Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: 4040 proportioning valve

original source

with a rear disc swap, everyone always asked me if i replaced my proportioning valve. though i feel it is not needed (i ran with my stock prop valve for over 2 years with no problems), i replaced it with a 4040 valve this week. this was due to a prelude vtec caliper swap problem that i had, which can be found here.

you will NOT need to transfer over the bracket off the accord valve and onto the integra valve. you will NOT need a 30T tamper-proof torx bit and a bench vice. see the original source link above for further elaboration. it is easier to remove the stock prop valve with the MC off the car. installation is very straightforward. 2 12mm bolts hold the prop valve against the chassis.

EDIT: again i would highly recommend to NOT take apart the prop valve just to transfer over the bracket. mine leaked after a few months and i had to swap over a newer valve. i kept the original bracket attached, so it's not bolted onto the chassis. it still holds with all those lines attached to it.

i highly recommend having a 10mm flare nut wrench.

the stock one:
    you can't really see it but it's stamped "3030" (the original source link had "2025")

from a 91 integra RS:

off the car:

closer:

on the car: notice the two fittings up top are for the MC

this fixed my mushy braking problem after my prelude vtec caliper swap. the braking is also more balanced and controlled. the difference is actually very minimal but i guess every little bit helps. this swap gave me a chance to flush out the old brake fluid and install new pads. this could be why the braking is better . however i believe due to my circumstances that assessing the results of this mod is biased. in other words, your results may vary.
    Last edited by timmy0tool; 12-12-2008, 02:18 PM.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

well u beat me to the diy. i was going to preform this in about a week. or 2 weeks top. well thanks for doing it now i will be certain of how i do it.

Comment

I pulled a prop valve from a 1st generation integra that had rear disc brakes. I was looking at it tonight and noticed it is stamped 3540 on it. Should I put it on my Accord or keep searching for the 4040. Because while at the junkyard the handful of DA integras that were there had ABS.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
        I pulled a prop valve from a 1st generation integra that had rear disc brakes. I was looking at it tonight and noticed it is stamped 3540 on it. Should I put it on my Accord or keep searching for the 4040. Because while at the junkyard the handful of DA integras that were there had ABS.

You could slap it on there... Probably better than the stock one. But if you can wait then wait.

Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

I have the acura legend calipers that I will be putting on my car next pay period after I order the parts for the roh conversion so will I need this valve? Im putting the legend calipers on the front to just upgrade the front I already have rear wheel disc as I have a 92 ex.
          Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
          Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
          JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by slick
            I have the acura legend calipers that I will be putting on my car next pay period after I order the parts for the roh conversion so will I need this valve? Im putting the legend calipers on the front to just upgrade the front I already have rear wheel disc as I have a 92 ex.
            You cannot put this valve on. Cars with ABS do not have a proportioning valve, instead the ABS pump has one integrated. You can remove the ABS though by getting all the LX hard lines and the 4040 valve.

Anyways, I found out when taking the bracket off the 4040 valve it came apart and the fluid inside leaked out. Did this happen to anyone else? Either way, it means that I am going to be doing a lot of bleeding.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

updated the first post for pics!

i would highly recommend to NOT take apart the prop valve just to transfer over the bracket. mine leaked after a few months and i had to swap over a newer valve. i kept the original bracket attached, so it's not bolted onto the chassis. it still holds with all those lines attached to it.
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Nice write up Timmy. Saved me a lot of future headaches on this, as I planned to upgrade to Prelude VTEC front brakes when the current ones wear out.

My plans are the following for my 91 Accord EX sedan non-ABS 5spd:

- Upgrade stock front brakes to Prelude VTEC
                - Install Powerslot front rotors
                - Install Hawk HPS pads
                - Install 40/40 prop valve
                - Install Technafit SS brake lines front & rear
                - Replace brake fluid & bleed

** I will retain rear drum brakes for now, were restored not long ago. **
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

i swapped the bracket over on to the 4040 prop valve.
                  i found that the brackets were on different sides

Comment

Bump. Doing this soon.
                    2013 Honda Fit Sport Alabaster Silver Metallic GE8
                    2013 Accord Sport Modern Steel Metallic CR2

CB9 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...hlight=hostile
                    CR2 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197787
                    GE8 http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199289

Comment

ahhh so thats where its marked on the valve

im going to check and see what a prelude S is rated at, since it has the same sized rear brakes as an accord

Comment

Got my 4040 few month ago but too lazy to drop it in my CB.
                        Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I have a DA proportioning valve at the house, I need to see what it has stamped on it. I really wanna delete ABS, its a huge eyesore and my ABS light comes on randomly all the time anyway. Did this on a DA years ago and went round and round with fittings, PITA! What has everyone done with the master cyl? Keep the original that is setup for ABS or replace with a non-abs master cyl?

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

I'v been running the ABS master cylinder without abs for about 8 years now with no problems. It's actualy a larger m/c. L8r
                            Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                            01-01-2019

Comment

So you cant bolt the bracket to the chassis at all, do the hard lines hold it in place or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X