Vintage/Classic/Muscle car thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage/Classic/Muscle car thread

Any owners of classic cars on here? Muscle cars or anything vintage? I have ALWAYS been a classic car guy with a fairly good luck on finding amazing deals at the worst possible financial moments. Cars that i had to skip out on in the past for lack of funds where; 74 Ford Gran Torino(2 owners $300), 72 Chevy Chevelle(questionable 454 swap $1500),67 Plymouth Barracuda (6 cylinder car $1700),72 Dodge Demon(unknown engine but title $300, 68 Dodge Coronet(More door 440 $300) and just last week a 65 Ford Fairlane 500 ($500 with a title). My Accord holds alot of memories that i do not want to let go of but its hard to fight off the bug everytime i fing one of this animals, i just pointed a co-worker in the direction of a very good condition 73 Olds Omega which is priced at 3k with a missing grille. I know most of us here are old timers now 30 plus so what do you guys got? what did you guys have?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

When I was 19, I bought a 75 Grand Am. Never got to drive it, sadly, other than the time I drove it home. I knew nothing about cars at the time, so I don’t know what engine it had.

I bought it for $1000. Well, $500 up front, and $500 when the seller found the title. He never did. His house got foreclosed. He disappeared. A few months later, so did my car. And my $500. I was a naive kid.

Comment

When I was a kid my dad owned a 1965 fastback. The only major thing wrong with it was the paint. We got into some financial issues and he had to sell it for $1000 to keep the lights n. I still remember the day he sold it to a neighbor who painted the car a candy purple and gave it to his 16 year old grand daughter for her birthday. Needless to say it was probably mistreated and totaled. My dream car is a 32 tri window coupe or a 57 bel air. I’ve been looking but I just don’t have time to do that kind of restoration nor do I have the funding.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        When I was 19, I bought a 75 Grand Am. Never got to drive it, sadly, other than the time I drove it home. I knew nothing about cars at the time, so I don’t know what engine it had.

I bought it for $1000. Well, $500 up front, and $500 when the seller found the title. He never did. His house got foreclosed. He disappeared. A few months later, so did my car. And my $500. I was a naive kid.
        Sorry to hear that man, those cars had the 400ci engine as the base powerplant withi believe the 455 as the top option. Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick are considerably pricier to fix than older Chevy models and parts are less common too which is why there are so many of those around with Chevy 350's in them. Titlying a car will be a bit harder in Texas now because the state finally got tired of folks getting titles for non running cars or shells so they are now requiring car has to have a motor and in some occasions safety inspection carried out before car title is issued. Now the title must be registered as the year the frame or shell was made depending on which is newer; meaning a 1952 shell on a 1996 S10 frame will be titled as a 1996.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          When I was a kid my dad owned a 1965 fastback. The only major thing wrong with it was the paint. We got into some financial issues and he had to sell it for $1000 to keep the lights n. I still remember the day he sold it to a neighbor who painted the car a candy purple and gave it to his 16 year old grand daughter for her birthday. Needless to say it was probably mistreated and totaled. My dream car is a 32 tri window coupe or a 57 bel air. I’ve been looking but I just don’t have time to do that kind of restoration nor do I have the funding.
          65 Fastback what? You can buy the car and work on it slowly over time, money spent will be the same but you can generally fund it cutting back on weekly personal expenses such as beer or cigarretes if you have those tastes. Personally i found out that i was spending $3 a day on coffee which amounts to $780 dollars a year given i only consume during the week and not on weekends. A customer of mine has a 32 ford, black with a SBC on it running Hoosier slicks, those things are not as expensive to build since there is really no interior and you dont actually replace the panels.

Comment

my money pit, started with a 396 and th400, stripped it down to a bare body and now its sitting on a roadster shop chassis.
            Building a 427 Dart LS solid roller with twin turbskies.

I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              my money pit, started with a 396 and th400, stripped it down to a bare body and now its sitting on a roadster shop chassis.
              Building a 427 Dart LS solid roller with twin turbskies.

