Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

90-97 Springtech coilovers, any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got mine in today.
    the shock rod(?) Is a little shorter then stock shocks and they seem to be pretty good quality. But I guess the true test is when I put em' on the car. I'll post pics tomorrow.

^MRT^

Comment

I don't. It seems people here push expensive parts because they think $$$ = quality. "You should buy a $1200 bisimoto header, they are the best." For a while, those were being pushed on every noob that asked "Should I get a header?", as being "the only header worth spending money on". The most expensive part is not always the highest quality part.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Thats a good point i never believe word of mouth. And unless they're proof i don't see a reason to disregard a company, i love to see real life results instead of he said she said talk.

People who venture out to try cheaper or not so big name products need to give feedback. I hope AmznAzn gives a review and if OP tries the truhart's he does the same until then everything is here say.

02 Crv
        02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
        92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
        Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

If you buy a cheap engine part it doesn't the have potential to hurt anyone if it fails.

If you buy a cheap suspension part it has the potential to hurt someone if it fails.
          Originally posted by deevergote
          These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            I don't. It seems people here push expensive parts because they think $$$ = quality. "You should buy a $1200 bisimoto header, they are the best." For a while, those were being pushed on every noob that asked "Should I get a header?", as being "the only header worth spending money on". The most expensive part is not always the highest quality part.
            5hp from every other header on the market, or at least 12hp from a Bisimoto header. That is why it is the best. Not the price.
            Show me a $200 header that makes 12hp, and I'll gladly push that before a Bisimoto header.

The same goes for suspension components. We're not basing things on price. We're basing things on quality. Poorly made parts are prone to failure and lousy performance. When your life is riding on something, you don't want a poorly made part!

Comment

jeeez i never thought this would become such a heated debate..

I've already decided what 2 set ups I'm considering with my budget of $300 give or take a few bucks.

1) Stagg SHS strut set (made for 15-20% stiffer springs) & Tein S. Tech springs totals me @ $311
              they can be seen here:
              Springs
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKA16-AUB00-...9cd7cf&vxp=mtr
              Struts
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-SE...d8234f&vxp=mtr

or

2) Stagg SHS struts (made for 15-20% stiffer springs) paired in a kit with Vogtland springs @ $313

they can be seen here:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-4-...5017fb&vxp=mtr

for anyone that wants to question Stagg (OEM for early BMW's) you can read what I did here:
              http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ngs-done-today

I took what advice I gathered from all of you and did a little reading and narrowed it down to 2 more stable and quality options.

Comment

Does anyone here know somebody who has crashed because they put $50 springs on their car? Not saying I endorse the use of cheap suspension parts, just seems like a bit of exaggeration to say you will crash if you use cheap springs.

I paid $60 for 4 shocks for my truck, and I haven't wrecked it, even when towing 6k+ lbs.
                Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                I don't believe so and if they did say they wrecked I would bet it was because they were driving like an ass on the cheapo suspension. You can easily buy $2000 worth of quality suspension and end up wrecking because you don't know what the hell you are doing. But to blame it entirely on the shit you bought? Thats ridiculous.

I don't believe any of us here are suggesting buy $50 sleeves or chop your springs... There are WAY too many viable options out there to even consider doing that anymore. Maybe back in the mid to late 90's when you didn't have any other choice but not now in 2013.

And thats really what I was trying to get at. Exaggeration of something that nobody here or anywhere else has any clear proof of anything happening. Instead of sitting here theorizing, go holla at a couple of cats that actually been through it and see what they say about it. People say smoking increases your chances of getting cancer. There is endless amounts of data to support that. Cats here chime in and say you're putting everybody's lives at risk because you have inexpensive springs and/or shocks... Don't act like Ricky Bobby in your 21 year old family sedan and the chances of that decrease DRAMATICALLY regardless of what suspension you are running.

Again I am mostly referring to the OP and the two choices of suspension he was interested in purchasing. Then everybody starts ripping him for even considering buying the shit... I don't understand that.
                I know a few guys who have crashed their Civics/Integras because of cheap suspensions. They hit a bump at speed and the rear end flipped.

