Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EGR Ports using Pipe Plug Replacement Sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EGR Ports using Pipe Plug Replacement Sizes?

I got a 92 accord ex coupe and i am going to install some pipe plugs in the egr ports and have watched the diy on here for the egr port cleaning. It sais to get 1/2 with 20 tpi which is fine threads. The problem is i can't find a store that has them in 20tpi. Even Fasteners ink don't have them. Is 14 tpi ok to use for this. I am assuming it is cause it is going to have to be but wanted to ask yall.

the 14tpi should be no problem, since it's a custom installation the thread choice is really up to you anyway. Just make sure you get a matching tap, of course.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      the 14tpi should be no problem, since it's a custom installation the thread choice is really up to you anyway. Just make sure you get a matching tap, of course.
      Ok thanks. I prefer machine threads over coarse but oh well.The tpi on my tap is 13 and on plug it will be 14. Strange how my tap is a 13 tpi as that's not the standard tpi for that size. Whatever though am sure it will work.

Comment

^just from googling, it looks like 1/2-14 is pipe thread (NPT) and 1/2-13 is machine thread. I know you've mentioned pipe plugs afew times on here, so I kinda assumed you had your heart set on pipe thread. I would suggest on waiting til you have the correct tap + the fasteners that you want. Are you doing all 7 ports or just the top 6? W/ the IM yanked I did all 7 with 1/2-13, that size was based on the larger 7th plug that is facing the d/s shock tower. I used set screws wrapped with teflon tape and I've had zero issues. I also more recently did a set of runners for a friend using hollow hex plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
          ^just from googling, it looks like 1/2-14 is pipe thread (NPT) and 1/2-13 is machine thread. I know you've mentioned pipe plugs afew times on here, so I kinda assumed you had your heart set on pipe thread. I would suggest on waiting til you have the correct tap + the fasteners that you want. Are you doing all 7 ports or just the top 6? W/ the IM yanked I did all 7 with 1/2-13, that size was based on the larger 7th plug that is facing the d/s shock tower. I used set screws wrapped with teflon tape and I've had zero issues. I also more recently did a set of runners for a friend using hollow hex plugs.
          I am doing it while on car. Top 6 to start. I thought 20 tpi was machine thread and 14 or 13 was coarse. The two 1/2 inch taps i have are designated as "1/2 by 13 NC" and "1/2 by 20 NF". NC is coarse and NF is fine. The plugs pitch i do see available are designated as 14 tpi. Am a bit confused. Having one more thread i just assumed was cause the male end needs it. I hate to assume anything though and am a bit unsure now.

Comment

Ok i c the differences after googling this crap. NPT means taper threads and nc is str8t fit. Well the tap is a loaner so guess i need to find matching plugs somewhere. gosh thanks guys. I almost effd this up.

Comment

ok i got 1/2 inch plugs and they cover almost entire egr port. This cant be right. I didn't realize until now that npt is different from nc in actual size. 1/2 14 npt is alot bigger than 1/2 13 nc. So i got a 1/2 13 tpi tap. I guess i have to go back to store again and try to figure this out. This american measurement system sucks. Too bad Jimmy Carter failed in his metric conversion. Would anyone happen to know what size pipe thread plug i need that converts to what i need. NPT to NC i guess.
              Last edited by zedjr10; 04-26-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

^ugh man how did I not spot that, 1/2" NPT is freaking huge! Sorry about that, I kept thinking of my setup w/ the 1/2" machine thread. 1/4"-18 NPT should be right up your alley if you still want to do pipe thread or just continue on w/ the 1/2"-13
                http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-pipe.htm

Comment

^ugh man how did I not spot that, 1/2" NPT is freaking huge! Sorry about that, I kept thinking of my setup w/ the 1/2" machine thread. 1/4"-18 NPT should be right up your alley if you still want to do pipe thread or just continue on w/ the 1/2"-13
                  http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-pipe.htm
                  Pipe thread or otherwise doesn't matter to me which one. I wanted to keep as close to the tutorial as possible was the only reason for me to want something this size or not. I didn't realize all the fkd up differences in our american measurement system. Gosh how did we ever make it to moon without a few bolts falling off cause they were npt instead of nc idk. Anyways i understand all this sizing now i think. Am going to ace and get whatever pipe plugs they have that will work then am going to get a matching tap. So 1/4"-18 for npt will work or 1/2 inch nc or nf for the plug. I will just have to adjust my drill sizes for hole depending on what size plug i get.

Comment

Ok i got 1/4 18 npt pipe plugs and matching tap(am assuming matching). I think the matching hole size i need is 7/16 for the 1/4 npt. Is this correct? How did yall find 13nc and 20nf pipe plugs. As even the fastener store itself said it don't carry these.

Comment

Yeah 7/16" sounds about right but does the packaging for the tap/on the tap itself say the correct drill size? I technically am using 1/2-13 set screws and I've even seen people use plain bolts too. As long as you don't have a vacuum leak when you're all done, it can be whatever you want

Comment

Yeah 7/16" sounds about right but does the packaging for the tap/on the tap itself say the correct drill size? I technically am using 1/2-13 set screws and I've even seen people use plain bolts too. As long as you don't have a vacuum leak when you're all done, it can be whatever you want
                        I have did a tap before but it was 30 years ago. I know it is pretty simple process but i am old and feeble(lol). The packing sais 7/16. It's hard to get precise access to those ports until i have taken the fitv and iacv off. Not sure if i need to take the fuel rail off or not. I do have one question of concern. The plugs i have are sealed at the end of plug. The part the goes into the im first. There are also plugs where seal is at the other end. Does this matter at all. I thought sealing it as close to the actual flow was better. But i have no ideal really. Just an assumption.

Comment

I got tap but cant find slide hammer to rent except huge ones(5lbs) that wont work. I did find something that seems perfect. Even has sheet metal screws with it. I don't want to buy it unless i am sure it will work as i can't return it. Here is a link for it at autozone http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-an...ller/61760_0_0 .

Comment

LOL I use that exact one for all my egr port jobs

Comment

LOL I use that exact one for all my egr port jobs
                              ok cool. Seemed like a good fit. Be funny if after all this work i put into this car someone steals it again or it gets wrecked. It is cool driving such an old car that drives so well now.

Comment

Working...
                              X