Those 396 are damn good engines, i guess that is where all your those parts are going to huh? I will say that i would rather have a car turn into a money pit than for it to go thru my liver or lungs. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do im sure that they would rather remember you as the guy working on cars than smoking, drinking or even worse; i come from an alcoholic family so believe me when i tell you that.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                65 Fastback what? You can buy the car and work on it slowly over time, money spent will be the same but you can generally fund it cutting back on weekly personal expenses such as beer or cigarretes if you have those tastes. Personally i found out that i was spending $3 a day on coffee which amounts to $780 dollars a year given i only consume during the week and not on weekends. A customer of mine has a 32 ford, black with a SBC on it running Hoosier slicks, those things are not as expensive to build since there is really no interior and you dont actually replace the panels.
                Mustang. The hardest part about the 32 Ford is finding a body in decent condition. The problem isn’t cutting back on things like that. It’s convincing my wife. She is not into classic cars by any means. She doesn’t care for the accord but she understands why I pour money into it.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                  Mustang. The hardest part about the 32 Ford is finding a body in decent condition. The problem isn’t cutting back on things like that. It’s convincing my wife. She is not into classic cars by any means. She doesn’t care for the accord but she understands why I pour money into it.
                  I dont smoke, I dont drink and I dont run around with women; would you rather have me here fooling around with my hobbies or out somewhere else. That is what i used to tell my parents as a teenager and my wife now that i am married. Humans need to have something they like doing to escape the world we live in, when you get involved in something you do; you shut out everything that is detrimental to your being for that time. I seriously believe that if people found a hobby that they were passionate about such as cars, we would not have all this nonsense we have now. God knows i got too much sh*t to do and not enough time or money to be thinking of doing anything foolish. Plus kids learn a positive image seeing the parents doing something productive and might even get involved, giving them some type of experience. My wife likes old cars, muscle cars specially; she wasn't like this but the camaro i had changed her mind.

Comment

I bought a 1965 Cadillac DeVille convertible in 1982 for $600. Put it in a friend's basement garage to work on it; bought a second parts car for $300. Friend starts a fire working on his car - his car, my car, and his house all go up in smoke. Sold parts car. Bought 1963 Thunderbird convertible for $800; week later had to pass on a 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertible (should have sold the Tbird and bought this). Complete disassembly of the Tbird revealed it to be a basket case (I was naive). Bought 1969 Olds 98 (455 Rocket) from my father; eventually totaled it. Sold the Tbird in parts to a guy who hauled it all the way to Tulsa, OK. Wound up working on my dad's 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for him, but got bogged down with having children, then first wife's leukemia and passing, remarried, more kids. He eventually sent me the title and I hung on to it for a while, but couldn't justify the work/$ it needed, so it was sold. My current wife owned Ruby, so that's when I switched from "classics" to Accords. I would still like to have a big old convertible.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

67 firebird, 455 HO swap

Its been in storage for almost 30 years. 38k on the clock. Inherrited from my pops. Car needs a thorough rebuild. No rust, but, as i mentioned has sat in non climate controlled midwest garage forever.

Some day when im ready, itll be fun.
                      Originally posted by wed3k
                      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                        67 firebird, 455 HO swap

Its been in storage for almost 30 years. 38k on the clock. Inherrited from my pops. Car needs a thorough rebuild. No rust, but, as i mentioned has sat in non climate controlled midwest garage forever.

Some day when im ready, itll be fun.
                        That kind of reminds me of The Fast and Furious, all that torque is scary but once you give in to it you will never go back!

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          I bought a 1965 Cadillac DeVille convertible in 1982 for $600. Put it in a friend's basement garage to work on it; bought a second parts car for $300. Friend starts a fire working on his car - his car, my car, and his house all go up in smoke. Sold parts car. Bought 1963 Thunderbird convertible for $800; week later had to pass on a 1966 Cadillac DeVille convertible (should have sold the Tbird and bought this). Complete disassembly of the Tbird revealed it to be a basket case (I was naive). Bought 1969 Olds 98 (455 Rocket) from my father; eventually totaled it. Sold the Tbird in parts to a guy who hauled it all the way to Tulsa, OK. Wound up working on my dad's 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham for him, but got bogged down with having children, then first wife's leukemia and passing, remarried, more kids. He eventually sent me the title and I hung on to it for a while, but couldn't justify the work/$ it needed, so it was sold. My current wife owned Ruby, so that's when I switched from "classics" to Accords. I would still like to have a big old convertible.
                          Some years back in the JY my dad's buddy owned there was oneof those big boats with the Cadillac 500ci engine; i opened the hood just to check if it was there and closed it back up. A "Luxury" car that i would not mind owning would be a 1st gen Buick Riviera with the clam shell headlights, damn Patrick Swaize and Roadhouse!

Comment

If I remember correctly, all the Caddies would have had a 429. The Tbird had a 390. My mom had a 1975 Eldorado with the 500.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                              Those 396 are damn good engines, i guess that is where all your those parts are going to huh? I will say that i would rather have a car turn into a money pit than for it to go thru my liver or lungs. I don't know if you have kids, but if you do im sure that they would rather remember you as the guy working on cars than smoking, drinking or even worse; i come from an alcoholic family so believe me when i tell you that.
                              no kids, dont plan on having any at the moment. my cars are my kids.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X