spill-proof funnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spill-proof funnel

if you read this type of message from me, i apologize. when i clicked submit new thread, it didn't appear in the TECHNICAL forum. so this is my second attempt. so below is my message.

i know i don't really need the spill proof funnel because we have a bleeder port for purging air bubbles. i bought it on someone's suggestion eventhough i knew about the bleeder port. i use it on my 2015 odyssey. anyways, i used it today

question: when i have the spill proof funnel hooked up, am i suppose to not see anymore bubbles? i ask this because after my car running for minutes, i see still air bubbles emerging through the funnel filled with radiator fluid.

i followed the instructions. find the correct adaptor/cap, install spill proof funnel, fill radiator w/new fluid, turn heater knob to full heat (to allow fluid into the heater core), start car, idle car to warm up. i would imagine after a while, the thermostat would open and allow fluid into the engine block. A youtube video, someone said to wait till the fan kicks on and then wait till all air bubbles are purged. i believe i waited long enough

sooo, am i suppose to see air bubbles emerging from the radiator through the spill proof funnel every so often? it seems every minute bubbles emerges out of the funnel.

also, other than the air bubbles, am i suppose to see radiator fluid movement through the spill proof funnel? i ask this because the water pump would pull or push fluid causing fluid movement. does the water pump cause low pressure to pull or push fluid which is the reason i barely see movement.

i am thinking there might be a hole in the system. am i correct?

If it never stops making bubbles there is a leak. I have had what I believe to be a very minor head gasket leak do this to me. Try repeating your procedure and revving the motor. Do the bubbles speed up? Probably is my guess. I never replaced my head gasket to be sure that was it so I can't be certain. I just added about a quarter gallon of reagular water every 400 miles or so till the motor died and swapped it out.
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

If the radiator fluid is leaking through the head gasket, would i see fluid in my oil when i drain it? Or If there is a hole somewhere wouldnt i have a visible fluid under my ride?

Comment

Normally you do see fluid in the oil or vice versa. I never did in my case. I just know I constantly saw bubbles when I checked my coolant and I was loosing a little coolant. Did you see if the bubbles speed up when throttled?

Comment

my friend used his Combustion Leak Tester, which tested any carbon dioxide in the radiator. he pulled off the cap, told me to run it till it was pretty hot, and he stuck this turkey baster thing down the down of the radiator cap opening. he squeezed the bulb at the end of the tester which sucked up fumes (carbon dioxide). the blue liquid changed color to a yellow which meant the cylinder head had a leak somewhere. once the parts comes in, i will be dropping off my ride to my mechanic. i wish i had a second car so i can tear into it. since i am a medium skilled mechanic, i don't think i can finish the job in one weekend. oh well.

CB7_calling,
          thanks for giving me your insight. ttyl.

Comment

So, head gasket then? The reason I never changed mine is cause I could not be certain that was the issue.

Comment

Working...
            X