Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The stock scissor jack is my favorite thing ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stock scissor jack is my favorite thing ever.

Seriously. I've used this thing for so many things other than just lifting the car to change a tire! It is currently providing assistance in installing my Miata's new frame rails. I plan on using it to add additional bracing to my front porch later this year.
    I've used it to apply torque to a ratchet that I couldn't get a good angle on. I've used it to lift suspension components so I could change or line up various things (shocks, UCAs, etc...)

I love the stock jack. Honda gave me one of my favorite tools for free!

I still recall how impressive these Honda jacks are especially compared with the horrible GM jacks from the 60's & 70's. Remember those vertical ratchet jacks that were so unstable and dangerous!?

A small tab fitted into a small slot in a flimsy bumper... what could possibly go wrong?
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
      I still recall how impressive these Honda jacks are especially compared with the horrible GM jacks from the 60's & 70's. Remember those vertical ratchet jacks that were so unstable and dangerous!?

A small tab fitted into a small slot in a flimsy bumper... what could possibly go wrong?
      I remember using those. Waiting for a bumper to fall off, lol. And they were sooo heavy!

Edit: Deev, ever used a VW scissor jack?
      Last edited by Raf99; 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        I remember using those. Waiting for a bumper to fall off, lol. And they were sooo heavy!

Edit: Deev, ever used a VW scissor jack?
        Once, while changing a tire on a new beetle. I hate that I liked it. I never wanted to like anything about a new beetle!

Comment

I had 2 terrible OEM scissor jacks. On one the base bent, and both had issues where they became cross-threaded and impossible to adjust any more (even though I greased them up). This current one I have is fine, but I've had a Harbor Freight low-pro jack for the past 3 years now, which is easily the best $80 on tools I've spent.

Comment

I just did bearings on a Jeep, and it had an orange booster base thing for the scissor jack to sit on. Pretty good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Once, while changing a tire on a new beetle. I hate that I liked it. I never wanted to like anything about a new beetle!
              LOL, that was so me! GF had a 09 Rabbit, took the jack out and was like WTF is this shit?? 1min later I was like oooooo this is cool and works really well! Better than the accord one.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                I had 2 terrible OEM scissor jacks. On one the base bent, and both had issues where they became cross-threaded and impossible to adjust any more (even though I greased them up). This current one I have is fine, but I've had a Harbor Freight low-pro jack for the past 3 years now, which is easily the best $80 on tools I've spent.
                I splurged on the aluminum one...this is a must have tool for anybody doing DIY work. I need to do maintenance on mines now that I think about it. It is my second favorite tool next to my electric impact. Next, I'll need some good ramps for quick oil changes.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I used my friend's WRX scissor jack to lift a bath tub over some tile when it was jammed in the bathroom at his house. It was exceedingly useful.

I used to use the scissor jack from my STi to lift the LCA of my Tacoma when I'd swap over my winter tires. The OEM hydraulic jack the truck came with didn't have enough height to get my front tire off of the ground with the lift installed, so I'd push up the LCA with the screw jack.

This is what I've upgraded to, which has enough height to get the Tacoma off the ground from the frame, as well as fit under the sides of the Vette (and fit under the front if I drive up onto 2x4s).

Harbor Freight Long Reach 2 Ton Jack

The disappointing thing is their 20% off coupons don't apply to hydraulic jacks.

Comment

Useful wedged in with 4x4 bracing to keep pressure on unibody while I beat it straight with a sledge.
                    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

damn that if you think that's bad you should see the volkswaggon jacks or the mercedes jacks its like its missing the other side make one wrong mistake and its over. That car will fall on you or whatever .

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                        damn that if you think that's bad you should see the volkswaggon jacks or the mercedes jacks its like its missing the other side make one wrong mistake and its over. That car will fall on you or whatever .
                        It actually works pretty well, surprisingly.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                          It actually works pretty well, surprisingly.
                          I dont mean to be ignorant but how in the hell that can stand up to a heavy ass car?

Comment

Geometry. With weight on the arm at that specific angle, it's as stable as if it had two legs. Weird, and hardly as useful as the Honda scissor jack for other things, but for lifting a POS VW, it's perfect! That crank is fantastic.

Comment

totally forgot about those. The hardest part of using them is cranking the slack until you start lifting the car

The handle on it is amazing however, and all the other manufacturers should take notes.

Comment

Working...
                              X