You guys think you're so smart, when you really have no idea what you're talking about. There is a reason you don't see race cars on "cheap Ebay suspensions". There is a reason high performance cars/bikes have suspensions made by the likes of Eibach, Koni, Bilstein, Tokico and not FnF and "Suspension Tech". You guys say "people just think expensive shit = quality", and then bring up Bisimoto, who literally makes overpriced crap and laughs about it

Again this shit is coming from a place of ignorance. I have had numerous suspension setups and have pushed them to the limit. 100 MPH on a quality suspension is totally different than 100 MPH on Ebay springs and blown stock shocks- and I have friends w/balled up cars and lifelong injuries to prove it.And you don't even have to be going 100 MPH for it to make a difference in safety. But go ahead and keep believing your ignorance + pride >>>>>> actual experience. I have been in this game for close to 10 years. I built/re-built 4 cars w/my own hands. Deev is the owner of the site. Whats your resume????? Have you ever owned a car w/legitimate shocks (Koni Yellows, Tokico Illuminas, Bilstein HDs- NOTHING ELSE)? Can you read a shock dyno? What have you done to tell me that I'm wrong?

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by CB7DX420 View Post
                  jeeez i never thought this would become such a heated debate..

I've already decided what 2 set ups I'm considering with my budget of $300 give or take a few bucks.

1) Stagg SHS strut set (made for 15-20% stiffer springs) & Tein S. Tech springs totals me @ $311
                  they can be seen here:
                  Springs
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKA16-AUB00-...9cd7cf&vxp=mtr
                  Struts
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-SE...d8234f&vxp=mtr

or

2) Stagg SHS struts (made for 15-20% stiffer springs) paired in a kit with Vogtland springs @ $313

they can be seen here:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGG-SHS-4-...5017fb&vxp=mtr

for anyone that wants to question Stagg (OEM for early BMW's) you can read what I did here:
                  http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...ngs-done-today

I took what advice I gathered from all of you and did a little reading and narrowed it down to 2 more stable and quality options.
                  That's a much better setup than previously suggested. I'm not familiar with Stagg, but you clearly did your homework, and it's enough to make not consider them junk. Hopefully that "OEM quality" has continued over the years.
                  Those are likely to be on par with KYB GR2 and Tokico HP, but it's far better than cheapie Monroe or Gabriel crap. Or some no-name "hi performance" junk found only on ebay.

Comment

Those Staggs look like OEM replacements to me. Their website doesn't engender much faith

http://staggshocks.biz/

And they don't even mention how low you can go. Koni STR.Ts are not much more expensive and are at least from a legit brand.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                      You guys think you're so smart, when you really have no idea what you're talking about.
                      Lol, whatever. I never commented on "expensive = quality" whenever you get through running your mouth. Of course racecars don't use cheap suspension, because they are RACECARS. As much as some of you would like to believe you do, unfortunately nobody here has a racecar or anything close to it. Nobody is going 100 mph down the street. Nobody cares.

Everything I've stated I've been referring to Springtech and Truhart. And for an old ass sedan daily driver I don't see anything wrong with that and until you give me some type of solid proof these companies products kill people then you are the on that is ignorant.

You being "10 years deep in the game" means nothing (add about 10 more and you'll be closer to my level). Your 10 years means you've only been around since all this new shit has been out. You don't know any different because when cats were winging it when the scene was just blossoming you still had your mom's nipples stuck in your teeth.

And I'm not sure what Deev being the owner of the site (and you for whatever reason put that in bold like nobody knew that) has to do with anything you're talking about. Him owning this shit surely doesn't automatically mean he's some type of car genius or suspension expert. I mean, he just might be and it wouldn't surprise me if he was but it doesn't automatically give him that title because he owns a car enthusiast site. He's definitely no slouch when it comes to this shit and he is respected but come on now get his nuts out of your pocket already.

