Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question

So I ripped off my muffler the other day and have not been able to fix it and was wondering if it is bad for the car to be driving without the muffler? Thanks for the help!

Check out my MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189190

No its not too bad on the car, but replace it ASAP. muffler is for your sound... probably a little back pressure too.

Comment

Your neighbors likely aren't happy with you and you're more likely to get stopped by a cop.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Okay but it's not bad for the engine or anything is my question?

Comment

Translation:

I plan on leaving it like this despite the opinions of others or how it effects them.

Yes, it can affect your engine. On the day to day drive, probably not, but if you're ever on it then there could effects from not having any back pressure. This has been known to burn up exhaust valves but mostly it can make the car run poorly. Likely not any permanent damage.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

No engine needs back pressure. That is a myth. One that simply will not die.

An engine running without a header, or even with an open header, could burn valves due to the fact that there is no exhaust gas velocity... there's simply not enough pipe for the gas to flow, so it just sprays out with no order... basically, like blowing through a straw, or blowing a "raspberry" with your lips. The straw won't hurt your lips a bit, but they'll start to sting a bit if you keep making that farty sound.

If just the muffler has been removed, leaving the majority of the piping intact, no damage will come of it. Not to the engine, anyway. You COULD find yourself getting tickets for having no muffler. You could find that your neighbors hate you, especially if you're coming or going at odd hours (and those same neighbors might be pissed enough to put a brick through your window, slash your tires, or key your paint...)

The most important concern is safety. Your muffler takes your engine's poisonous exhaust gasses and deposits them safely behind the vehicle. Without the muffler, that poisonous gas is being unloaded under the car... where you're sitting. The car is not airtight, and that gas is seeping into the car. If your windows are closed, that could be dangerous... even deadly.
            Additionally, I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable with hot exhaust gas exiting just under my gas tank. One unexpected fireball backfire, while unlikely with your stock engine, could make a mess of things.

Comment

Thank you deevergote, I am not going to drive much longer without one, I just wanted to make sure I would mess anything up while I decide what I am going to put back on it. I am a college student so this is my only car.

Comment

I'd install a new one as soon as possible. Even if it's just a cheapie one from your local muffler shop. If you're totally broke, then at least have them weld a pipe on there to take the exhaust from under the car.

My friend Ron had an old Blazer years ago. The muffler fell off, as with your car. He just drove with the window open, so it was fine. One day, my girlfriend and I were in the back seat, and Ron and our friend Alli were in the front.
                After about 15 minutes of driving, my girlfriend put her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes. I was feeling sleepy myself. I looked up and saw Alli with her head against the window. I smacked her in the head (we all liked to smack that girl...) and said "Ron, I think Alli is dead!"
                Ron, of course, had the window down. He was fine. We got out of the truck, felt sick, and woke up. It was scary when we realized what had happened... and what could've happened (Alli wasn't dead... we joke about it now.)

Comment

If the noise does not bother you go ahead. If you lived in Cali I would fix it ASAP. I would rather just get another one from the Junkyard or go to a exhaust shop to custom build you one.
                  MY MRT
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178936

Comment

Working...
                  X