Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Weak spark after h22a1 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak spark after h22a1 swap

So I'm getting weak spark at all four spark plugs. At one point it was getting good spark but wasn't firing because the camshafts where rotated 180° in the wrong direction. That's not the point i fucked up that part but i fixed it and now it's timed correctly.

I thought it was a battery issue at first because all of the attempts to start it. So i recharged the battery but still nothing. I hooked up my spark tester and the spark is very weak and orange in color.

I put a multimeter to the 7 pin pigtail for the distributor and checked the voltage. I can't remember the voltage when we cranked the engine but it seemed very low. I checked the resistance and that came out to be 8-9 ohms. To me that seems really high.

I don't really know where to check next. I looked a wiring diagram and from the dizzy to the next spot seems to be the main relay. The main relay is new so next would be ECU?

Here is more info about the car
    New parts: plugs, wires, dizzy (TD-60u), main relay.
    The harness is a 90 accord internal coil dizzy set up. The ecu is a JDM p13. The guy i bought it from says it's JDM.
    I've heard internal coils suck. I do have a harness for a 93 ex but it was out of a auto and mine is a 5 speed. Could i still do a external conversion?

There’s nothing wrong with internal coils. The more you change, the more opportunity there is for problems. Leave it as it is and we can troubleshoot from there.

The first thing to do is check all your grounds. Make sure all are clean and tight.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      There’s nothing wrong with internal coils. The more you change, the more opportunity there is for problems. Leave it as it is and we can troubleshoot from there.

The first thing to do is check all your grounds. Make sure all are clean and tight.
      Went back and sanded the ground spots to make sure they have good contact. Nothing changed.

Comment

No? Okay thanks guys. Big help.

Comment

Can't say i've ever heard of weak spark, this is happening with all plugs?
          What happens when you try to start it?

Comment

Internal coils are fine. The biggest benefit of external is being able to move it further away from the engine for cooling. The main relay is not directly ignition related. You would have a LOT more problems if that side of the relay was bad. The ECU is fine, you can see a spark which means the ECU is doing its job. Your coil resistance is suspect.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Measured inductance and resistance of primary and secondary. LCR set to 1kHz for inductance and 0.1kHz for resistance. Resistance double checked with Fluke DMM. They are almost exact.

Internal coil
            Primary
            Resistance: 0.77 Ohms
            Inductance: 5.18 mH

Secondary
            Resistance: 17 KOhms
            Inductance: 32.5 H

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by 417HondaNoob View Post
              No? Okay thanks guys. Big help.

Comment

What type of TD-60? An OEM Honda?

I have heard of people having issues with cheaper Distributors if you are using an aftermarket type.
                Keep Pushing..

Comment

Sorry Deevergote for being an asshole. I've just been frustrated.

When i crank the engine it makes a whining sound and fires 4 times but doesn't actually start. I was told it would send fire balls out of the manifold.

I think the timing could be off a tooth.

It's in the shop now to see if they can find any high resistance.

When i get it back ill take the timing cover off and make sure the bottom end is timed with the top.

The distributor is O'Reilly brand bc i have a friend who works there.

Comment

Working...
                  X