So like I said plenty of times I am referring to Springtech and Truhart, the two choices the OP originally posted and the entire reason for the thread really. I didn't really see the reason to come out talk all this shit about these 2 companies when nobody even had experience with either one of them... You are talking about ignorance, how is that not ignorant?
                      Last edited by HardInThePaint; 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by i-07 View Post
                        true eric. but some of the ebay sleeve have been known to break
                        True mine broke after 6 years of torture now I had to cough up for new coil-overs don't go cheap.

1992 Honda Accord EX My Ride Thread H23A BLUE TOP Complete

Comment

I agree about the poor quality and breaking after hard use but you guys gotta remember that even OEM springs and struts can break prematurely. Just last summer I helped my cousin change struts and springs on his Lincoln because they broke for the second time. First set was changed at the dealer and broke 2 coils within 15k miles. So far the set we changed are holding up fine and he bought some "oem" replacements from eBay.

Comment

And I also agree bad quality shit is more likely to fuck up than quality shit. But you have to determine if something is "bad quality" before you just assume it is because its a little less expensive.

Cheaper price usually denotes lesser quality, and vice versa the same goes for more expensive shit. And thats not just for springs/shocks thats for pretty much anything you buy. Of course there are exceptions to this not to mention paying for brand names and shit but basically this is how it is. If you got $600 coilovers and you got some $50 coilovers, its pretty obvious which ones are crap. But you got springs/shocks that are $300 to $400 and off top start calling them shit with nothing to back that statement up other than the price and the fact that the brand is lesser known? I don't agree with that.

And just because something isn't as good as quality as something else doesn't automatically make it bottom of the barrel shit bad quality... There is an area in between.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                              Those Staggs look like OEM replacements to me. Their website doesn't engender much faith

http://staggshocks.biz/

And they don't even mention how low you can go. Koni STR.Ts are not much more expensive and are at least from a legit brand.
                              believe as you will ive owned cars with staggs and their just fine.

a Koni is superior sure, but did you not see my budget? that would be the whole budget just for struts, and im not going to be agressivly driving my car it is my daily commuter to work and around town.

@ Deev, thank you for your approval of my planned setup. I'm sure the struts will hold up just fine as people on the Mazda forum were kicking the shit out of them and were all at 6 months to a year on the car reporting still fine.

@ HardInThePaint, thank you for defending my right to choose what goes on my car, as well as defending the fact that money does NOT always mean quality.

The final decision is Stagg SHS struts and Tein S. Tech. springs.
                              perhaps a year from now when I've saved the money I will get some F&F1's.
                              Last edited by CB7DX420; 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I have been in this game for close to 10 years. I built/re-built 4 cars w/my own hands. Deev is the owner of the site. Whats your resume????? Have you ever owned a car w/legitimate shocks (Koni Yellows, Tokico Illuminas, Bilstein HDs- NOTHING ELSE)? Can you read a shock dyno? What have you done to tell me that I'm wrong?
                                Is that really your resume dude? You've been "in the game" for 10 years and rebuilt 4 cars. Not to rag on Mike, but anyone with 4.99 a month can own a website. This is 2013, not 1999. All I see you do lately is be a total asshole to everyone on this site.

Whats my resume? Lets see, off the top of my head:

1992 Accord: Suspension rebuild, couple sets of shocks/springs.
                                1995 Civic: Engine swap to D16Z6 from D15. Easy
                                1986 Chevy, fuel injection conversion. Lots of wiring on that one.
                                1983 Malibu, frame off rebuild. New everything.
                                1992 Accord coupe: F22B swap with replacement transmission.
                                Countless other wiring projects and repairs. Also rebuilt a couple of Accords for resale, those left my garage with new brakes, balljoints, tires, rust repaired and a fresh coat of paint.

I did also have a 1st gen CRX with Tokico Iluminas at one point. Tough to find for those cars, a second hand set is $400. I currently have Koni/Neuspeed combo set aside for my wagon. So yes, I have had/have "legit" suspension setups.

My Malibu project:

Think before you run your mouth bro, don't assume the person your talking to is ignorant just because you don't like his/her opinions.
                                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
                                X