Who else is a military vet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
    I think I'm a fairly tough, competitive guy, but I knew infrantry wasn't for me. I likened it to being a pro athlete. Being a grunt, the chances of you having some life altering injury during your time are so high, and then the government's done with you...except you're getting paid chicken feed for your risk instead of millions of dollars.

So glad I was a computer guy in the Marine Corps. Very few comm units and lots of them get attached to grunts. Luckily I got stationed in San Diego for 3.5 years and had a blast. It was like being a civilian. We worked 8-4:30, with some early morning PT sessions thrown in for good measure. People say that base was lax, and with good reason. Something about that place just mellows you out, and 0500 PT runs just don't sound that appealing anymore.
    and just think, you had first pick of crayons, the grunts get stuck with black or blue when they are in the field.

Comment

I don't get it.
      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

I don't get it.
        it's a joke about marines being crayon eaters (like window lickers) basically it's inter-service bickering between service. Just like we joke about airforce being "chairforce" or Army "Ain't Ready to be Marines Yet".

Comment

Or Marine. My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I think I'm a fairly tough, competitive guy, but I knew infrantry wasn't for me. I likened it to being a pro athlete. Being a grunt, the chances of you having some life altering injury during your time are so high, and then the government's done with you...except you're getting paid chicken feed for your risk instead of millions of dollars.

So glad I was a computer guy in the Marine Corps. Very few comm units and lots of them get attached to grunts. Luckily I got stationed in San Diego for 3.5 years and had a blast. It was like being a civilian. We worked 8-4:30, with some early morning PT sessions thrown in for good measure. People say that base was lax, and with good reason. Something about that place just mellows you out, and 0500 PT runs just don't sound that appealing anymore.
            Yeah when I was in I thought I was pretty hot shit. I mean we are taught from day 1 that we are better then everyone and that everyone else is a POG lol. We thought we were hardcore.

Now I don't care as much lol I look back and wish I joined the air force or some pog job that could have taught me real skills.

Comment

So I have a new topic of discussion for my fellow vets (and those who are not feel free to chime in also). What are your thoughts on "stolen valor"?

Personally I believe that it should not fall under the 1st amendment as it is not really conveying speech an opinion so much as it is a tool for those that do it to garner financial and or social status. Barring the cases where a mentally ill person is wearing a uniform as part of their fantasy land I think it should be illegal.

As I have seen cases in real life and a myriad of them online I can reasonably assess that MOST people who actively identify as veterans by wearing a service uniform in public are doing so to gain something for themselves, be it a discount or admiration from the public.

I don't get caught up in the "my brothers died wearing that uniform" frenzy but I have had brothers die in uniform and I understand it may anger some. What gets me a little ticked is that most of the people I know and served with do not use their status as a discount card or even as a reference on job applications( aside from those that are getting into the same field as they were in the military),we are humble for the most part. I see that those who fake service are out and about usually trying to obtain benefits and courtesies extended to veterans for their own gain and this to me makes us look like beggers.

There are already enough people on street corners holding signs panhandling for change, I hate seeing what look to be healthy well dressed people claiming to be vets doing the same. I read somewhere that like over a million people claiming to be Vietnam vets never even served let alone during the Vietnam era and I'm starting to see this now with the younger generation.

Anyways, I'm curious as to ya'lls thoughts but please lets keep the conversation civil.

Comment

U.S. Air Force - 2W0X1 - Munitions System Technician

Jul 2010-May 2013 Little Rock AFB - Storage, Conventional, Line Delivery, Inspection

May 2013-May 2014 Osan AB, ROK - "the Chukes never loved us Tour" - Storage, Storage dispatch, PGM/Line delivery(AIM-120's)

May 2014-Apr 2018 Kirtland AFB - Storage, Inspection, Conventional, Line Delivery, Control

Apr 2018-Pres. Kirtland AFB - NM Air National Guard, Munitions Systems Inspector

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!

Comment

No service for me, but I do feel it’s shameful to wear the uniform if you haven’t served. Regardless of personal opinion, I think there are two important facts: 1) receiving anything of monetary value due to a false claim of service is theft. 2) The uniform is government-issue. Wearing it without it actually having been issued officially should be akin to impersonating a police officer.

My dad was in the national guard during the tail end of Vietnam. He wasn’t shy about admitting to joining so he didn’t get drafted for combat duty. Even so, he was nearly deployed anyway. He never saw combat. Never left American soil. He was still technically a Vietnam war veteran. He never claimed to be such, though. Never sought any benefits. Never once wore any part of a uniform in my presence.

Edit: the following posts show why it’s never a good idea to resurrect an old thread for a new discussion...

Comment

US Army 19D - Calvary Scout - 5 years

1st Cav out of Fort Hood, TX

Oct '07-Jan '08 FOB Rustamiyah, Baghdad
                    Jan '10-Dec '10 Balad, North Baghdad

118 ASVAB - too stupid not to do combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                      U.S. Navy here

Been in almost 9 years, picked up E-6 back in November of last year.

Current job is C-130T Flight Engineer. I sit behind the pilots and manage the plane while they fly. Though they are ultimately in charge of the plane, I am the one who tells them it's good to go and know every nook and cranny about the plane. I also smack them on the back of the head if they mess something up.

Before this I was a Flight Engineer on the P-3C Orion, loved this job as well. Pretty much did the same thing on that plane as I do now. Only difference is the mission, in P-3s we chased drug runners, performed recon, and search and rescue. Now we transport cargo and "essential" personnel to "essential" places.

I've deployed all over the world,

OEF 2012/2013 with P-3

I'm putting my officer package in around December hoping to be a NFO on F-18, but we shall see.

I have a thread in media section that i need to update.
                      Totally forgot this thread. So I put my package in back in December. I got picked up on the January board for NFO and went to Officer Candidate School in New Port Rhode Island Mar-Jun 18.

I am now a commissioned Officer and am currently in Pensacola going through flight school. My dream is to still be an NFO in an F-18. Hopefully I can keep my scores up and get that dream job.
                      Last edited by Grumpys93; 10-19-2018, 10:20 AM.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Congratulations on getting into flight school! Getting into flight school is an accomplishment in and of itself. I live in the area and used to work at NASP and NAS Whiting Field, so worked a lot with flight students. It can be tough at times, so ask for help if/when needed. Hope you get to enjoy yourself while you're here, too. While it's unusually hot for this time of year, it's still the most beautiful time of the year for us.

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                        Totally forgot this thread. So I put my package in back in December. I got picked up on the January board for NFO and went to Officer Candidate School in New Port Rhode Island Mar-Jun 18.

I am not a commissioned Officer and am currently in Pensacola going through flight school. My dream is to still be an NFO in an F-18. Hopefully I can keep my scores up and get that dream job.

Comment

I didnt but I wanted to in the worse way out of highschool but my mother stopped me.

Thank you guys for your service.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                          X