Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

DC Sports Header potential crack issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DC Sports Header potential crack issue

Hi all, I need some more experienced eyes on this potential problem.

I just got my DC SPorts 4-2-1 Headers with the flex pipe, all ceramic coated inside and out! Totally awesome, until I inspected them and found this at the base of the 4-2 header portion:

This cut does not penetrate even 10% of the metal, but I wanted to run this by the community to see if you all thought it would lead to full on cracking after installation and use. If more pictures are necessary, let me know.

Thanks for the help .
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

that is what would be called a crack propagation point. it's the weakest point in the metal and the easiest point at which the piece would fail. the header flange is a pretty high-stress area with the heat in the area and the weight of the header hanging off of there. If it is, as you say, only 10% of the way through, I would take this to a welder and have them fill that crack.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I was hoping not to have to do a return on that, and I have a contact welder. Since these are ceramic coated steel, should I have the welder fill the area with stainless steel to prevent rusting?

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

looks superficial just like the line to the right of the tube that got coated.

to weld it theyll have to grind away the coating near it, but honestly it looks more like a scratch then something to worry about.

when theres a crack theyll drill holes at each end of the crack and fill it with a tig bead. eg: o-----o

i wouldnt trip.

Comment

it looks like their flat steel sheet stock was scratched before they cut out the flange template. Maybe some runaway tooling that gouged it. Considering the welding and coating were done AFTER and overtop this defect, I would guess that it is more of a cosmetic issue rather than structurally compromising.

I would run it, and only get it ground and welded if it happened to fail in the future.

May just want to ask DC what they would offer in terms of warranty, and if they cover all the expenses and its easy to do, a swap out might be a good idea... but personally I don't think I would bother.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Nothing to worry about. It will not crack.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              it looks like their flat steel sheet stock was scratched before they cut out the flange template. Maybe some runaway tooling that gouged it. Considering the welding and coating were done AFTER and overtop this defect, I would guess that it is more of a cosmetic issue rather than structurally compromising.

I would run it, and only get it ground and welded if it happened to fail in the future.

May just want to ask DC what they would offer in terms of warranty, and if they cover all the expenses and its easy to do, a swap out might be a good idea... but personally I don't think I would bother.
              The headers I got come with a 12 month limited warranty. I will have to check the documents for specifics, but I'm glad to know that I don't need to stress over it. I don't want to ruin any of the ceramic coating in order to fill the scratch/gouge. Thanks everyone!

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I just noticed something alarming in the directions. DC sports says to reuse the gasket that's on the car now when the stock headers are removed. I know for certain that gasket has been on the car since at least '96. Are they serious? I went over the directions many times, so I am sure I did not read the directions wrong. Even my service manual says to replace it after removal.

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
                  I just noticed something alarming in the directions. DC sports says to reuse the gasket that's on the car now when the stock headers are removed. I know for certain that gasket has been on the car since at least '96. Are they serious? I went over the directions many times, so I am sure I did not read the directions wrong. Even my service manual says to replace it after removal.
                  they didnt give you new ones?? even cheap ebay setups included new gaskets..

http://scegaskets.com/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-9400

if youre talking about header to head gasket and you have the ishno MLS type, they can be reused, as this is what I did instead of the aluminum crush type included.

Comment

I am talking about the header to head gasket, they did give all other gaskets for the other flanges, thank goodness. Now for the type, I checked my '93 service manual and they look like product 9402 on page 57 of the SCE Gaskets catalog. A few days ago, I ordered a copper version of this from Mr. Gasket on Ebay. I'll post a picture when it arrives. Thank you so much for that SCE Gaskets resource!

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      they didnt give you new ones?? even cheap ebay setups included new gaskets..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-9400
                      Actually, now that I look again, they didn't give me a collector gasket as well . Two O-rings for the machined grooves were included. Nothing is mentioned about a collector gasket in the directions; but, if leaking is indeed a problem at this location without a collector gasket, then I will order one.

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Actually, now that I look again, they didn't give me a collector gasket as well . Two O-rings for the machined grooves were included. Nothing is mentioned about a collector gasket in the directions; but, if leaking is indeed a problem at this location without a collector gasket, then I will order one.
                        Ok the two rings are stock style gaskets for like an A6 downpipe. they should be good. I got a pair with my gasket set for an h22a.
                        I suggest using copper gasket sealer/adhesive spray too on both flange sides and gasket.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. I ordered that flange gasket and I found that my local Autozone carries the copper spray, so I'm set for a full install this weekend! I'm mating these headers with Magnaflow from there on back.

MRT
                          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I am talking about the header to head gasket, they did give all other gaskets for the other flanges, thank goodness. Now for the type, I checked my '93 service manual and they look like product 9402 on page 57 of the SCE Gaskets catalog. A few days ago, I ordered a copper version of this from Mr. Gasket on Ebay. I'll post a picture when it arrives. Thank you so much for that SCE Gaskets resource!
                            Yup, that's the correct gasket.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help. I ordered that flange gasket and I found that my local Autozone carries the copper spray, so I'm set for a full install this weekend! I'm mating these headers with Magnaflow from there on back.
                              youre welcome no problem hope its buttery smooth! it ought to sound awesome, that magnaflow systems a pretty penny.

Comment

Working...
                              X