No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Coolant leak - Replaced clamp, leak is fixed.
    - IACV sticky - Might have just been air in the system from the coolant leak, giving this a bit more time before I blame it as the culprit.
    - Passenger Axle - Replaced, vibrations are greatly improved. There are still some but it's 100x better than before. I'm going to find a set of OEM axles next time I head to Spokane in the junkyard and have raxles.com rebuild them. I don't want to have any issues with axles down the road. OEM or bust.
    - V-Band clamp on exhaust with flex pipe - V-Band clamp and flanges will show up on Saturday. I'm going to make an appointment for Monday to get the exhaust done.
    - Add transmission fluid - Added transmission fluid and went for a drive. The new axle seal seems to be holding in the transmission fluid. I need to go for a longer drive to actually confirm this. But after about 8 miles driving around town last night, there was no fluid on the transmission housing.

I still have a few other outstanding issues that I didn't list before.

- Replace ground wire to engine.
    - Add another ground wire to engine.
    - Add ground wire from battery to engine.
    - Finish scrubbing oil/dirt/nastiness from the bottom of the floor pan on the passenger side. I currently have this about 60% done. But I would like to finish cleaning off the new oil since it softened up the stuff already on there a bit.
    - Finish cleaning off the back end of the cat back. I probably have this about 50% done currently.
    - Prothane bushings into rear wagon control arms. Still need to purchase the bushings.
    - Replace rear lower shock bushings. I have a new set of Energy Suspension bushings for the front upper control arms to replace the current ones. I just need to take the rear shocks out again. It honestly shouldn't take more than a few minutes per side to swap these. My current ones are showing a bit of wear on the bottom side.
    - Install Cheddas Auto extended rear top hats. While doing this I'll get the lower bushings replaced.
    - Replace 3 of my Bilstein shocks. As somehow the asshats that stole the car made 3 of them leak.
    - Replace bushings in the trailing arms. These are the last bushings left on this car to replace. The larger front bushing is going to receive a set of HardRace bushings. The smaller ones where the knuckle bolts onto the trailing arm will receive a set of Febest bushings. Apalileo found these replacements somehow. A few years ago when doing a different set of trailing arms I couldn't find these bushings for the life of me. In fact I have a trailing arm that I thought was worthless because I press the small bushings out of it, and then couldn't find any replacements for it.

I think that about sums up the issues that I have with the car for the time being. Now this doesn't account for any new projects or plans for the car by any means. These are just the items that I feel are outstanding and need to be taken care of in the next few months. None of them needing to get done right at this moment, so I don't really feel like I'm in a rush. Now I do have a decent sized tote with a bunch of projects for Lola to start working on once the drive to accomplish some of this stuff returns. I really want to enjoy the car at this point instead of feeling like I have to work on it all the time to make it enjoyable.

I do have to mention this though. As I took both cars apart and put new Lola back together, I added a ton of things, or changed things with the stock parts to reduce an vibrations/noises that the interior makes while driving. This iteration of Lola is so much better to drive than the first attempt. The cabin is so much quieter than before. Now I'm not saying that it's quite in the cabin, but there aren't a ton of little annoying noises that annoy you while driving.

I will mention I do have one spot that is making noise during driving. The drivers door panel is rubbing the dashboard somehow and making an awful noise. To alleviate this problem though I'm just going to add a strip of felt to separate the vinyl from rubbing on each other and making the noise. Once I have that done I guess I'll find out at that point if I have any other awful sounds.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

While I haven't been super productive in getting much accomplished with Lola, I have spent a lot of time taking her out and about around town on errands. This allows me to get her up to temperature and then check things on her. So far I've found one more coolant leak. No oil is leaking from the transmission, so that is taken care of. I've also had a vacuum leak that I've been working on tracking down. I think last night, I finally tracked down the last one, or at least I hope I did. I'm going to take it for a test drive tonight to see how it runs. We had a massive thunderstorm last night so, while I wanted to go drive I choose not to. The final thing I wrapped up is below.

