CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

Tdub90 is cool... so far.
What Master Cylinder

i did some searching. and i couldnt find the exact answer i was looking for... i have a 92 ex.. my abs is deleted... what master cylinder do i use... the abs one or the non abs one?... i couldnt find a straight answer.
Tdub90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
DjM_coupe
CB7tuner Member

DjM_coupe is cool... so far.
Non abs I'm assuming...you don't have it so why would you use the one that has it?

DjM_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
I've got a prelude VTEC master cylinder from a 94 VTEC in there. It uses a larger 1" bore vs. 15/16" for better pressure.

I too did an ABS delete on my car since the modulator was leaking. So I used LX/DX front hardlines going to each of the front wheels. Thing is, those hardlines both use the same smaller fitting where the EX/VTEC MC uses a larger one in back. So you'll have to cut/reflare the rear one for a larger size to fit into the VTEC MC.

Pretty easy, it was my first time and I did it fine. Just rent Autozone's reflaring tool and buy a brake line cutter for 6 bucks and buy the correct M12 fittings for the brake line in back (4 bucks for a package)

Also don't forget to add a 40/40 Integra Proportioning valve in place of the ABS stuff since you've got rear discs

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 292k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
89' Accord SEi

Last edited by Losiracer2; 07-08-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
kinguin7
CB7tuner Member

kinguin7 is cool... so far.
Depends HOW it was deleted. We don't know what's in your car, it might be a complete ABS setup with the computer unplugged, or a complete replacement with the non-ABS parts.

Also, a larger master cylinder bore decreases pressure/increases volume.
kinguin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinguin7 View Post
Depends HOW it was deleted. We don't know what's in your car, it might be a complete ABS setup with the computer unplugged, or a complete replacement with the non-ABS parts.

Also, a larger master cylinder bore decreases pressure/increases volume.
yeah whoops thats what I meant, I upgraded to bigger 2 Piston Legend GS front brakes so I needed something with more fluid displacement for those larger pistons

member's ride thread
89' Accord SEi
Old 07-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

here is whats in my car... completely gutted ABS no modulator.. no computer.. no wiring for it at all.. i de-pinned it from the main harness.. i have some ghetto rigged. front brake lines. thanks to previous owner.. right now.. i have the abs MC... its leaking bad .. so i know it needs replaced...... so i should buy the MC from a 94 prelude Vtec?.. and said parts.....and besides a junkyard. cause i dont know where they are around here..... where do i buy an integra 40/40 proportioning valve?

Thank you for your help
Old 07-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdub90 View Post
here is whats in my car... completely gutted ABS no modulator.. no computer.. no wiring for it at all.. i de-pinned it from the main harness.. i have some ghetto rigged. front brake lines. thanks to previous owner.. right now.. i have the abs MC... its leaking bad .. so i know it needs replaced...... so i should buy the MC from a 94 prelude Vtec?.. and said parts.....and besides a junkyard. cause i dont know where they are around here..... where do i buy an integra 40/40 proportioning valve?

Thank you for your help
I just got a remanned MC from Autozone for 39 bucks. It's a Nissin Reman so it started out its life with good quality parts. It's got a lifetime on it too so if it fails in 50-60k, thats fine, I'll put another in, its not that difficult to do.

the 4040 valve I got from my pick N pull. 5 bucks I think is what it cost me. At Acura dealers they're about 130 new. But scope out any early 90s-late 90s integra with rear disc w/o ABS and you'll find what you need. Shouldn't be that hard to find. I've already found a couple that I've bought and sold within the last couple months.

member's ride thread
89' Accord SEi
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
kinguin7
CB7tuner Member

kinguin7 is cool... so far.
Use the internet to find some U-pulls, by far the cheapest method of getting things.

I don't know about the prelude MC specifically, but I would stick with ABS parts.
kinguin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinguin7 View Post
Use the internet to find some U-pulls, by far the cheapest method of getting things.

