No announcement yet.

Car audio illiterate, desiring loud and clean audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have not seen any empirical evidence that 6x9s are inherently worse than round speakers. If you find data, distortion plots, response plots etc. I would like to see them.

How are coaxial speakers muddying the sound? What's the physical mechanisms behind it? Why are components that much better, given both drivers have the same drivers and crossovers?

I'm asking these questions because you are making broad generalizations about these types of speakers and cite subjective evidence. Can you tell I like car audio?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Can do, would you accept standard audio/ speaker theory Or must it all relate specifically to car audio?
      sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Standard theory works fine. Feel free to be as technical as you need. It makes for good discussion.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, I appreciate it. Some good info in here.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            Standard theory works fine. Feel free to be as technical as you need. It makes for good discussion.
            SonikaAccord, you've defeated me haha
            I've spent about 3 hours total over the past week trying to find good scientific evidence to explain what my ears are saying but i cant do it.

This is the best ive found, as we all know 6X9's produce more bass due to more cone area but because the 6" side and 9" side are under the same forces they dont last as long, because of inequal force applied, and a 6.5" speaker replicates audio better due to being circular. Again, i cant find good evidence for this, so this is NOT scientific in any way and if anything is just my opinion from experience. I'm sorry but i just couldnt seem to find the information i required. A well made speaker will Produce good sound no matter the size to be honest.

As for coax vs component debate, the biggest reason for my opinion that component is better is because you can aim the very important tweeters wherever works best in the specific audio system. do i need to prove high frequencies get lost with more distance compared to low Frequencies, As i believe anyone thats gone to a live music event thats heard bass before Treble knows that, ahha.

Im really sorry that i couldnt provide a better answer but i just couldnt get together coherent enough information. I still think a 6.5" component will be much better than a 6x9" coax but thats my opinion, and everyone has them hahaha
            Last edited by lbus9168; 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM.
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I've been looking for measurements for the 6x9 speakers for a while as well, so don't feel defeated.

I prefer circular speakers because of their variety and ease of installation in most factory locations. As far as sound, the only legitimate argument I have is that due to the unequal cone lengths, you experience a phase interaction at TWO different frequency related to the "6" side AND the "9" side. That may or may not be important because your xover may exclude those frequencies.

What about the coaxials with swivel tweeters? What about the distance that you introduce between the tweeter and the woofer? It's all a compromise. I prefer components because of the ability to switch out tweeters and woofers and the flexibility that comes with having active xovers. For the average person though, I would say go coax just because you can install them as one set and go.

Ok, I just had a chance to listen to your music H311RA151N and you will want a stong mid-range and a laid back tweeter(silk, preferably). Guitars and male vocals are extremely demanding to reproduce correctly and with authority. You'll need a woofer that digs down deep to give the body that you'll want so your music doesn't sound thin. A silk tweeter should blend nicely with the woofer and give you a top end accent for the cymbals, hi-hats, bells, etc. I don't think you would want the sharp/aggressiveness of the metal dome.

Here is the kicker, pun intended. You aren't running a sub, so you'll need a pretty large mid to cover those lows. I know you want a strong tom, kick and bass...who doesn't? The 6x9 is fine for the lows, but once you get past a certain frequency (that 9 side I was talking about earlier), strange things start to happen. You may not even be able to tell unless you know what to listen for

I don't know of any off-the-shelf speakers that would fit, but I could probably piece together a set pretty quickly.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Awesome, awesome, awesome sonikaccord. In the morning I'm going to take the info you have given and do a little research just so I understand everything a bit better. You made it easy, that's for sure.

lbus9168, thank you as well. Great and educational conversation here. And I can use all the education on this subject that I can get.

Comment

Got part of the audio situation taken care of. I went with a set of JBL P662's in the doors. Turns out the factory door speaker size is 6.5" so I just stuck with that size.

I found a set of 6x9 speaker boxes I forgot I had. I'm going to freshen them up a bit, find a set of 6x9's I like then place them under the seat.

I installed a Sony that I've had forever, an MEX-BT3700U. I installed a dash kit which is ok for now I guess. Not much time or money for that matter so I'll just have to settle.

It's loud enough that I can hear something other than tires roar on the asphalt so that's pleasing.

I'll try to take some pics today if I can.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    I have heard about Hertz Millie line. Super high dollar or was at the time but had unmatched performance.

I was unaware one could even get ahold of Hertz stuff without going to a dealer. I remember years ago Hertz wanted to keep it that way. But it must not be like that anymore which is awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
                    it still is that way....some are online but you lose the 3 yr warranty....not to mention, they are the most copied speaker so you will find alot of fakes and knockoffs
                    SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

Originally posted by BIGRICH View Post
                      it still is that way....some are online but you lose the 3 yr warranty....not to mention, they are the most copied speaker so you will find alot of fakes and knockoffs
                      When I heard the Millie speakers for the first time they were in a Chevrolet Silverado with 7 amps in the bed (show truck) and the sound blew me away. Without a lot of volume I'll add. They sounded so clean that it gave the illusion of hearing the music clearer than you heard things with the naked ear in reality. Kinda like when you see some uber high end TV and you think it's clearer than real life. Like that only with sound. I want to say, and this truck was an extended cab, that the number of these speakers in the truck was in the low teens. 14 speakers I think. Not subs, speakers. Although there were subwoofers as well. I believe they called it "a wall" or the truck was "walled".

Comment

Working...
                      X