes face same way so it can move back and forth while lobes push and pull against teh sides of that slot it is in. Good shit to know. Now i know how to change my rear camber. Next is right side.
        That adjustment is for rear toe, it moves the forward end of the bottom of the knuckle relative to the rear; it has little or no affect on camber. Only way to change camber is to install an adjustable upper arm. Camber can be increased in the positive direction by installing shims (washers) between the inner end of the upper arm and the body.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          That adjustment is for rear toe, it moves the forward end of the bottom of the knuckle relative to the rear; it has little or no affect on camber. Only way to change camber is to install an adjustable upper arm. Camber can be increased in the positive direction by installing shims (washers) between the inner end of the upper arm and the body.
          sorry misspoke. Thanks for correcting that. Am doing other side today. Now that i understand it i don't think i will be taking 6 to 8 hours to do a seemingly simple job. I almost installed the forward one with lobes opposing each other. Am glad i took the time to understand this stuff.

Comment

I would start off with them centered, then get an alignment when everything is back together.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

String alignment is a pretty easy way to DIY alignment.

I did it right before taking it to my buddy's shop & I was
              very close to where it should be.
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                I would start off with them centered, then get an alignment when everything is back together.
                so my spec chart sais rear toe can be between 0.00 to 0.20. What is the ideal toe settings? I never thought a little rear toe would affect driving but i can see the difference after replacing these rear lower control arms. My toe before was left 0.00 and right was 0.20. I am going to adjust it myself at the alignment shop and wanted to know the best settings which i am sort of assuming it is 0.10 but i am also wondering if the spec is suppose to be negative toe also like -0.20 which it doesn't show.

Comment

Per Honda Dealership:

Rear Camber Specified Range: -1.0 0.0

Rear Toe Specified Range: 0.00 0.16

Total Toe Specified Range: 0.00 0.32
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by zedjr10 View Post
                    so my spec chart sais rear toe can be between 0.00 to 0.20. What is the ideal toe settings? I never thought a little rear toe would affect driving but i can see the difference after replacing these rear lower control arms. My toe before was left 0.00 and right was 0.20. I am going to adjust it myself at the alignment shop and wanted to know the best settings which i am sort of assuming it is 0.10 but i am also wondering if the spec is suppose to be negative toe also like -0.20 which it doesn't show.
                    Nope because you want the rear toed out more than in if anything for stability so toe should not be negative numbers.
                    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                    X