Old Doughnut Gasket and Flanges

PLM Modified Header 1

PLM Modified Header 2

PLM Modified Header 3

I have to say that having a flex pipe again is a godsend. The vibrations in the cab are lessened quite a bit. Also not having to smell exhaust is absolutely awesome. Also the sound of the engine is improved quite a bit. All in all, this is one of the best mods done on the car in awhile. Hopefully soon, I'll have the bugs worked out of the car, and can start working on some of the fun stuff again. Also I'll start driving the car more, once the vacuum leak is fixed.

Comment

Looks like quality work! Much better than the hack job that is my catalytic converter. The muffler shop that did it (before my ownership) cut the old one off before and after the flanges and welded it in. I basically have a one-piece downpipe to rear axle section.

Makes sense that a race pipe wouldn't have the flex pipe, but for daily driving and general comfort, this looks to be a good addition.

I don't know how you manage to keep your car so clean. It's cleaner underneath than my car is up top.
        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

I need to eventually do the same thing with my header. I'm still running the donut. Every once and a while if I pull away from a light hard I can hear it leaking. The recent updates look really good.

Comment

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
            Looks like quality work! Much better than the hack job that is my catalytic converter. The muffler shop that did it (before my ownership) cut the old one off before and after the flanges and welded it in. I basically have a one-piece downpipe to rear axle section.

Makes sense that a race pipe wouldn't have the flex pipe, but for daily driving and general comfort, this looks to be a good addition.

I don't know how you manage to keep your car so clean. It's cleaner underneath than my car is up top.
            Thanks Apalileo!

That sucks that you have pretty much a one piece exhaust currently. I'm a bit concerned about getting this out of the car now. We probably extended it about 10". Even for racing I think I'd even prefer this setup as compared to the doughnut gasket.

About the cleanliness... It doesn't help that every time I even go under the car to look at things, I take a couple of blue Scott's shop towels and wipe more stuff down or scrub on something. I really really hate getting absolutely filthy working on the car. So given enough time hopefully I won't really have any nasty stuff left on the car. Also the fact that I only really drive the car for dedicated trips, and not as a daily probably helps it stay a bit cleaner than the average car.

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
            I need to eventually do the same thing with my header. I'm still running the donut. Every once and a while if I pull away from a light hard I can hear it leaking. The recent updates look really good.
            Thanks Mike!

I understand what you mean, under any hard acceleration I could tell it was separating somewhat. I've had all the piping and the flex pipe on the shelf for over 2 years. I don't know why I hadn't ordered a v-band before and even fixed it on the other header with the F flange. Live and learn I suppose.

Comment

So a few updates. I've fixed a few vacuum leaks, and found an oil leak that I will fix here eventually. I think I've fixed all the vacuum leaks at this point. The VTEC pressure switch is leaking where the plastic is mounted to the metal. So I just need a new one to fix this leak. Also I evacuated the A/C system and recharged it. It's so awesome to have cold air again in Lola. I still need to work on my bullet list above, but I haven't had a lot of drive, also there's been a ton of personal stuff going on in my life right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                So a few updates. I've fixed a few vacuum leaks, and found an oil leak that I will fix here eventually. I think I've fixed all the vacuum leaks at this point. The VTEC pressure switch is leaking where the plastic is mounted to the metal. So I just need a new one to fix this leak. Also I evacuated the A/C system and recharged it. It's so awesome to have cold air again in Lola. I still need to work on my bullet list above, but I haven't had a lot of drive, also there's been a ton of personal stuff going on in my life right now.
                Build looks amazing. I started from page #1 and ended up here, but sadly it seems that Photobucket cannibalized your photos on a few pages.

Either way - it's refreshing to see so much activity on this platform and with high quality detail
                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                  Build looks amazing. I started from page #1 and ended up here, but sadly it seems that Photobucket cannibalized your photos on a few pages.

Either way - it's refreshing to see so much activity on this platform and with high quality detail
                  Thanks verothacamaro!

