Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some decent and affordable height and dampening adjustable coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some decent and affordable height and dampening adjustable coilovers?

I'm looking for some decent, affordable coilovers. Both height and dampening adjustable. Unfortuantely, this list does not tell me which kits are in height *and* dampening adjustable...

Can someone tell me which are height and dampening adjustable so I can do some more research in prices?

I'm willing to spend anywhere from 600 to 1000 dollars for a complete kit.
    Last edited by yh61r; 09-22-2017, 12:19 PM.

Literally all coilovers in that list are height adjustable. Only a handful are damping adjustable.

In no particular order of recommendation.

The KSport coilovers are a good value IF you can get them below MSRP ($500-$600). Would not pay full price for them.

A great combo is Koni Yellows with Ground Control sleeves. This would give you the height adjustability with damping.
    An alternative is to use the H&R Cup Kit with Ground Control Sleeves since H&R uses Koni yellows as their dampers.
    Total price would put you in the $1000 or so range. Do some shopping around and can get it cheaper.

AMR Engineering, same with KWs, you would have to justify the price based on what you are using the vehicle for. For a daily driver... really couldn't see putting them on... kinda overkill. They are totally worth the price though.

LOW on my list would be the F&F, D2, and Megan.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Once again, thanks Jon.

Do you by and chance know which kits are dampening adjustable, too?

Comment

Jon nailed it.

I personally run a Koni/GC setup, and love it. Its closer to the upper end of your budget, but well worth it, in my opinion. $600 will get you and entry level coilover without damping....with questionable quality control and reliability issues. These same brands often have another model with damping for a bit more, but you really don't get any more quality with that added cost, just another adjustment feature. Better to spend a bit extra, and get something that will last, and more importantly perform well.

Koni/GC work so well together, because they are two bona-fide suspension companies producing two top-notch quality products in conjunction with each other. Most of the suspension setups out there today are not made by "real" suspension companies with decades of industry experience.

For Koni shocks, its best to shop around to get the best price. If you can get a set in the $500 area, you got a good deal. Tunersports, Autoanything, THMotorsports, eBay, just look around. And as long as you buy from an authorized dealer, keep your receipt, and you'll have a lifetime warranty for the shocks. Koni is REALLY good with their warranty too. If you take care of them though, you can expect over 60k miles of use, if not more.

For Ground Control setups, I always recommend to buy them from the seller undercaroutfitter on eBay. He has the lowest price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4510-02-Grou...9UXUe2&vxp=mtr

When ordering, just remember that Ground Control makes a kit specifically for Koni shocks, you need that one. The beauty of the Koni/GC setup is its versatility. You can choose from a huge number of spring setups to suit your individual needs. This is the main reason I recommend this certain seller. He lets you swap out to whatever spring rate setup you want for no addition cost. As far as spring rates go, I definitely recommend swapping them out. The standard "off the shelf" springs the kit comes with are pretty soft and more comparable to lowering springs. A good setup I always recommend is a 550lb front, and 450lb rear springs. This is a good mix between a stiff performance setup, and a softer comfort setup. Plus, its a very balanced setup, unlike a lot of the cheaper brands with have a very front biased spring rate ratio.

Another piece I recommend, which can always be added later, are FFC extended top hats. They give back a good 1.5" of shock travel lost by lowering the car. So you are less likely to bottom out/hit your bump stops, and overall ride quality increases with the shock performing more in their optimal range.

Comment

Corweena, I'm glad you mentioned the GC kit needs to be specific to the damper. And for some reason the Koni kit is always more expensive...

As for damping adjustability, as mentioned several times, the Koni yellows are.
          KW and AMR use them as well.

I don't think any of the TEIN kits are.
          F&F Type 2s are.
          Megan uses a damping adjustable strut as well.

I'll post some more when I get a chance (busy today for some reason).

Comment

So let me get this straight;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231053179247

+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331164249280

Will give me best bang for buck (according to this), height and damper adjustability?

Comment

Originally posted by yh61r View Post
              So let me get this straight;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/231053179247

+

https://www.ebay.com/itm/331164249280

Will give me best bang for buck (according to this), height and damper adjustability?
              No, you need the Koni Sport (Yellows).

https://www.tunersports.com/koni-spo...-2_p19682.html

Comment

And don't forget the running rebate on Konis right now!

Koni 8041-1185LSport x 1
                Koni 8041-1185RSport x 1
                Koni 8041-1168SP4 x 2
                Ground Control 4510.02

That is one of the best bang for your bucks sub $1000.

Comment

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
                  No, you need the Koni Sport (Yellows).

https://www.tunersports.com/koni-spo...-2_p19682.html
                  Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  And don't forget the running rebate on Konis right now!

Koni 8041-1185LSport x 1
                  Koni 8041-1185RSport x 1
                  Koni 8041-1168SP4 x 2
                  Ground Control 4510.02

That is one of the best bang for your bucks sub $1000.
                  Thanks guys. More questions haha. I just did a lap on the Nürburgring, and it was fantastic. I woud like to do it more often. Would these products suffice for an occasional trackday?

Comment

Most definitely! And more so than many other setups out there.

Comment

You recommended me 550lb front and 450lb rear stiffness earlier. However my Accord has a lighter 2L engine. What specifications would you recommend for my weight?

Also, I think the best deal I can get is €612/$718... And that excluding the springs!
                      Last edited by yh61r; 09-27-2017, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I don't like suggesting this as this is not in a for sale section, but let me check and see what I can get the whole package for shipped to your location. I ship internationally all the time, so it's not an issue. I'll PM you with details.

550lb for the front is fine as the 2.0L weight difference isn't all that much, if any.

I'd also suggest looking into a anti-sway bars, strut bars, and things like that to improve the stiffness of the chassis for better feel and control.

Comment

Wow thanks a lot! Can't wait! I'm from the Netherlands, by the way. Zip code 4337.

Comment

Why do you need dampening adjustment? You likely don't know how to set it correctly if you have to ask here for kits.

Tein street basics work great and go super low
                            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                              Tein street basics work great and go super low
                              Tein's are soft, and not a very aggressive "performance" setup. And also, they are not meant to go super low....by running them all the way down you risk damaging them. They are really only meant to lower the car 2-2.5" max.

Comment

Working...
                              X