No announcement yet.

Who's got some interesting DIY ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washer fluid is water and alcohol, and cheap, so when I spill it everywhere filling up the tank it's not a big deal. It'll evaporate. Unlike oil
    1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Heated windshield washer fluid would be great too. I think some cars have this, maybe lexus.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Heated windshield washer fluid would be great too. I think some cars have this, maybe lexus.
        I was looking for Hotshot, which was the original system for heating wiper fluid. Looks like they went out of business.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/g...ensive-recall/

Anyways, found a copycat system on Amazon. Price is good too compared to the old Hotshot systems.

https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT.../dp/B0034GW1WW

It's a neat idea. Maybe if I could settle on a winter beater for more than one season, I'd try it out.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
          I was looking for Hotshot, which was the original system for heating wiper fluid. Looks like they went out of business.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/08/g...ensive-recall/

Anyways, found a copycat system on Amazon. Price is good too compared to the old Hotshot systems.

https://www.amazon.com/AlphaTherm-AT.../dp/B0034GW1WW

It's a neat idea. Maybe if I could settle on a winter beater for more than one season, I'd try it out.
          Interesting. What a great thing to buy, it would also solve the issue of my wipers icing up and not being flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
            Washer fluid is water and alcohol, and cheap, so when I spill it everywhere filling up the tank it's not a big deal. It'll evaporate. Unlike oil
            It also works great as cheap paint thinner!
            CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Has anyone tried to install a rear view mirror that has a temp sensor and direction screen in it?

Also, for that intake, I think AEM has already made the V2 intake which uses two tubes, basically a dual chamber design that might help with those cold temps.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                Has anyone tried to install a rear view mirror that has a temp sensor and direction screen in it?
                Just installed one yesterday They also come with auto-dimming feature. Requires a bit if customization to mount properly in a CB.
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-22-2017, 11:52 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Vermonter View Post
                  I made a warm air intake for my old Honda Element SC. We get 6 months of cold weather where I live and the warm air definitely makes a difference in the winter. The engine will warm up faster and in return, so will the inside of your car. Also a warm engine is better than a cold engine for a few reasons. No ragrets.
                  How did you regulate the temperature?
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                    Just installed one yesterday They also come with auto-dimming feature. Requires a bit if customization to mount properly in a CB.
                    make a DIY! or at least tell me what car its from. Although I've got pretty dark tint on my rear windshield, so the lights don't bother me too much.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                      I noticed there were very few DIYs listed and so I recently put up a few posts but guess these are too simplistic so not seeing much response...

I'm working on adding USB ports to the seat heater knock-out plugs in the console but its not quite there yet.

Personally, I'd love to see the following:

1. A steering wheel radio control conversion from an Acura Legend of the same generation.

2. An overhead map light with HomeLink controls (I don't think a combo unit with sunglass holder is doable since there isn't sufficient depth).

3. A repair guide for dismantling and fixing the interior sun-visors.

4. Retrofit the wiper delay function to include variable intermittent delay.

5. Power antenna lockout switch so when you plan to use your head-unit to play something other than AM-FM it isn't necessary to run the antenna up/down each time you turn it on.

Just had an epiphany while removing the center console... While I don't own a phone with wireless quick charge capability it shouldn't be hard to Diy a Qi Wireless Charging Pad under the black plastic cup holder platform at the front?
                      Last edited by hiptech; 02-24-2017, 08:32 AM.
                      My Collection:
                      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                        Just had an epiphany while removing the center console... While I don't own a phone with wireless quick charge capability it shouldn't be hard to Diy a Qi Wireless Charging Pad under the black plastic cup holder platform at the front?
                        Good idea, but i doubt the phone would pick up through the plastic as it is magnetic. I use to have one and it wouldn't do it through most materials. But integrating a USB plug into the car is easy enough. Especially for the center console where the filler plugs are. But one would need some kind of an adapter to convert the power for it.

Comment

A charging pad could be integrated into the center console, perhaps. A sharp blade and a little fiberglass will go a long way! That's a pretty cool idea.

I thought about integrating a touchpad into the center console, to be used with a non-touch (or even a touch screen) mini monitor in the dash.

This thread has really taken off. I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                            Good idea, but i doubt the phone would pick up through the plastic as it is magnetic. I use to have one and it wouldn't do it through most materials. But integrating a USB plug into the car is easy enough. Especially for the center console where the filler plugs are. But one would need some kind of an adapter to convert the power for it.

I'm not sure how but some OEMs are already doing this on some new models so it must be doable. But since the tech is new it may be a proprietary design right now. I'd bet in a few months some Chinese knock-offs may begin showing up on EB...

BTW I'm already working on installing USB plugs into the console plug blanks. I've had these for some time but I'm remodeling our house so the cars are a lower priority. When I get this done I'll post a DIY...
                            Last edited by hiptech; 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM.
                            My Collection:
                            93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                            00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                            04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                              How did you regulate the temperature?
                              Didn't see a need to.
                              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote;3266525]Nice weather is finally approaching in my area (mid-60s and sunny this weekend!) That's making me itchy to find some cool DIY projects for my car!
                                I love to eat on the couch!

QUOTE]

Hey, send me a valve cover I still owe you some talent, just cover the shipping
                                "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                                X