Yea I have all of the photo's still actually, so it's not like they are lost. I just need to take a few hours and work on re-uploading and linking them on here. I just haven't had the time yet. Yea, I'm not sure why I ended up with a CB7 as my love for a project car, either way I love this thing.

Comment

I was just going to edit my last post, but verothacamaro beat me to it with a reply. I got interrupted in the middle of the post with some work stuff. Aside from the few things I have fixed above, I haven't done a whole lot to Lola. I've washed her by hand twice in the last 2 weeks though. I've also made a few solo road trips, you know just to enjoy the car.

The following pictures were on a pullout on Highway 12 about 15 miles from Lolo Hot Springs. There are a few areas with some fun twisty's on this stretch of highway between Missoula and Lolo Hot Springs. I made this drive on the evening of 6/3/17. It was a good 80 mile trip and I had a good time.

Lola 1

Lola 2

Lola 3

Lola 4

Lola 5

Lola 6

On the morning of 6/4/17 I left the house at about 6am to drive from Missoula to Lost Trail Pass. I got up to the top of the pass right after 8am. I had an absolute blast driving up the pass. With the H22A1, I was able to climb the entire pass in 3rd gear. With the F22B DOHC I had to downshift to 2nd a few times. I pushed the car pretty hard on the climb, and she took all of it beautifully. Although I'm sure that the people camping all around the pass probably didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Also I'm sure that they didn't enjoy being woken up by a screaming engine either. I think on the climb about the lowest I went in the rpm range was about 4.5k, all the way up to redline. One the way down I didn't push the car as hard, I really prefer climbing as opposed to descending. The following pictures are about 2 miles down from the top of the pass on the Montana side. There weren't any good pullout's for pictures up any higher. Too many tree's right on the edge of the road and such.

Lola 1

Lola 2

Lola 3

Lola 4

Lola 5

Lola 6

Lola 7

Lola 8

I uploaded more pictures from these trips to flickr.com I just randomly choose these as I thought they looked good. If you want to view the rest just look on flickr as they are all public.

I have been working on another possible project though. I though about this as I was walking by the car in the garage, and tried something out. I'll upload the pictures of this tonight.
                    Last edited by Rilas; 06-08-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

looking good!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Fantastic photos! Lola is definitely looking good!
                        1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Very nice. Dedication and persistence has paid off. Beautiful build!
                          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

It's always fun reading the progress on Lola. Your exhaust looks so good now. I like how you had everything welded up to avoid leaks. Good luck on the continuing progress!

Now time for a tune!

Comment

Innovative Mount Crew!
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                                looking good!!
                                Thanks cp[mike]!

Originally posted by apalileo View Post
                                Fantastic photos! Lola is definitely looking good!
                                Thanks apalileo! I'm seriously debating getting some of the Spoon rigid collars. I think I'm going to purchase some hopefully in the near future.

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                                Very nice. Dedication and persistence has paid off. Beautiful build!
                                Thanks Straight Success.

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                                It's always fun reading the progress on Lola. Your exhaust looks so good now. I like how you had everything welded up to avoid leaks. Good luck on the continuing progress!

Now time for a tune!
                                Thanks excalibur02! I try to keep this thread up to date as best I can. It's definitely a good way to see how she has progressed over time. Having the exhaust fully welded up is awesome! No more issues period. After the eBay header leaks, the PLM leaks, and the leaks from the mid pipe. Having no more exhaust leaks at all is so great.

As soon as I have a spare $1000 or so laying around I'll get right on that. I'm not ignoring this aspect of the engine at all. It's just I don't have the funds to buy an ecu, Hondata S300 v3, a wideband, and tuning. I am going to get the wideband soon though. As I really want to know if I'm running lean or rich currently. I'm not sure when I'll be able to pickup the ecu/Hondata though and that's the big one. On a somewhat related note though, I think I found a dyno locally that I can put Lola on. I'm going to try and get more information.

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                                Innovative Mount Crew!
                                Thanks Gtron! Yes I do love the Innovative mounts! Although I still think I might switch up the rear mount to a stock Prelude rear mount with an Energy Suspension insert.

Comment

Working...
                                X