Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil?

So I was at Pep Boys the other day and they suggested that I get high mileage oil.. What's the diff? What benefits am I getting?

Click For MRT

Not sure, some of them have different additives like more detergent and stuff.

If you have a well running Honda engine you probably don't need the high mileage oil. My car has 220k on it and I've never used anything but standard 5w-30 and 10w-40 the whole time. It still gets 30 mpg straight up and doesn't burn a drop of oil (leaks some, though!).

Basically, I guess you could summarize my comment as really being "I have no idea."

Comment

Originally posted by C-Rod View Post
      So I was at Pep Boys the other day and they suggested that I get high mileage oil.. What's the diff? What benefits am I getting?
      mannn, pepboys will tell you anything to get you to spend cash... i was told i needed a camber kit because i had a bit of camber up front. truth was that my shocks had a leak so it got low from the front!
      and from what my teachers tell me...as long as you run the oil your suppose to your fine!

oh i forgot to mention im completely stock so no suspension upgrades. lol

Comment

hi, i changed my oil recently, i used castrol gtx, the guy said oil now is made to last longer than ever, because i asked him about syntethic oil, which 1 should i get even tho i was gonna walk outta there with gtx.. i wanted to see wat he'll say.

i change my oil every 3k.
        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

The only problem with synthetic is that it's thinner than conventional oil. If your engine has leaks, synthetic will find them faster. Granted, that's not a problem if your motor is healthy... but if you don't keep an eye on your oil level, it can be a big deal.

High mileage oil is never a bad thing... but to be honest, as long as you maintain your engine, and don't abuse it, regular oil is just fine.

Comment

@ F20A i honestly dont believe it would be safe to start running a car with synthetic oil on a egine with high milage that has been ran on conventional oil in entire life. another thing is you cannot switch back "safely" to conventional oil once synthetic is used. making your oil changes that much more expensive.
            @ Op High milage oil benefits your engine by introducing detergents into the system that after being ran a full cycle can clean and better lubricate your engines moving parts. I would say run it if you feel you need to, but i cantell you that if you go to a lub shop like jiffy lub or even wal mart they check your odometer and use the apropriate oil, if its high milage "above 150K" they will use the high milage brand and it doesnt cost more, and if it does its cents on the dollar, not like the difference in cost between synthetic and conventional.

Comment

I made the switch to synthetic and im never going back. Opening up the oil cap and seeing its cleaner every time makes me happy.
              wat?

Comment

Yeah, I'm guessing high mileage oil just has more stuff to clean gunk out of your engine. I use Castrol Syntec though. That stuff is beast.

Comment

I use Royal Purple, runs like a champ.

Comment

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic and its great. You definitely get what you pay for. If you want the best get Amsoil..
                    '92 CB7 H22a M2B4

Comment

i usally use royal purple but i tried castrol edge and i like it i use that and a k&n filter
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      This thread is over a year old, you fucking retard.
                      i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS

Comment

Originally posted by Slice One View Post
                        @ F20A i honestly dont believe it would be safe to start running a car with synthetic oil on a egine with high milage that has been ran on conventional oil in entire life. another thing is you cannot switch back "safely" to conventional oil once synthetic is used. making your oil changes that much more expensive.
                        This was really only an issue with early sythetic oils. It would cause the seals to swell and when you added regular mineral oil it would shrink some causing the seal to fail. Now days its really not a big deal. The rumor still floats around though.

And as long as the engine has no leaks switching to synthetic is not going to cause leaks that were not previously there.

My s13 Ride Thread>>><<<My Rx7 Ride Thread "What is power without control?"
                        New people click here

Comment

Originally posted by C-Rod View Post
                          Thanks to everyone for the info!

Click For MRT

Comment

RP.5-30 with K&N oil filter.perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by Slice One View Post
                              @ Op High milage oil benefits your engine by introducing detergents into the system that after being ran a full cycle can clean and better lubricate your engines moving parts. I would say run it if you feel you need to, but i cantell you that if you go to a lub shop like jiffy lub or even wal mart they check your odometer and use the apropriate oil, if its high milage "above 150K" they will use the high milage brand and it doesnt cost more, and if it does its cents on the dollar, not like the difference in cost between synthetic and conventional.
                              you are mistaken...this is an old wives tale.

and NEVER...take your car to wal mart for anything...better than jiffy lube I guess...but...they like to double charge you for everything...you would not notice unless you checked the receipt. They gave us a quote one time for tires, I noticed their charges did not add up to what the total was. They charged twice for things...it is in the total but not on the paperwork.

The ONLY con for todays synthetics is if your seals are old and worn...but if they leak with synthetic oil then it IS beyond time to replace them.

Do not blame your oil for BAD SEALS! Switch to castrol syntec (unlike others...it really is synthetic), change your filter every 5k, and change the oil every 15,000 miles. If you leak oil...replace the worn seals! Common sense really.

I have over 226,000 miles and drive hard...synthetic ftw
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X