Spinning Rear Disc Wheel Stud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinning Rear Disc Wheel Stud

Hey Guys, so I have a nut stuck on a spinning stud on one of my rear discs...
    Once I get the nut off and the wheel removed, what do I replace? The hub? I've never messed with rear disc brake stuff.

I'm planning on hitting up the Junk Yard Saturday to get whatever part I need to fix this, so help is appreciated!
    I'm faster then a prius

The studs have a serrated base; sounds like that has stripped in the hub, so replacing the hub is probably in order. Not sure if they make studs with an oversized base.

I believe I have a hub if you don't find one locally.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

New hub is in order for sure. Or weld it, but the heat might cook the bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        The studs have a serrated base; sounds like that has stripped in the hub, so replacing the hub is probably in order. Not sure if they make studs with an oversized base.

I believe I have a hub if you don't find one locally.
        What I thought then, I should be able to grab one at a yard here locally. If for some reason I don't I might have to take you up on that! Thanks for the offer.

This is definitely due to me over-torquing with my impact gun, needless to say I've learned my lesson. I'm going to go buy a torque wrench ASAP.
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
          New hub is in order for sure. Or weld it, but the heat might cook the bearing.
          I don't have a welder, so probably not haha.

Off topic question, would a bad bearing make a squeaking sound when going over bumps and such?... (drivers side rear wheel)
          I'm trying to diagnose this crazy annoying noise I'm getting after swapping my rear discs on. I think I heard that bad bearing noise when I was driving with my back seat down today. And I had never heard this noise until I put the disc knuckle on, but I don't know if a bearing would make a squeaking noise. (The wheel doesn't have any play when I checked)

New lower control arms, toe arms, and coil-overs on both back wheels... The squeak was there before I put in the coilovers.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Could be a bearing. I've never had to replace a rear yet, but I've had fronts start out as a quiet high pitched squeak or squeal. When swerving a little side to side when driving down the street, it would be worse in one direction than the other. If it is a loud, lower pitched squeak and only occurs when going over bumps, it may be in the suspension.

If you replaced the forward of the two rear lower control arms (toe arms), did you have an alignment done? The inner mounting bolt has an offset head and washer to adjust the toe.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              Could be a bearing. I've never had to replace a rear yet, but I've had fronts start out as a quiet high pitched squeak or squeal. When swerving a little side to side when driving down the street, it would be worse in one direction than the other. If it is a loud, lower pitched squeak and only occurs when going over bumps, it may be in the suspension.

If you replaced the forward of the two rear lower control arms (toe arms), did you have an alignment done? The inner mounting bolt has an offset head and washer to adjust the toe.
              I put in new upper control arms, Megan toe arms, and some aluminum lower control arms on the rear... All with new bushings and everything, so I'm confused to what this noise is coming from.
              I have not had an alignment done yet, and I really need to. I'm kinda waiting on money to go get the lifetime alignment deal from Firestone, but I need to get camber kits for the front and back.

Also, I got a front subframe and steering rack from the yard today.
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
              X