I don't know about the prelude MC specifically, but I would stick with ABS parts.
The Prelude VTEC came with ABS standard. It'll work just fine.

member's ride thread
89' Accord SEi
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

ok thanks guys.. and right now i cant get a 40/ 40 proportioning valve.. i dont have a way to get it.. so im only running on my front brakes.. cause one of my rear lines blew.. have to buy a new one
Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
FamousFreak
CB7tuner Member

FamousFreak is cool... so far.
I just deleted mine.
I had problems using the non abs mc.
You should re-flare the line in order to reuse the abs mc.
Thats what i had to do and it works great now.
FamousFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

i just got back from pepboys.. i bought.. the 94 prelude vtec MC.. i bought a new rear brake line... and i bought the bouble flare tool and tube cutter.... i asked about the M12 fittings and they dont know what im talking about.... does anyone have a part number or know another name for it?.... and again thanks guys
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
oneoffaccord
Accord of the Month: November 2006

oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends! oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to oneoffaccord
if you want you can run a integra master which is 1" but you gotta use the integra booster. other than that you can do what others posted on here
oneoffaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
oneoffaccord
Accord of the Month: November 2006

oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends! oneoffaccord seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to oneoffaccord
Quote:
i just got back from pepboys.. i bought.. the 94 prelude vtec MC.. i bought a new rear brake line... and i bought the bouble flare tool and tube cutter.... i asked about the M12 fittings and they dont know what im talking about.... does anyone have a part number or know another name for it?.... and again thanks guys
your best bet is to find a prelude master in the junkyard and cut it and use it. Autoparts stores wont have it since its not a normal thread compared to 10mm
oneoffaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Autozone had the brake line fittings in a small pack of 4

member's ride thread
89' Accord SEi
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #16
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

lol i guess ill have to break and try autozone... i get mad discounts at pepboys... can the m12 fitting go by another name? just wondering
Old 07-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Granite CB7
Contributing Member

Granite CB7 is very helpful Granite CB7 is very helpful
^Hold up. You said that your CB came setup with an ABS M/C, if that's true, then the Prelude VTEC M/C is a direct swap. You will not need to cut and reflare anything if you already are set up for an ABS M/C. You should double check which 1 you have. Is the front flare fitting on the M/C IDENTICAL to the rear flare fitting? If yes, non-abs, if no, abs m/c. Front fitting would be smaller (metric 10 size) vs rear fitting is metric 12 size for ABS. Do not cut anything yet.

EDIT: Just for reference purposes, on an ABS CB, front m/c fitting is metric 10 X 1.00 pitch. rear m/c fitting is metric 12 X 1.00, different sizes. Now, on a NON-ABS CB, both m/c fittings front and rear are metric 10 X 1.00. This was prob. designed to prevent mixing of parts on accident.

Last edited by Granite CB7; 07-13-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Granite CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #18
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite CB7 View Post
^Hold up. You said that your CB came setup with an ABS M/C, if that's true, then the Prelude VTEC M/C is a direct swap. You will not need to cut and reflare anything if you already are set up for an ABS M/C. You should double check which 1 you have. Is the front flare fitting on the M/C IDENTICAL to the rear flare fitting? If yes, non-abs, if no, abs m/c. Front fitting would be smaller (metric 10 size) vs rear fitting is metric 12 size for ABS. Do not cut anything yet.

EDIT: Just for reference purposes, on an ABS CB, front m/c fitting is metric 10 X 1.00 pitch. rear m/c fitting is metric 12 X 1.00, different sizes. Now, on a NON-ABS CB, both m/c fittings front and rear are metric 10 X 1.00. This was prob. designed to prevent mixing of parts on accident.
yeah he has to reflare the rear fitting for an M12 for the VTEC MC. No biggie. If wors comes to worst and you can't find any, just go to a JY and snip one off a ABS equipped CB7 and you'll have one. But I'd recommend a new one just because they tend to be hard to remove once installed for 20+ years on a car.

member's ride thread
89' Accord SEi
Old 07-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
Granite CB7
Contributing Member

Granite CB7 is very helpful Granite CB7 is very helpful
^here's what I'm saying, going off of what the OP said: he stated that his 92 EX still has the ABS m/c in his car, meaning the reflare was already done. The ONLY reason he would need to reflare to M12 would be if he had a non-abs m/c setup. For example, I have a 91 SE, came w/ abs, has the proper abs m/c, I could literally bolt in a prelude vtec m/c w/ no mods at all, direct fit, since both are abs. See what I'm saying?

OP should still def. confirm what m/c the car is setup for though. The info is on here but I'll throw this in here too, mixing and matching non-abs/abs m/c's and boosters is a bad idea (diff. pushrod length I believe) keep them as matching pair only.
Granite CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #20
Tdub90
CB7tuner Member

yes.. my CB came with abs.. still has an abs M/C.. just from the prelude Vtec... so what i did was bought everything i might need... and i dropped my car off at a shop.. told them the story.. they said they can do it.. and add all new brake lines... thank you guys for the help

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: