All wagon speedo's go to 140? and dash question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All wagon speedo's go to 140? and dash question

I recently bought a 93 Wagon EX. Did a vin check it's a north american USA EX model.

The speedo goes to 130. Is something off or replaced here?

I also noticed the dash is noticeably 'bluer' than my 91 Sedan (also blue). The sedan has a darker tint to it. Typical?

Anyone?

Do all wagons come with a 140 speedometer or no?

Comment

If you purchased a wagon with a 130mph speedometer in the US, then the cluster has been replaced. This also carries odometer implications as that was likely not changed to reflect accurate mileage. Is there a deviation between the mileage on the title and the mileage on the odometer?
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        If you purchased a wagon with a 130mph speedometer in the US, then the cluster has been replaced. This also carries odometer implications as that was likely not changed to reflect accurate mileage. Is there a deviation between the mileage on the title and the mileage on the odometer?
        That's what I was worried about. Though I don't think anything too shady was going on since the odometer is at ~197,000 miles, not something really low.

Title and odometer are the same. Engine (f22a6) appears to be in good condition but I have not compression tested it yet. VIN on the dashboard matches the VIN on the sticker on the...I think it was drivers side rear door.

Any other vin locations to check?

Rest of the car is in really good shape...no rust I tapped around the wheel wells in the back doesn't sound like there is bondo there, everything seems close to stock.

However I can tell someone has been screwing around in the engine bay and probably didn't know what they're doing. Loose parts, missing plastic shields, that sort of thing.

The speedometer seems accurate, I'm not sure if this is surprising - shouldn't it be off? Is there a different VSS or something with the wagons or does the gauge just go higher (with the same spacing between the numbers)?
        Last edited by aluminum13; 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

My wagon had speedo and odometer issues because of corrosion on the printed circuit board in the cluster. I installed a PCB from a sedan and got everything working, but the speedo was off. I installed a 130 mph speedo (kept the original odometer) and that brought it back to close to correct.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
            My wagon had speedo and odometer issues because of corrosion on the printed circuit board in the cluster. I installed a PCB from a sedan and got everything working, but the speedo was off. I installed a 130 mph speedo (kept the original odometer) and that brought it back to close to correct.
            Useful. I didn't realize the parts in the cluster could be mixed and matched. Was that a simple process or a pain?

When you say "close to correct" do you mean...close as in most typical speedometers are a few MPH too high (but consistent about it) or do you mean it still didn't really work right (for instance was too high at lower speeds and too low at higher). I'd just go out and drive it to test it myself but I have the whole intake pulled off and I'm considering pulling out other parts of the dash soon.

I do have gps and such to track my speed if I really want but I want gauges I can rely on, ya know?

I'm guessing that if I tell the cops I was speeding because my speedometer doesn't actually go to 140 like it's supposed to it probably won't go over well.

Comment

I think it is within 2 mph. Taking the cluster apart and swapping components is easier than getting the gauge cluster out in the first place.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                I think it is within 2 mph. Taking the cluster apart and swapping components is easier than getting the gauge cluster out in the first place.
                Well that'll do it then, maybe if I change the dash in there I'll pull it all out and get a 140 one from the yard because I'm nagged a bit not having it stock.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X