Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would attract some extra attention doing it, but I as far as being legal it depends on where you live probably. Around here I know that you don't need a hood to drive around, but I'm not sure about bumpers. I've driven mine around some without a front bumper some because I haven't gotten it put on yet, and I haven't had any trouble. I wouldn't really recommend doing it because they are a bitch to get off, and they really don't weigh that much either.

Comment

You would attract some extra attention doing it, but I as far as being legal it depends on where you live probably. Around here I know that you don't need a hood to drive around, but I'm not sure about bumpers. I've driven mine around some without a front bumper some because I haven't gotten it put on yet, and I haven't had any trouble. I wouldn't really recommend doing it because they are a bitch to get off, and they really don't weigh that much either.

I would say the front and rear bumpers are only 5-10 lbs a piece, and each fender is about 5 lbs also.

Comment

my stock flywheel - 15lbs
        -
        f1 racing flywheel - 12.5lbs
        =
        2.5lbs

Comment

yea i have noticed alot of cars with no hood roamin around the races i guess it makes them faster...but id rather have a cf hood hahahaha

AzN VtEc PoWeR: i need to find something to do on my b-day
          nFiniTeSkiLz: yea
          nFiniTeSkiLz: go find some friends
          nFiniTeSkiLz: lol
          AzN VtEc PoWeR: i already went on craigslist and got some hoes
          AzN VtEc PoWeR: just like maple
          AzN VtEc PoWeR: hahahaha i keed
          nFiniTeSkiLz: um hum im sure...

Comment

You also have to take into consideration aerodynamics. If you take your bumpers and hood off, you may shave off some weight, but any advantage gained would be negated by the addition of drag. Carbon fiber or lightweight fiberglass are the best options there.

Comment

Deev is right about that for sure. I must say with the front bumper off it's not very aerodynamic at all. It's really noticeable at higher speeds.

Comment

ya we are talking 100+ mph? thats when aerodynamics come into play approx
                1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

Not really... they come into play a lot sooner than that. Around 60-70 is when they really start to matter so even on a stock car it will have a negative impact on your trap speeds when running a quarter. Like on some of Porches with the moveable wings they automatically go up at 70 mph on most of them I think.

Comment

The wing on the Chrysler Crossfire goes up at 55.

And aerodynamics as far as wings and bodykits go is a totally different thing. Cars are already fairly aerodynamic for a number of reasons. When you remove the bumper and other things, you're dramatically reducing the stock aerodynamics. Ever put your hand out the window at 40mph? Try to hold it with the palm facing forward, then tilt it slightly. Imagine that as the difference between having a bumper and not having a bumper. With a flat front, you're not cutting the wind, you're pushing it.

Comment

yes i see you got a point hmm is it possible to take off just the reinforcement bars behind the bumper? would covering up the front holes in the bumper be a good idea for aerodynamics, i saw it covered on kentucky's pics, we are gettin into aerodynamics now not weight reduction, perhaps another thread should be started?

also a quick question on a side note, would routing the STOCK airbox into the headlight make any difference? im talking no headlight and air flowing into the box freely, faster you go more air, just wondering if this would make any diff with stock filter/box.

good thread
                      1991 Accord LX Coupe - Boosted F22 - 5spd LSD - Shaved Bay - Work VSXX - Recaro SRD

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout

Comment

How much does a CB7 weight. Mine says 3800.
                        www.myspace.com/sajunglist

www.bassdrive.com

Comment

Originally posted by aleks77
                          yes i see you got a point hmm is it possible to take off just the reinforcement bars behind the bumper? would covering up the front holes in the bumper be a good idea for aerodynamics, i saw it covered on kentucky's pics, we are gettin into aerodynamics now not weight reduction, perhaps another thread should be started?

also a quick question on a side note, would routing the STOCK airbox into the headlight make any difference? im talking no headlight and air flowing into the box freely, faster you go more air, just wondering if this would make any diff with stock filter/box.

good thread
                          I'd have to look at the mounting of the bumpers, but I'm pretty sure the heavy reinforcement can come off, leaving just the plastic covers. It's not exactly safe, but if you're willing to take the risk, then yes, I'm sure it can be done.

As for taking the headlight out and creating a ram-air style intake using the stock airbox... Honestly, I don't think it will do much good. The stock intake tubing is so restrictive that you're better off with a good cold air intake, or just a filter on the stock tubing. With the stock airbox, any ram air effect would be negated by the horrible turbulance created. It's an interesting concept, but I don't think it would do much at all. You'd be better off with a heat-shielded short ram routed to a hood scoop. Even then, it might not be worth the effort. Ambient air (underhood, or ideally fenderwell) is always best.

And as I said in the first post... the average CB7 weighs 2850 without the driver. EX models weigh more, especially those with ABS and all the extras. DX models weigh the least, since they have the least amount of options.

Here's something I was contemplating the other day... I've seen carbon fiber sunroof replacements for other cars. I'm sure they wouldn't be too hard to have made for our cars. Those with EXs that are serious abuot racing could quite possibly make their cars the LIGHTEST of all by removing everything sunroof related and installing that carbon fiber part. Just a thought!

Comment

Those sunroofs are crazy. I saw a prelude in my super street magazine that had one. Most cb7's weigh around 28-2850 without the driver, but mine weighs in at around 2550 now.

Comment

Originally posted by JaiBeezy DnB
                              How much does a CB7 weight. Mine says 3800.

3800..... thats really really heavy.

I just got mine weighed when i went to get my emission test done. Full interior and spare in the trunk. 2750 lbs.
                              my 91 cb7
                              Originally posted by 4doorfury
                              I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

I looked on the passanger door sill and it says gvwr (wtf that mean) 3880, and then it said 2900 Front and 1800 in rear, there are some more numbers where the zeros are but cant remeber. But taht cant be cause taht weighs more than my dads 2001 maxima and i can keep up with his ass until he hits 60 mph.
                                www.myspace.com/sajunglist

www.bassdrive.com

Comment

Working...
                                X